gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:50:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could The Beach Boys and nothing but The Beach Boys play live?  (Read 12102 times)
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »

The Beach Boys have been augmented by extra musicians on stage since the late 60s but could the Beach Boys of today (assuming they'd even get on stage together again) still put on a show on their own, even without Foskett!  ...Okay, I'll allow them a drummer:

Mike: Vocals and (ahem) Sax
Brian: Vocals, Bass or Keyboards
Bruce: Vocals, Keyboards or Bass (no handclaps or scissor kicks!)
David: Vocals, Lead Guitar
Al: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
AN Other: Drums

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »

I would pay more to watch that than the Beach Boys augmented by so many side men. No matter the sound, I would like it to happen.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

I don't think it would be possible without extra singers. Musically, David is the only one I have complete confidence in.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »

They could probably play once but not tour. I can't see Brian, Al or Bruce being able to carry the group's falsetto for more than a couple shows. I also think they would probably all have to play with teleprompters with reminders for chords.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »

Early on in the C50 tour they sang In My Room with a simple arrangement that was basically Brian, Bruce, Al, and Mike.  with a little Dave and a little Jeff. However, as the tour went on Jeff  overpowered them. I would have loved to have heard the 4 of them do that more on tour, ( they did with Add Some Music too)  with Graduation Day or Hearts were Full of Spring.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »

In Terre Haute, Indiana, fall of 1981, I saw Bruce, Alan, Mike and, I think, Ed Carter, do the first 30 minutes of a show with the drummer from the opening act ("Red Rider").  Five musicians on stage, no one else.  Brian and the rest of the musicians arrived later (Dennis stayed at the hotel).  Material was much simpler that tour... Surfin'... Surfin' Safari... etc... but it sounded OK.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »

The Beach Boys have been augmented by extra musicians on stage since the late 60s but could the Beach Boys of today (assuming they'd even get on stage together again) still put on a show on their own, even without Foskett!  ...Okay, I'll allow them a drummer:

What about Ricky on Drums?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

It might be interesting, but I just don't believe it would be very good. If we're talking about something like the typical BW or M&B bands' hits shows, neither their voices nor instrumental chops (Dave as the exception) are up to it. Instrumentally, they augmented the band in the '60s because the songs got harder and included arrangements that required it. You could have stripped-down arrangements, but they'd be comparably dull. And vocally, all good wishes and optimism aside, there's just no way they could handle the falsettos or higher non-falsetto parts consistently in a way that could result in any kind of aesthetic success. (That's the nicest way I can say it.) The guys who still sing falsetto on occasion don't sound anywhere near as clear or strong as the songs deserve, and really even the leads are taxing for them half the time. Brian misses notes all the time. Al, while still possessing a great timbre and stronger range than Brian, is clearly reaching on the higher notes. Bruce is raspy every time I hear him.

I don't mean this to be negative, just honest. There would be sentimental value for the audience, presumably, and that might make it "sound" better than it sounds. (I firmly believe in that phenomenon in live settings anyway: if it's fun, it sounds better. That's the energy.) But the music deserves to be presented by people who can really pull it off, and those guys can't.

(The lack of a drummer is a challenge, too. Even if you got Brian to bang out his little Spector bits, then you're out either a bassist or keyboardist.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

Early on in the C50 tour they sang In My Room with a simple arrangement that was basically Brian, Bruce, Al, and Mike.  with a little Dave and a little Jeff. However, as the tour went on Jeff  overpowered them. I would have loved to have heard the 4 of them do that more on tour, ( they did with Add Some Music too)  with Graduation Day or Hearts were Full of Spring.

Like this?  I thought they sounded pretty good. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbNxH0_9C8
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »

I'm fine with the extra padding.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

Problem for me is they may be concentrating so hard on playing that the vocals would suffer, and that's what its all about.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »

I think with a lot of rehearsal and choosing the right material, they probably could (in theory anyway) - would have been cool to see them do a little mini-set like that during the anniversary tour.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »

Why do people want to see this? The Beach Boys haven't played without backing musicians since 1967, and they don't have a full lineup anymore.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »

A different league of course but the Stones did it I guess to show they could still rock as a small unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goLIKQwGNGg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »

I think they could, sure.  It'd be a much different sound than what they're famous for.  Hell David and Al playing guitar could get enough of a cacophony going that it would be 'music'.  Add Brian and Bruce padding in some keyboards and you'd have a nice little groove going. 
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »

What about Ricky on Drums?

Yup. Throw Blondie in there on guitar and vocals, and dang... now that would be a treat.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 01:36:38 AM »

First, they would have to be really into it. They would have to want to do it. If that's a given, you got yourself a motivated Brian and that's the main thing ("It's a Love thing!"). Then they'd have to rehearse their asses off. Choose maybe 10 tracks to work on and arrange those for the given situation. It'd be a short show, but - again, if Brian and company were really into it - it be magnificent. I'm certain of it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »

This is probably going to get me in trouble, but I'll say it anyway. I think the "A Vocal Element" bootleg set of 1967 shows are fairly good evidence that the beach boys haven't always been the greatest of musicians. They would have to really take it seriously. A "stripped down" version of the surviving group would be shaky vocally. Bruce has a high enough of a register left that he could handle the harder notes. Could Brian or Bruce play the bass for the full show? If they had Scott Totten and John Cowsill it could be damn good.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

Blondie can also play bass as he did for the Stones.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 05:58:07 AM »

Blondie can also play bass as he did for the Stones.

I thought Daryl Jones was playing bass for the Stones?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »

Simply... no. Vocally, probably but instrumentally... why do you think there were as many backing guys as there were in 2012 ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »

The Beach Boys have been augmented by extra musicians on stage since the late 60s but could the Beach Boys of today (assuming they'd even get on stage together again) still put on a show on their own, even without Foskett!  ...Okay, I'll allow them a drummer:

First, they would have to be really into it. They would have to want to do it. If that's a given, you got yourself a motivated Brian and that's the main thing ("It's a Love thing!"). Then they'd have to rehearse their asses off. Choose maybe 10 tracks to work on and arrange those for the given situation. It'd be a short show, but - again, if Brian and company were really into it - it be magnificent. I'm certain of it.

I agree that, if they wanted to, they could pull off the early  hits with a minimum of help. They did them live in those days as a five man group, even with the Wrecking Crew providing more meat on the tracks.  I think they can still pull out those harmonies, so drums and falsetto might be the only thing they would really need help with on those songs.  The problem comes when you get into Pet Sounds/Smile territory.  Playing them with a bare bones garage band would rob them of some of their essential complexity.  

Having said that, though, I really liked the acoustic set they did for Rolling Stone on the C50 promotion tour. Something like that would be an awesome experience. An "unplugged" concert to showcase those glorious vocal arrangements. David and Al on guitar, someone thumping a cajon,  Matt giving some falsetto assist, and Beach Boys harmonies filling the hall… yeah, I'd pay to see that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:41:11 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »

Sorry about the double post. I keep hitting the wrong button. :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:40:08 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »

No, I don't reckon they could do it any more.  For one thing, would Brian be able to resist doing the hand jive and keep his hands on the keys?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »

As some have eluded to, this could probably work with *some* of the early hits. However, five people playing "Good Vibrations"..."Heroes and Villains"...? No way, at least not THESE five guys.

Mike's role wouldn't change. Bruce has said before he's not a great bassist, so I wouldn't count on him. I'd like to think he still has his 60's keyboard chops, he just doesn't use them? I don't know, he's strange. Alan can hold down a rhythm part, sure. David would especially shine in this setting as he's easily the most competent musician of the bunch right now. And obviously Brian would be worthless in this setting.

So my response is, add a bassist to that drummer you mentioned and this MIGHT fly with songs like "I Get Around" "Surfin' USA" "California Girls" etc.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx