gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:54:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could The Beach Boys and nothing but The Beach Boys play live?  (Read 12185 times)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

and spoil his fun?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »

Horowitz played fantastically  well into his 80's. I can't imagine the ridicule he would have received if he had some other pianist off in the wing play his part while he mimed it. I guess the rock world and the classical world are just very different places.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

Uh, think so?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »

To me, the BBs are mostly a vocal group. Not a rock band. Their greatest records often featured session guys (not exclusively, as was once believed, but here and there from early on). They barely play on PS or Good Vibes. But those are still archetypal BB records.

So I don't mind sidemen. I would have liked the sidemen to sing less. That original vocal blend is what I came to hear. And for a few tunes on the C50 tour, they did it. And it sounded great.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:20:48 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

I don't think they could pull off a full show live. They could probably do a few songs -- I think "Surfer Girl" would be a really good one, even if it was just Dave on acoustic guitar and no one else playing -- but not a whole show and not some of the more complicated songs instrumentally.

After TWGMTR came out and before the acrimony at the end of the C50 tour, I thought there was a good shot at having another Beach Boys album. I was thinking it would be really great to have a track on it with just the five of them providing all the instruments and voices.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

I am a musician.  Have been for 40 years.  You're still on my lawn.
And I knew that? Also, I said "most", not "all" musicians are whining. And I still don't find anything bad about calling someone an old-timer. Truth can be bitter, but you gotta face it.

but not a whole show and not some of the more complicated songs instrumentally.
I disagree. More rehearsals with less instruments would do fine. In a sort of stripped-down fashion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »

I agree with those who say what's the point. So they use other musicians, so do many other bands. If it makes the concert sound better who cares? The stones started using extra musicians in 1970 as well. Not because they couldn't play the parts but because they wanted to give people their money's worth.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »

it would be great just for one last time, to see all the 'guys'....

Brian - Keys
Alan - Guitar (or Bass)
Dave - Guitar
Bruce - Keys/Bass
Mike

(and John Stamos  Grin ) Drums....

sit down together and do something together....... even without instruments, and do some accapella stuff....

That's what I would kill for!

They are still the freakin' Beach Boys, I don't believe they cant do great ShitE between the remaining members....

its probably actually what a lot of us here want!... No???

RickB

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:54:57 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »

I agree with those who say what's the point. So they use other musicians, so do many other bands. If it makes the concert sound better who cares? The stones started using extra musicians in 1970 as well. Not because they couldn't play the parts but because they wanted to give people their money's worth.

Exactly. It's not like it's band like Roxy Music...post 2001, so many people on stage that one might be fooled into thinking they're watching a philharmonic orchestra rather than a rock band. And don't get me started on the female backup singers, which every British band of a certain vintage added (especially daft in Roxy's case, as there were no backup vocals on the albums to begin with).

But I digress.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:51 AM »

I agree and disagree with the "what's the point?" sentiment, depending on what the thread is actually about.

If it's a for-fun exercise--i.e., the stuff of message boards--simply asking the question with no consequences or judgments, but just that question--could they do a passable version of a show with no extraneous players?--then my answer as previously said in the thread is basically no, not in a truly viable, high-quality way. The instrumental performances would be rudimentary and the voices would be strained, rough around the edges, and incapable of the beautiful high tenors that their catalog is largely built on (be it for leads or backgrounds).

But if the question is whether it matters whether the answer to the above is yes or no, whether the experience of a show with someone other than the core band participating is somehow diminished (even if the quality of the show were diminished as well), then I don't think it matters. Music is the thing one hears. All the rest--back story, nostalgia, personally relevant or meaningful experiences--might matter to anyone, but not to everyone. They color one's own experience. The music is just the music. If it takes different or more (or less) people to make, then that's fine. It's actually why I have for years held the unpopular position in favor of the Wilson band's non-Brian members taking more leads, not less. I'll take Darian on Darlin' any day over Brian, for example. The band themselves understood this from very early days, which is why they brought in musicians to supplement both studio and (a few years later) live performances: presenting the music is what matters most.

Just my twaddle.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »

Forget it. Alan will never bother to learn the chords to "That's Why God Made The Radio". Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »

Not possible. When was the last time you heard Brian perform an entire song at the piano, just by himself? 1991? Having said that, the one C50 show attended was great in that you heard the core members+Jeff throughout. Most of the time, it was impossible to tell what part Darian or Probyn or Scott were singing. Probably doubling, at a much lower volume. The blend that those four plus a competent falsettist like Jeff were able to produce is still extraordinary. THAT is what you pay to see at a reunion show.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »

Is there a recording of that C50 show?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »

Is there a recording of that C50 show?

I'm sure it was the same in most if not all of the shows. Mine was NO Jazz Fest

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »

Not possible. When was the last time you heard Brian perform an entire song at the piano, just by himself? 1991?

1996, I think. NAS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 05:37:45 AM »

Not possible. When was the last time you heard Brian perform an entire song at the piano, just by himself? 1991?

1996, I think. NAS.

Does "Beautiful Dreamer" count?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »

Didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone beat me to this point, but:  Put Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Dave onstage together, then bring Carl Wilson back to life and put him right out front…and, yeah, they could perform live.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »

Shouldn't be THAT hard! Roll Eyes

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »

This is probably the closest we will ever get:
Help Me, Rhonda  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTQT4QePU8
I Get Around  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGbh9oQ5b8w
From the Grammy Museum- Brian, Mike, Al, David unplugged and augmented vocally by Jeff and Scott.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:24 AM »

This is probably the closest we will ever get:
Help Me, Rhonda  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTQT4QePU8
I Get Around  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGbh9oQ5b8w
From the Grammy Museum- Brian, Mike, Al, David unplugged and augmented vocally by Jeff and Scott.

Especially IGA really rocks! Visually though it looks like "Live from their old people's home, THE BEACH BOYS!" Cheesy

BTW, I could easily imagine the five them doing "Surfin'" all on their own, with Dave on guitar, Al on stand-up bass and Brian not singing but on snare drum. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:14:45 AM by Micha » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx