gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:35:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could The Beach Boys and nothing but The Beach Boys play live?  (Read 12101 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:09:23 AM »

The Beach Boys haven't sounded that great without augmentation since 1967. Still, I would like to hear it.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »

Brian did Good Vibrations by himself on piano in 76. I think they would be capable of doing a full set worth of songs in a garage style and make them sound good.  The question is, could they do it for that long straight?  I doubt it. I think a more likely scenerio is like Brian's Smile tour when they did the stripped down section.  They did that with Add Some Music, but if they did 5 or 6 songs in a row during the reunion tour of just Beach Boys,  it would have been cool.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

I don't think The Beach Boys could do with anything less than what Mike and Bruce are touring with now - and even then, they're touring with instrumentalists far younger and skilled than what Al, Brian, or even Bruce can do consistently.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »

Would be fine with addition o cowsill,foskett and kirsch.   8 guys.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »

I think adding Ricky and Blondie are the only way that "just the Beach Boys" could do it.

Brian - piano and vocals (and maaaaaaaaaaaybe a song or two on bass)
Mike - vocals (and that trusty tambourine of his)
Al - bass and rhythm guitar, vocals
Bruce - organ, piano, simple synthesizer parts, bass, vocals
David - lead guitar and vocals
Blondie - lead guitar, bass, vocals
Ricky - drums, keyboards, guitar, vocals

The only thing really missing is a strong falsetto but you can get around that by catering the set list to the band's strengths. 

The whole thing of course is a HUGE pipe dream which is why I included the South African guys.    If you're gonna dream, dream big! Smiley

And speaking of dreams, the alternative is to cater the set around available footage/multitracks featuring Carl and Dennis and include them instead and do the whole show similar to the Carl-centric C50 performances of "God Only Knows". 
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 12:29:39 PM »

My band used to do Good Vibrations, Sloop John B, and the early hits as a three piece (guitar, bass and drums).  We could've done with some organ, and more vocals! 

The Beach Boys could easily do something like Lei'd in Hawaii, with the organ and some guitars.  Even the drums were pretty basic.  I too would have loved to have heard them do a stripped down mini set during C50.  This was a really big missed opportunity in my book, more so not taking the chance to do something like "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" as a last hurrah for the greatest vocal group of them all.
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »

Yeah, but I don't think "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" sang by 5 men in their sixties and seventies is going to sound the same as the five men in their teens and twenties who sang it in the 1960s, it would probably be a bit off an embarrassment; whence the half a dozen extra vocalists needed on stage to make them sound nearly half as good as they did back in the day.  And of course none of these vocalists can sing like Carl Wilson.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »

Yeah, but I don't think "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" sang by 5 men in their sixties and seventies is going to sound the same as the five men in their teens and twenties who sang it in the 1960s, it would probably be a bit off an embarrassment; whence the half a dozen extra vocalists needed on stage to make them sound nearly half as good as they did back in the day.  And of course none of these vocalists can sing like Carl Wilson.

I agree, but it may sound more like the guys who sang it in the 80s.  Bruce could handle the falsetto on it.  I think it would still be pretty good (if they rehearsed it thoroughly).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »

3 in their 60s and 70s plus a few sidemen sound pretty good to these ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6BxTdbZlAg
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

These other 70 year olds do a pretty nice version too. Bruce still up there hitting some high ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS6jiPEWHY
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »

These other 70 year olds do a pretty nice version too. Bruce still up there hitting some high ones.

Great mid-song mic adjustment by Bruce.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »

if they rehearsed it thoroughly
That's the key in answering the topic question. Of course, it's not difficult for old guys to sing & play. Age is no excuse. They're just being lazy & all whining like most old-timers do, that's why they call on sidemen. There need be someone who'd shake 'em off of their "trance". I'd really like to see 5 original BBs together w/ no odd figures. It'd be huge, I'll tell ya!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

Mike: Vocals and (ahem) Sax
is it really Mike blasting away on "What'd I Say"? Sounds good to me----in fact the entire band is in stupendous form...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFsy9fIaqQ 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 06:53:32 AM »

That's the key in answering the topic question. Of course, it's not difficult for old guys to sing & play. Age is no excuse. They're just being lazy & all whining like most old-timers do, that's why they call on sidemen. There need be someone who'd shake 'em off of their "trance". I'd really like to see 5 original BBs together w/ no odd figures. It'd be huge, I'll tell ya!

I assume this is a joke.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »

No, why would you say so?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »

Probably the combination of obvious inaccuracy about age's obvious effects on voices and offensive insinuation that older people are typically lazy and whiny. So if you're not joking, it's just safe to say you're wrong and rude.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:09 AM »

How about bad phrasing? My intent wasn't to be rude, just express my own opinion like everybody. As to being wrong, well, yes, the age makes a big difference in voice, but don't you think that if they rehearsed extensively that they would go on with a show alone, only 5 guys? It may not be achieved suddenly, but little by little, I'm sure it's not a fantasy world thing.

As a fan, you just gotta be positive. Mike, Al, David & Bruce already have energy enough to be on their own, now we need to instill an enthusiasm in Brian. I think it's not totally a hopeless situation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:49:38 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »

No further comment.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »

Does it mean you agree with me?

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:39 AM »

I don't know at what age you consider someone to be an old-timer, but I turned 58 today, and I am not a lazy whiner.  Now get off my lawn. Old Man
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »

I don't know at what age you consider someone to be an old-timer, but I turned 58 today, and I am not a lazy whiner.  Now get off my lawn. Old Man
Well, by old-timers I meant exclusively old musicians, as it's a musical forum. I don't know the general statistics or whatever. So your last bit is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:50:56 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »

They could maybe do it, like they did it with Brian in '67 — transforming songs into Smiley Smile-type arrangements
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

I don't know at what age you consider someone to be an old-timer, but I turned 58 today, and I am not a lazy whiner.  Now get off my lawn. Old Man
Well, by old-timers I meant exclusively old musicians, as it's a musical forum. I don't know the general statistics or whatever. So your last bit is irrelevant.

I am a musician.  Have been for 40 years.  You're still on my lawn.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »

Not to argue, but Judy Collins can still sing like a bird - live and otherwise.  Also check some of the "oldie's" sets Neil Young was doing earlier this year.  I think Mike Nesmith stills sounds good too.  Jimmy Webb is better than ever, he just gets more confident with age - he doesn't care if he can't hit the high notes, he's doing "Up, Up and Away" damn it.  As Crosby used to say..."without a net."  For the fans.
and  Happy Birthday LostArt!
Seems our fingers are still working...
On topic, I think they are all doing just fine as old folks.  I've been checking some of the recent Mike and Bruce shows on youtube - they've got a Rockin' Set!  "Goin' to the Beach" Works the Curve.  Hit after Hit fast and tight.  Cowsill is fantastic.  Jeff is adding a lot to the harmonies.  That is a small band sounding Big.  Brian's tour last year had many gems along the road.  I hope he makes it to the East Coast this year, or next.
I think they could do it now, but without Carl, for me, it will never be the same.  They sounded great in the 80's, I saw them every chance I got.  I would have enjoyed more deep cuts, but I kept putting my money down for what they did give us.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »

Great mid-song mic adjustment by Bruce.

yes, around the 30 second mark. Does Bruce ever have  a word with the roadies about this?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx