gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:41:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone explain how R&R Music was a Top 10 hit for 6 weeks?  (Read 7625 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

That is a great version ( except Mike blows the lead on a verse) I think the Midnight Special one a few years later is even better.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

I LOVE the album version. The single version is compressed as hell and you can barely hear most of the parts, as is everything the BBs mixed without Brian from the mid-late '70s.

Thing is, I think you have it backwards...I think the single mix was Brian's. I know it read it here somewhere that Brian's original mixes for that, and indeed the rest of the album, were rejected.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

I LOVE the album version. The single version is compressed as hell and you can barely hear most of the parts, as is everything the BBs mixed without Brian from the mid-late '70s.

Thing is, I think you have it backwards...I think the single mix was Brian's. I know it read it here somewhere that Brian's original mixes for that, and indeed the rest of the album, were rejected.

Nah, I think you have it backerds.  The Hot( single) mix is Carl. the album is part of Brian's vision

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »

"It's OK" starts cold (no real intro) and is barely 2:00 long at best with a sizable fade-out.. for 1976 radio its too short. This is a song that needed someone to write a beginning to! Shocked

You're right. And Kayla Williams did a nice job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnhTZObOTcU

Wow, that is a great one!  Absolutely love Kayla Williams' BB covers!

I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard Rock n Roll Music - driving by the beach in Del Mar, Calif.  I had just pushed a button to change the station and heard the song, on AM radio, about 30 seconds in.  My thoughts were, "Wow, that's the Beach Boys," and, "I absolutely love this rendition of the song!" 

Perhaps someone can answer this question - "Why was there ever an album version in the first place?"  The single mix was released before the album and is vastly superior.  I find it baffling that the album version is on most of the comps, other than the fact that such a move seems par for the course for the BBs. 

And another question - "Who was responsible for the single mix vs the album mix?"  The single had been on the charts for 5 weeks and was already a top 20 song in the US when 15 Big Ones was released, so why did they stick a far less punchy and rather anemic sounding mix on the album?

I had never thought of that before. That makes it even more mind boggling that the album version was ever released at all!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 12:47:50 AM »

It's amazing how wild the crowd gets when The Beach Boys launch into "Rock and Roll Music" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i93s023sONQ

I haven't watched this in years and forgot just how much Mike brings the FUNK with his crazy outlandish dance moves!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx