gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680741 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:50:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to be on Howard Stern show  (Read 4562 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »

A member on SFTV has mentioned that it was announced yesterday on Howard Stern that Brian would be on the show very soon for an interview...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/howard-stern-going-to-interview-neil-young.375840/#post-10940626
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »

sh*t's gonna go down, Brianism-wise. Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:01:54 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »

Stern's interviewed Brian before. 1998, I think.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

Stern's interviewed Brian before. 1998, I think.
Yup. That's why I'm looking forward to this one. Grin
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »

Wasn't Brian also on during the Landy years? I think it's mentioned in the Mike Love Stern interview from 1992.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »

Yeah, it was from 1992 I think.  I have a tape of it.  Quite a funny interview.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »

That should be pretty cool.

I guess the promo is starting for the album pretty soon.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »

Nice! This could be one of the best BW interviews in years.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »

Twice a day, every day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »

LOL

That was such an awesome quote

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »

This could be a cracker.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »

This is really a bad idea.  Howard Stern thrives on mocking and making fun of guests.  Unless BW is really on and conversational, which is rare, he does not belong on this show.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »

This is really a bad idea.  Howard Stern thrives on mocking and making fun of guests. 

Maybe 20 years ago. Today he is probably the best interviewer in media.

Unless BW is really on and conversational, which is rare, he does not belong on this show.

He's already been on the show. And he did fine.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »

This is really a bad idea.  Howard Stern thrives on mocking and making fun of guests.  Unless BW is really on and conversational, which is rare, he does not belong on this show.

Not true anymore.  Howard has developed into the best interviewer in the world.  He gets questions answered that nobody else does.  He's just that good.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »

Agreed. He has a way of getting his guests to 'cut the sh*t' and talk frankly. Brian did well when he was on there before...he'll do fine now.

Off topic, but I remember when Scott Weiland was on there a few years back, and the subject of his drug addiction came up, and specifically the cause of it. Anyway, long story short, Weiland admitted than he was raped when he was like 10 or something. Howard was very gentle during the rest of the interview, for the most part.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »

I've never really liked Howard but I've frequently seen him be a really intelligent interviewer.  The 'shock jock' stuff had a time and place, but he doesn't go there on every interview... i'm sure it'll be a good interview.  Brian's pretty crazy anyways, I doubt Howard could ask him anything he wouldn't want to answer.  Ultimately you NEED somebody to ask Brian weird questions to get him to give decent answers.   Ask him the standard stuff and it'll be a snooze fest.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »

Agreed. He has a way of getting his guests to 'cut the sh*t' and talk frankly. Brian did well when he was on there before...he'll do fine now.

Off topic, but I remember when Scott Weiland was on there a few years back, and the subject of his drug addiction came up, and specifically the cause of it. Anyway, long story short, Weiland admitted than he was raped when he was like 10 or something. Howard was very gentle during the rest of the interview, for the most part.

I post the thing about Scott Weiland, and a few hours later a news report comes out that he'd been arrested for burglary and meth possession. Of course, an hour after THAT, a retraction is issued when it turns out it was a dude who was 3 years younger and a couple of inches taller who gave a false name upon his arrest.  Jeez.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 05:04:43 AM »

I lost all respect for Stern after hearing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScAFQM1ULY
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »

I lost all respect for Stern after hearing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScAFQM1ULY

I don't have sound on my computer as I'm at work. What did he say about the Ox?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »

Nothing that controversial. His basic point was that The Who would be able to go on without Entwistle (he was correct), that he didn't move much on stage, and that he seemed like he was in bad shape for years.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »

Stern has had some blunt, and sometimes simultaneously offensive and hilarious opinions on stuff like this. I remember when the Beatles did their reunion stuff in 1995, Stern was making fun of the whole thing. Pointing out (correctly) that the “Threetles” when interviewed together seemed kind of awkward, especially Harrison’s attitude towards McCartney. He played “Free As a Bird” and started singing over it with lyrics about Harrison needing money (it was in the papers, again apparently correctly, that Harrison was hurting in the funds department because of his ex-manager situation, and did the “Anthology” project at least in part for the funds).

I recall when he had Julian Lennon on that that was pretty entertaining as well. He was kind of brutal about Yoko as I recall.

His interviews with both Love and Brian (in 1998) are great. Yes, he asks some lewd questions, but he also asks a ton of stuff nobody else asks, and he often if not usually gets answers. His 1998 interview with Ringo is hilarious too.

And Stern does know the history of these groups more than probably most on the radio these days. He’s actually a fan. I remember at least once he made a random Brian reference on his show. Comedian Pat Cooper was going nuts about something, and he jokingly referenced, “I’ve just been handed a note. It says ‘Pat Cooper is nuts. Signed, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys’.”

Of course, I haven’t heard Stern in probably 10 years at least, so I dunno if he’s better or worse now. Some are suggesting he toned down the boring stripper stuff (great, strippers on the radio?) and does good interviews.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 06:40:12 AM »

I don't have sound on my computer as I'm at work. What did he say about the Ox?

Very, very ignorant opinion of him as a bass player and of Who as a band. Introduces by sarcastically calling his death a "giant blow to the music industry" with the annoying girl laughing in the background. Laughs and says "you gotta be kidding me" when fan calls to defend Entwistle as a bass player and Townshend as a guitarist. Then plays the "haha you loser fanboy" card with the poor dude. Kinda similar to the reaction a person who has heard nothing by The Beach Boys except for Kokomo would have when you tried to explain them that they're actually an amazing band. As I said, he's lost all credibility for me, I can't take him seriously with anything music-related any more.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:42:16 AM by Ovi » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »

Very, very ignorant opinion of him as a bass player and of Who as a band. Introduces by sarcastically calling his death a "giant blow to the music industry" with the annoying girl laughing in the background. Laughs and says "you gotta be kidding me" when fan calls to defend Entwistle as a bass player and Townshend as a guitarist. Then plays the "haha you loser fanboy" card with the poor dude. Kinda similar to the reaction a person who has heard nothing by The Beach Boys except for Kokomo would have when you tried to explain them that they're actually an amazing band. As I said, he's lost all credibility for me, I can't take him seriously with anything music-related any more.

In the clip he outright accepts that Entwistle may very well be the greatest or one of the greatest rock bass players so I think that you're missing the point. Stern himself name checks "Boris the Spider" as well, so he hardly seems ignorant.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »

This is really a bad idea.  Howard Stern thrives on mocking and making fun of guests. 

Maybe 20 years ago. Today he is probably the best interviewer in media.

Unless BW is really on and conversational, which is rare, he does not belong on this show.

He's already been on the show. And he did fine.
I agree -- Stern's a great interviewer!  He asks what's on his mind -- which is what's on people's minds -- which is what makes a great interviewer.  Brian's 1998 interview with Stern is one of my favorite Brian interviews. 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:38 AM »

I started listening to Stern's FM show in the 80's, when he first got picked up in Philly on WYSP. This was when he was only heard in New York, Philly, and then soon after Washington DC. Terrific radio. Then I lost him for a bit in Boston, and just stopped listening for no particular reason. I haven't heard much of him from the mid-90's onward. But in those 80's/90's days, it was great because Stern would have musicians come on, and it was such a shoestring budget he had that they'd have one guitar and usually a cheap keyboard available if the musician wanted to play, and that was it. Yet - I remember Joe Walsh came on, played and sang "Desperado" on the cheap keyboard, and it was terrific. Papa John was also a guest...on Stern's cable TV show, Papa John was doing a new song that wasn't going so well and Stern and company started singing the vocal riff from Monday Monday over it.  Cheesy

I mention this too because in the Philly/WYSP years, his show would start at 6AM, but he wouldn't come on for about 10-15 minutes. In that time they'd play a montage of various famous and infamous audio clips, previous song performances, etc. Then they'd cue up a Duke Ellington record from the 40's called "In A Mello Tone", and Stern would start the broadcast live.

One of those clips they'd play often in the montage was Mike Love at the R&R Hall Of Fame. So even before the internet and instant searches, thousands of Stern fans heard that clip of Mike's speech on an almost weekly basis.

Keep in mind too that Stern was a rock DJ in the 70's and a rock fan who grew up in the 60's, so he knows the history and the players. The previous interviews he did with Mike and Brian were good.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx