gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:39:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Celeste in Girl Don't Tell Me  (Read 3949 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »

I read the wonderful sessiongraphy by Craig on his website and I loved the fact that Brian used a Celeste on Girl Don't Tell Me. Was there a reason why it was used or how they were able to locate one? I even love the fact that it was even doubled by Brian as an insert!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »

I read the wonderful sessiongraphy by Craig on his website and I loved the fact that Brian used a Celeste on Girl Don't Tell Me. Was there a reason why it was used or how they were able to locate one? I even love the fact that it was even doubled by Brian as an insert!

Thanks, glad you like it! But just to clarify, it's Bruce who's actually playing the thing on "Girl Don't Tell Me"...and I don't recall that it was doubled...
As to how they ended up with it - just a guess, but maybe it was lying around the studio from a previous session? They were quite popular in those days...in fact, Brian had played one himself previously, on "Lana" from the "Surfin' U.S.A." album, and on "Little Saint Nick".
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

That's right Bruce plays Celeste on the track. I forgot, I haven't completely read the Summer Days sessionography in a while. I love having these credits now available, I have learned so much. Bruce on Celeste for Girl Don't Tell Me and Brian on Harpsichord for When I Grow Up To Be a Man.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »

Hey C-man, while we're at it, what's the latest update on the MiC sessionography?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:31:30 AM »

Hey C-man, while we're at it, what's the latest update on the MiC sessionography?

Volume One is completed and imminent. Hopefully it's down to a matter of days. Smiley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »

Thanks, glad you like it! But just to clarify, it's Bruce who's actually playing the thing on "Girl Don't Tell Me"...and I don't recall that it was doubled...
As to how they ended up with it - just a guess, but maybe it was lying around the studio from a previous session? They were quite popular in those days...in fact, Brian had played one himself previously, on "Lana" from the "Surfin' U.S.A." album, and on "Little Saint Nick".

Craig, on Little St Nick... Was it a celesta or a glockenspiel? They can sound alike. Can't listen to Lana now, but I thought it was a glockenspiel also.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »

Volume One is completed and imminent. Hopefully it's down to a matter of days. Smiley

Very excited! And deeply appreciative of all your incredibly hard work!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »

What he's not telling us that it's a matter of maybe 365 days.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »

Craig, on Little St Nick... Was it a celesta or a glockenspiel? They can sound alike. Can't listen to Lana now, but I thought it was a glockenspiel also.

Both, actually...they trade lines. And there's sleighbells, which I'm guessing you knew. Smiley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »

Craig,  We're waiting for this to be posted on the ESQ beachboysarchives.com, right?  If so, I'll bump it to the top of my favorites list.
Thanks for all the hard work (and time) you've put in on this project.  Sure it will be worth the wait.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »

Both, actually...they trade lines. And there's sleighbells, which I'm guessing you knew. Smiley

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's a celeste on "Lana"...compare to "Baby, It's You" on The Beatles' Please Please Me, which has been confimed as a celeste.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's a celeste on "Lana"...compare to "Baby, It's You" on The Beatles' Please Please Me, which has been confimed as a celeste.
They trade lines? Wow.

I see Andrew's bible makes it a glockenspiel on "Lana". I've always thought the same because it seemed to me I could hear the mallets at the end of bar 3. Maybe Brian was just thumping his celesta a little too enthusiastically...  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »

That's definately a celeste in the fade-out, right? Right towards the end as they keep repeating "Christmas comes this time each year".

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:47 AM »

That's definately a celeste in the fade-out, right? Right towards the end as they keep repeating "Christmas comes this time each year".

The celeste plays the lower line, the glock plays the higher.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx