gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:55:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somewhere, there's a person whose favorite Beach Boys LP is Summer in Paradise..  (Read 9150 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »

Summer In Paradise has 8 average to good songs:

- Hot Fun In The Summertime
- Island Fever
- Still Surfin'
- Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
- Strange Things Happen
- Lahaina Aloha
- Summer In Paradise
- Forever
You nearly nailed it, I would only replace "Island Fever"/"Summer Dancin'" with "Surfin'"/"Summer of Love". At least they have funny factor (Mike's voice in both cases).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »

I have always enjoyed SIP and have never been afraid to say that.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »

I paid under a dollar for a cassette of SIP.  I put it on every couple years.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 12:26:36 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:08:55 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 01:53:15 AM »

Summer In Paradise has 8 average to good songs:

- Hot Fun In The Summertime
- Island Fever
- Still Surfin'
- Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
- Strange Things Happen
- Lahaina Aloha
- Summer In Paradise
- Forever

The problems are the production which is bad, the album contains the worst BB song of all-time ("Summer Of Love"), and Brian Wilson didn't want to record with The Beach Boys. All three of those problems could've and should've been addressed.

And, "When Girls Get Together" is a good song, too. It's one of most sophisticated songs that Brian and Mike ever wrote.
I think that with a completely new set of lyrics and better production, Still Surfin' could have been as good as Somewhere Near Japan.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 04:06:05 AM »

Summer in Paradise was the first Beach Boys album that I bought. I was a teenger (don't know how old, maybe 17 or so) and I really liked the album except for a few songs. I really hated Hot Fun, Surfin', Remember Walking in the Sand and Under the Boardwalk. The other songs, even Summer of Love, weren't too bad. From today's point of view the production is really terrible and the songs and arrangements are badly executed. But I still listen to it from time to time and have good time.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 04:25:00 AM »

I've never heard the album. The live Summer in Paradise from MiC is my guiltiest pleasure, tho.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 04:44:27 AM »

I have SIP on vinyl, US cd and UK cd. I can't say I listen to it much other than Lahaina Aloha.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »

The only song on there that doesn't make my ears gush with blood is "Island Fever" (the original version).  The rest of it is pretty awful.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »

Summer in Paradise was the first Beach Boys album that I bought. I was a teenger (don't know how old, maybe 17 or so) and I really liked the album except for a few songs. I really hated Hot Fun, Surfin', Remember Walking in the Sand and Under the Boardwalk. The other songs, even Summer of Love, weren't too bad. From today's point of view the production is really terrible and the songs and arrangements are badly executed. But I still listen to it from time to time and have good time.

So basically you hated the covers.  Me too.  The rest isn't all that bad.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »

I've never heard the album. The live Summer in Paradise from MiC is my guiltiest pleasure, tho.

Love that live track too!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

It Ain't Me Babe
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »

I always liked Mike's bass voice on Hot Fun In The Summertime.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

It Ain't Me Babe
LOL (Saw Dylan in Melbourne, last night - fantastic stuff)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »

I don't dislike all the songs but the damn cd holder is innane.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »

It's not the worst album all times but it would be better by leaps and bounds with some vocals arrangements by one Brian Douglas Wilson.

PARADISE IS A STATE OF MIND

No mas, por favor.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »

i bought the us digipak on release (did it even make billboard hot 100), then traded it in after a few plays. i so wanted to like it, but had to give up. then, years later, i heard from an expert fan that the uk version had a softer, warmer mix, so i bought that second hand, with an illegible autograph scribbled inside the booklet. i don't even play it once a year. i like to ration my bb listening - both the good, the bad, and the awful, so that my favorite band will always sound fresh and exciting. i think the title track is the best thing on there, with a lovely guest vocal by roger mcguinn, iirc.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:20 AM »

So basically you hated the covers.  Me too.  The rest isn't all that bad.

never thought about it this way, but this pretty much nails it
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

I own over 3,000 CDs, and the very best and the very worst of those are both by the same band. That's pretty incredible. In all it's awfulness, 'Summer in Paradise' is actually one of the reasons why The Beach Boys are such an endlessly fascinating band and I appreciate it for that.

Oh, and I love the cover art.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »

Somewhere, there's a person whose favorite Beach Boys LP is Summer in Paradise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2sex1mJNI

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

I own over 3,000 CDs, and the very best and the very worst of those are both by the same band. That's pretty incredible. In all it's awfulness, 'Summer in Paradise' is actually one of the reasons why The Beach Boys are such an endlessly fascinating band and I appreciate it for that.

Oh, and I love the cover art.
I also like the poster that's included in the pocket of the unique CD case. It unfolds so nicely. When the album came out I ordered a calendar with 12 months(pics) of that fabulous artwork. I think I got the address to order it from BBFUN.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 08:14:38 AM »

Nowhere near my favorite album (in fact, it's in my bottom 5 BBs albums, for sure) but there are some nice moments on the CD, despite how dated and terrible the production is.  The non-Mike vocals throughout the album are nice, especially One Summer Night and STrange Things Happen.  Lahaina Aloha is a standout, and the live performances of the title track are quite nice.... (MIC) version is pretty cool. 

Summer of Love is without question the worst track ever to bear the name The Beach Boys on it.  Truly abysmal.  Remember Walkin In The Sand is also pretty bad and the Surfin' remake is quite bad, despite nice vocals from CW. 

I have owned two copies of this....bought one at a local music store in 1993 and lost it somewhere over the years...bought another copy used around 2000 for $3.95.  Every so often, I'll skim through it on my iPod. 

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »

Summer in Paradise is the first album that didn't have a single track that was of the times.  Still Cruisin had Kokamo. BB85 had some new wave type songs and Carl's Where I Belong sounds like a solid 80s RnB track. KTSA title track had a solid retro rock soun of the day. LALA, not sure if disco was dated by then. MIU, uhh, got me there. But I like it a lot more than SIP. Love You and 15 Big One's are sort of Brian's washed up punk albums.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

The cover art is superb. The sound quality is above average. If you own the lp, it would make a nice rolling tray. It has some very famous people on it like Carl Wilson. It was the best Beach Boys album released between 1990 - 1992 (GH collections not included). One of the main songwriters was Mike Love who met some of the Beatles once in India. I could go on and on saying nice things about it actually. Still one of the worst albums by a major rock band ever made. It adds extra space to your cd collection if you can get a hold of a copy.

Yes, but is the CD of coaster quality? I need to know these things before purchasing.
It would need a coat of polyurethane.     Water would ruin the cardboard sleeve.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »

Summer in Paradise is the first album that didn't have a single track that was of the times. 

Meh.  Lahaina Aloha & SIP both fit the time well enough.  Forever is timeless, so that one does too.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx