gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681288 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 12:20:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somewhere, there's a person whose favorite Beach Boys LP is Summer in Paradise..  (Read 9221 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »

When it comes to movies that are generally universally regarded as awful, I still tend to think that there’s got to be someone out there who has decided that is their favorite movie.

And I wonder, can the same be said for Beach Boys albums and songs (that are generally considered amongst their worst)? Is there someone whose favorite BB song is “When Girls Get Together” and another person whose favorite BB album is “Summer in Paradise”?
Or (gasp) the NASCAR album?

We surely all have BB guilty pleasures, but I wonder how far those guilty pleasures go with some people.

Discuss…
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

Personally, I like "Summer In Paradise," and I'd go so far as to say I rather enjoy it. But even then, I still think it is one of their weakest albums.

If there is one person in this world who's favorite Beach Boys album is "SIP," I think his name is probably Michael Edward Love.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:14:30 AM by ppk700 » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »

I believe that every album/band/song is someone's favorite album/band/song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »

I believe that every album/band/song is someone's favorite album/band/song.

These are my thoughts exactly. Somewhere on Planet Earth...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »

yes my good friend Bertha says it is her favorite album of all times... here's a photo of her..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »

Summer In Paradise is their worst album, but even with that it is still a 1/2 good album. Now, When Girls Get Together is by far my least favorite track in their whole catalog. Yuk!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

I prefer SIP over Surfin Safari and 15 Big Ones and rank it about the same as BB85. I doubt anyone would call SIP their favourite album though.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »

I prefer SIP over Surfin Safari and 15 Big Ones and rank it about the same as BB85. I doubt anyone would call SIP their favourite album though.

This.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »

I liked the song SIP performed live back around 93.  I think the album was poorly conceived, produced, and mixed.  These were some classic songs and could have been given a much better sounding BB treatment. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »

This.
I think The Beach Boys is miles better than Summer in Paradise... Tongue
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »

Wow. The best I can say for SIP is that the title cut is passable. I've never disliked "When Girls Get Together". Always imagine a psychedelic Sunday at a park where everyone is moving in slow motion. The tune did not belong on KTSA.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »

This.

This.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »

This.

I actually think it's quite good. It does have its flaws but it's still a good album with occasional glimpses of brilliance. I even prefer it over TWGMTR, mostly because of Carl's singing and the fact that it does sound like an actual group album.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »

I'd actually take When Girls Get Together over a few Sunflower songs to be honest. Think it sound nice right near the end.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

Summer In Paradise has 8 average to good songs:

- Hot Fun In The Summertime
- Island Fever
- Still Surfin'
- Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
- Strange Things Happen
- Lahaina Aloha
- Summer In Paradise
- Forever

The problems are the production which is bad, the album contains the worst BB song of all-time ("Summer Of Love"), and Brian Wilson didn't want to record with The Beach Boys. All three of those problems could've and should've been addressed.

And, "When Girls Get Together" is a good song, too. It's one of most sophisticated songs that Brian and Mike ever wrote.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »

When we do out the SIP lover (as we seem to be inching closer), what will we do them?

Take them away and care for them? Or something else?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »

I wonder how many people here don't even have the album or have never heard it?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

Just listened to some SIP cuts on YouTube...it remains a hideous affair, probably the worst album ever released by a major rock band.

While neither LP ranks among the band's best efforts, SURFIN' SAFARI and 15 BIG ONES both play like the music of the spheres next to the radioactive waste that is SIP.

I can see Bruce going with the flow but it remains shocking that Carl and Al allowed SIP to be unleashed as a Beach Boys' album.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:53 PM »

For those of us who actually own SIP, does anybody have it in a format other than cassette?

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »

For those of us who actually own SIP, does anybody have it in a format other than cassette?

Yeah, I have it on CD. In fact, I broke it out today on my way to work. "Strange Things Happen" and "Lahaina Aloha" are pretty good cuts. I'd say there are about 5... maybe 6 decent songs on it.  There isn't a Beach Boys album that's unlistenable to me.

The Nascar CD is barely...and I mean barely...listenable.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

I'll readily admit that I like Still Surfin', Lahaina Aloha and Summer in Paradise. I find the rest to be boring or downright embarrassing.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »

The cover art is superb. The sound quality is above average. If you own the lp, it would make a nice rolling tray. It has some very famous people on it like Carl Wilson. It was the best Beach Boys album released between 1990 - 1992 (GH collections not included). One of the main songwriters was Mike Love who met some of the Beatles once in India. I could go on and on saying nice things about it actually. Still one of the worst albums by a major rock band ever made. It adds extra space to your cd collection if you can get a hold of a copy.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:13 PM »

The cover art is superb. The sound quality is above average. If you own the lp, it would make a nice rolling tray. It has some very famous people on it like Carl Wilson. It was the best Beach Boys album released between 1990 - 1992 (GH collections not included). One of the main songwriters was Mike Love who met some of the Beatles once in India. I could go on and on saying nice things about it actually. Still one of the worst albums by a major rock band ever made. It adds extra space to your cd collection if you can get a hold of a copy.

Yes, but is the CD of coaster quality? I need to know these things before purchasing.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:23 PM »

Yes, but is the CD of coaster quality? I need to know these things before purchasing.

Yes it is! In fact, most cans or bottles will sit nicely upon the cd providing that you have the cd on a flat surface (like a coffee table or similar).
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

Yes it is! In fact, most cans or bottles will sit nicely upon the cd providing that you have the cd on a flat surface (like a coffee table or similar).

Well, that's a relief. Cuz if I'm gonna pay THIS http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Paradise-The-Beach-Boys/dp/B000001YJH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408507286&sr=8-1&keywords=summer+in+paradise  for the thing, I want to get some use out of it!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx