gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:29:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For a band with so much in the vaults, why so much filler?  (Read 8612 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »

I've always loved "Bull Sessions with Big Daddy," and may be nearly alone in thinking it's the perfect ending to Today. Something about the way In the Back of My Mind fades out, the lights come up, and then the band is just sitting around having dinner feels so authentic and interesting to me. And I think it was very much intentional. The way I see it, the idea of the rock/pop album as art was still very nascent, and the Beach Boys' previous albums were not conceptualized as art, but as "product." They were meant to be fun, and cool. I don't really think it's fair to call the joke tracks "filler" when Brian was so productive at this point that he was leaving songs unreleased, and writing and producing tons of records for other bands, many of which were formed just to release a song or two that he had lying around. If Brian had wanted one more song for any of those albums, he could have gone into the studio and recorded one! But he included the joking around tracks because Beach Boys fans were teenagers, and those tracks helped build their image, create loyalty, make their fans feel like the band were just kids like them having a good time, joking around, playing music in their garage. It was about their image. So then in 1965, Brian is suddenly making this really arty, serious album, filled with self doubt, anxiety, questioning. But rather than give the album the kind of beautiful, poignant ending that he would practically invent with Caroline, No, he just made the "talking" track more serious too. Instead of silly voices, stupid jokes, and fake fights, he recorded three minutes of the band sitting around in the studio eating some burgers. Now that his music was more authentic, he made the "what it's like to be in a recording studio with the Beach Boy" track more authentic too.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

I have always liked most of Brian's "Filler" music. So, for the most part I'm happy with albums just the way they are.

Aside from the comedy talk tracks, I like pretty much all of the band's 'filler'. Shut Down Vol 2 for instance is always accused of being full of filler, and yet I could quite happily listen to This Car of Mine, Pom Pom Play Girl, the title track, etc. repeatedly, any time, any day, anywhere. In fact, just talking about them is making me want to listen to them right now. If that's filler, I say I only wish there were more of it Smiley

I know what you mean. I feel the same way about songs like Drive-In.

I would never have even thought that Drive-In was filler to begin with!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »

When you want to write, arrange and finish a track in 2 hours you end up with 'I'm Bugged at my Old Man'. The comedy tracks were an artistic choice.

Yes this is true. Look at the albums between Shut Down & Wild Honey. Every one has either an overtly comedic skit/song or a humorous song. Pet Sounds is the only exception but you could even argue that the dogs barking is a humour piece of sorts.

Shut Down Vol 2 - Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
All Summer Long - Our Favorite Recording Sessions
Christmas Album - Santa's Beard
Today! - Bull Session with Big Daddy
Summer days & SN - I'm Bugged At My Old Man
Party! - Medley: "I Get Around" / "Little Deuce Coupe + general humourous banter throughout
Pet Sounds - Banana & Louie/train whistle?
Smile - Brian's plans for a humour album, talking between songs, "You're Under Arrest", Holidays, Vegetables, I Wanna Be Around following Fire? etc.
Smiley Smile - She's Goin' Bald, Vegetables
Wild Honey - Mama Says

That's a rather baffling analysis: what on earth have Santa's Beard, Vegetables and Bull Sessions with Big Daddy got in common???
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »

When you want to write, arrange and finish a track in 2 hours you end up with 'I'm Bugged at my Old Man'. The comedy tracks were an artistic choice.

Yes this is true. Look at the albums between Shut Down & Wild Honey. Every one has either an overtly comedic skit/song or a humorous song. Pet Sounds is the only exception but you could even argue that the dogs barking is a humour piece of sorts.

Party! - Medley: "I Get Around" / "Little Deuce Coupe + general humourous banter throughout
Smile - Brian's plans for a humour album, talking between songs, "You're Under Arrest", Holidays, Vegetables, I Wanna Be Around following Fire? etc.
Wild Honey - Mama Says

That's a rather baffling analysis: what on earth have Santa's Beard, Vegetables and Bull Sessions with Big Daddy got in common???
Maybe, that they are comedic?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Yeah - lighten up, Disney Boy!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Why does not understanding a connection mean I need to lighten up? I still don't see the connection. Is Santa's Beard a comedy track? And what - aside from 'Dick Rising' - is funny about Bull Sessions...? I just think it's a very threadbare link, to put it mildly.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Why does not understanding a connection mean I need to lighten up? I still don't see the connection. Is Santa's Beard a comedy track? And what - aside from 'Dick Rising' - is funny about Bull Sessions...? I just think it's a very threadbare link, to put it mildly.
So, you don't think Santa's Beard is funny, light fare? And if Bull Sessions isn't funny to you, then just think of it as just a fun behind the scene's look at the band. I think the point is: is that Brian used these types of tracks, whether spoken word or songs to lighten the load and have fun or be funny. I hope that makes it a bit clearer for you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

So, you don't think Santa's Beard is funny, light fare? And if Bull Sessions isn't funny to you, then just think of it as just a fun behind the scene's look at the band. I think the point is: is that Brian used these types of tracks, whether spoken word or songs to lighten the load and have fun or be funny. I hope that makes it a bit clearer for you.

Guess so. I'd sure never have thought to make that link myself. No, I've always just thought of Santa's Beard as a catchy xmas pop song, in much the same way I think of The Man With All The Toys. I'm not meaning to be pedantic, just being truthful.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:20:32 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Guess so. I'd sure never have thought to make that link myself. No, I've always just thought of Santa's Beard as a catchy xmas pop song, in much the same way I think of The Man With All The Toys. I'm not meaning to be pedantic, just being truthful.
I hear you. I never gave it much thought before today and this thread, either. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Ok, sorry. 'Lighten up' was meant as a joke given we were discussing humour - no offence intended.

My point was that on nearly all the albums listed at least one track is purposefully humorous.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 01:12:51 PM »

"Guess I'm Dumb" was Brian's thank you to Glen Campbell for his six months of service. It does make a good closing track for TODAY. I don't hear "Drive In" as filler.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Ok, sorry. 'Lighten up' was meant as a joke given we were discussing humour - no offence intended.

My point was that on nearly all the albums listed at least one track is purposefully humorous.

Is the longer, original version of All Summer Long's   - Our Favorite Recording Sessions available on boot somewhere?   
Probably something else I should know, but I tend to forget a lot of these....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »

Maybe there was an attempt to compete or emulate the comedy on Jan and Dean's albums. I love Submarine Races and the speaking bits on the Batman album

(I see this was alluded to above)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:57:31 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »

Wild Honey - Mama Says

Is the longer, original version of All Summer Long's   - Our Favorite Recording Sessions available on boot somewhere?   
Probably something else I should know, but I tend to forget a lot of these....

AFAIK, just the portions that were edited from the 3:06 track.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »

I have always liked most of Brian's "Filler" music. So, for the most part I'm happy with albums just the way they are.

Aside from the comedy talk tracks, I like pretty much all of the band's 'filler'. Shut Down Vol 2 for instance is always accused of being full of filler, and yet I could quite happily listen to This Car of Mine, Pom Pom Play Girl, the title track, etc. repeatedly, any time, any day, anywhere. In fact, just talking about them is making me want to listen to them right now. If that's filler, I say I only wish there were more of it Smiley
so.......because shut down vol2 has two tracks that could be considered filler thats why the album didnt initially chart well?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx