gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:05:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Bruce and Dave really on the NASCAR album?  (Read 3168 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »

Hey, so recently while exercising I decided to torture myself by playing Mike Love, Bruce "Beach Lover, NASCAR Lover" Johnston & David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR. And while listening to it, I really wondered to myself whether Bruce and Dave are truly even on it. Obviously Mike's on it front and center doing nearly all lead vocals. However, despite Dean Torrence and Adrian Baker getting a lead apiece, Bruce and Dave had none, unless you count Bruce's little spoken appearance at the beginning of the CD.

Now anyways, I know that "I Get Around" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" are on both the Salute NASCAR album and Mike Love's Catch a Wave  album. Are they the same recordings? I have both CDs, but I'm unsure if I really wanna torture myself and listen to all those versions in row. And then on top of this, what about the recordings on Mike & Bruce's Summertime Cruisin' album? Are these the same recordings, combining a bunch of both NASCAR and Catch a Wave with some other stuff?

I know this has to be my dorkiest thread yet, but I wonder about minutiae, and as a semi collector, these things interest me. Anyways, this stuff keeping anyone else awake at night?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:36:00 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure they are all the same recordings. But I think that the songs that are on both NASCAR and catch a wave had some extra work done to them (just going by memory).

As for Bruce and David, I really have never been able to hear them on there.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:59:02 AM »

Someone in the know - I forget who - said David is all over this. I believe Bruce is only on one track, however, and possibly on keyboards rather than vocals. I forget. I'm loathe to suggest you use the search tool for fear of coming across as a prick, but this is on the board... somewhere.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:52:52 AM »

Although suggested, it wasn't added to the Definite Vocals Credits thread
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.msg88027.html#msg88027

But some topics (slightly) cover this question:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7595.0.html
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,103.0.html
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,480.0.html

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:14:33 AM »

My memory is that Bruce played keyboards on Don`t Worry Baby.

And that David`s guitar playing is all over it according to Jon Stebbins.

Dave plays all the lead guitar on that Nascar CD, love it or hate it...its him.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:16:50 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:47 AM »

Cheers
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »

Interesting questions... I don't hear Bruce, either, except for that intro.  I read somewhere that he tried singing lead on Don't Worry Baby but it didn't work.  This also brings to mind Bruce's 1998 project ACAPULCO GIRLS, which is credited to Sol Del Mexico and "The Beach Boys."  But I don't hear any of the Beach Boys on that track... Paul Bergerot is in there somewhere, I think...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »

Ocean lover ... NASCAR lover ...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »

Honestly I've never listened to it...but yes Dave did confirm to me that he recorded the main guitar tracks for the Nascar release, lead and rhythm. No background vocals on there from him as far as I know. I'm sure Carrie can give more detail.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »

Confession time...although not a 'real' BB album, i personally consider this the very worst BB related album ever.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

Honestly I've never listened to it...but yes Dave did confirm to me that he recorded the main guitar tracks for the Nascar release, lead and rhythm. No background vocals on there from him as far as I know. I'm sure Carrie can give more detail.

Seems doubtful. I listened to both "I Get Around" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" and they seem to be the same recordings on both Catch a Wave and Salute NASCAR. Maybe some recordings was actually done, but it wasn't incorporated? Sound familiar?*

*Dave and the whole "was he on the 2012 version of 'Do It Again' or not?" saga.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:56:23 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

Confession time...although not a 'real' BB album, i personally consider this the very worst BB related album ever.
Even worse than Mike & Dean's "rock and roll city"?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:06:34 AM »

Never heard the NASCAR album. Would be curious to hear it (I expect SIP quality or less)
I also imagine NASCAR to be as redneck as it gets!
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 02:30:54 AM »

It can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0dFbM2rZc

Personally I don`t think it`s that bad at all. Obviously I`m not saying it compares with The Beach Boys recordings and the drum machines and keyboards are dated and cheesy but this is a respectable covers album. Betsy is an interesting version, Honda has some life to it and Little GTO is enjoyable enough.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

It can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0dFbM2rZc

Personally I don`t think it`s that bad at all. Obviously I`m not saying it compares with The Beach Boys recordings and the drum machines and keyboards are dated and cheesy but this is a respectable covers album. Betsy is an interesting version, Honda has some life to it and Little GTO is enjoyable enough.

Yeah those three tracks are definitely the highlights. The arrangement on Little Honda is the one they still use today at live shows. Betsy sounds pretty cool too with Mike on lead in his modern voice.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

Even worse than Mike & Dean's "rock and roll city"?

Yeesh...that's a close one. Both sound like those K-Tel crapola specials you'd find for 99 cents in the bargain bin where it has something like THE BEATLES in giant huge-ass  letters, and in extremely tiny print you'll see something like 'Homeless Jeremy sings the songs of...' right on top. Expecting to hear the sweet sweet sounds of Paul McCartney, you instead hear a wino with a voice that sounds like the audio equivalent of rubbing your genitals with a cheese grater. Yeah. That's what the NASCAR thing sounds like to me.

Maybe a rusty cheese grater.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx