gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:40:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston (lead vocals)  (Read 7424 times)
thechaplin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »

I have been listening to Sunflower/Surfs Up (double album) here a lot lately, and realized that Bruce Johnson had three lead vocals on Sunflower (At My Window, Tears in the Morning, Deirdre). And of course had lead on Disney Girls on Surfs Up. All excellent songs. But it got me wondering. Bruce's lead vocal selections are few and far between on the other albums we appeared on, even the ones in the 80s and 90s. I know that he provided lots of harmony, but on most concert films from the 70s/80s.... you never see Bruce take a lead vocal. When I saw the BBs a few months ago, he did Disney Girls, Do You Wanna Dance, and maybe another. But was just wondering. Why was he never featured more as a lead vocalist? Even when he was a member of the Rip Chords, I don't recall any tracks where he was singing lead (they were all usually Ernie, Phil, or Terry Melcher). Just something I was wondering.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »

I have been listening to Sunflower/Surfs Up (double album) here a lot lately, and realized that Bruce Johnson had three lead vocals on Sunflower (At My Window, Tears in the Morning, Deirdre). And of course had lead on Disney Girls on Surfs Up. All excellent songs. But it got me wondering. Bruce's lead vocal selections are few and far between on the other albums we appeared on, even the ones in the 80s and 90s. I know that he provided lots of harmony, but on most concert films from the 70s/80s.... you never see Bruce take a lead vocal. When I saw the BBs a few months ago, he did Disney Girls, Do You Wanna Dance, and maybe another. But was just wondering. Why was he never featured more as a lead vocalist? Even when he was a member of the Rip Chords, I don't recall any tracks where he was singing lead (they were all usually Ernie, Phil, or Terry Melcher). Just something I was wondering.
Good question. Maybe he's just not comfortable being the lead/main guy in the spotlight. I've always pictured Bruce more as the behind-the-scenes guy. He was a successful sessions musician, and went on to write and produce some neat sh*t before joining the BBs, and after. I guess he was content with playing a mainly supportive role on stage. After all.. he's "the group's biggest fan", or how he likes to put it himself.

P.S. Welcome to the board, chaps!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:55:12 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
thechaplin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »

Good question. Maybe he's just not comfortable being the lead/main guy in the spotlight. I've always pictured Bruce more as the behind-the-scenes guy. He was a successful sessions musician, and went on to write and produce some neat sh*t before joining the BBs, and after. I guess he was content with playing a mainly supportive role on stage. After all.. he's "the group's biggest fan", or how he likes to put it himself.

Sounds like a reasonable explaination to me.

And thanks! Good to be here among fans!

P.S. Welcome to the board, chaps!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »

Even when he was a member of the Rip Chords, I don't recall any tracks where he was singing lead (they were all usually Ernie, Phil, or Terry Melcher). Just something I was wondering.

His lead on "Don't Run Away" (OK, yes, it's a Bruce & Terry track) is some kinda serious good. "I Love You, Model "T""... eh, he did OK considering the material.

Don't Run Away

BTW, he also wrote the music, and got Mike to do the lyric AND sing bass.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:27:39 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »

Bruce is a great  singer and arguably has a much more distinctive voice than the other BBs. Maybe a Bruce lead would seem too solo and less band-like, less chance for the song to shine and too much focus on the singer? Maybe he'd' e had more leads if he had a Hawthorne accent!

“We live in divisive times.”
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »

Bruce has always reminded me of a record producer turned band member. He spent  a lot of time down here in Nashville over the years. Although he  is quite a self promoter, he is very talented. The studio folks down here all respect him. I am told he also is a very good piano/keyboard player. I have seen some other posts questioning his playing ability. I think those comments are un founded.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

Even when he was a member of the Rip Chords, I don't recall any tracks where he was singing lead (they were all usually Ernie, Phil, or Terry Melcher). Just something I was wondering.

His lead on "Don't Run Away" (OK, yes, it's a Bruce & Terry track) is some kinda serious good. "I Love You, Model "T""... eh, he did OK considering the material.

Don't Run Away

I wonder what the odds are that M&B would ever be willing to play "Don't Run Away" at one of their shows. Probably will never happen, but would be incredibly cool if it did. I got Bruce to sing a couple lines of "Dont' Run Away" in the hallway of the Grammy Museum. IMO Bruce's finest hour, but as usual in BB-land, this song is way under-appreciated and off the radar of pretty much everyone except us nerds.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:50:56 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »

Don't Run Away

How much Terry is on there, Andrew?
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »

I always wondered why Al didn't sing "At My Window" instead of Bruce, considering Al cowrote it and had just one small lead vocal section on "Add Some Music" on Sunflower. Maybe Brian, Al and/or Bruce thought it suited Bruce better, but it surprised me there was so much Bruce and so little Al vocally on Sunflower.

I think "Deirdre" is Bruce's best Beach Boys vocal.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »

Does he adjust his mic in the studio too?
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Bruce has always reminded me of a record producer turned band member. He spent  a lot of time down here in Nashville over the years. Although he  is quite a self promoter, he is very talented. The studio folks down here all respect him. I am told he also is a very good piano/keyboard player. I have seen some other posts questioning his playing ability. I think those comments are un founded.

His organ solo on "Wild Honey" is enough for me to never question his playing ability; I love it. He's pretty skilled at bass, too, IMHO.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »

Those comments are indeed founded. They are founded on Bruce's live appearances for decades, where his keyboard is either very low in the mix or his contributions unsubstantial. That doesn't mean he's not a good musician - but it does 'found' those comments. Ergo, comments = founded. Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »

Don't Run Away

He's clearly audible during the middle-eight.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »

The question has never been lack of ability but rather why he plays so little on stage.

Moreover with a songbook containing "Disney Girls", "I Write the Songs", "Deirdre" etc, GOING PUBLIC could have been something special.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »

Don't Run Away

He's clearly audible during the middle-eight.

Thanks!

I've always thought this to be such a 'mature' song compared to the other stuff they were doing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »

Recorded 2/15/66.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Had done.  Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »

Does he adjust his mic in the studio too?

Yep. And he also smiles and waves and claps his hands as he walks across the control booth. He also has a new scissor-kick jump that he's added to his repertoire.

Best Bruce Johnston bass vocal: Hey Little Cobra

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
thechaplin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

Indeed. Check this out. This is Bruce. Just Bruce and the piano, performing Disney Girls, and it is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »

I love Bruce Johnston's voice.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »

My guess is that it's because a. Bruce wasn't an original member, and an original member of The Beach Boys singing would give it a more authentic feel, and b. because his voice isn't as strong as the rest of The Beach Boys. And that's not just based on today. Listen to the 1966 Japan boot, and his voice is much weaker than the rest of the band.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »

Indeed. Check this out. This is Bruce. Just Bruce and the piano, performing Disney Girls, and it is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4

Isn't this the clip Bruce tried to get removed from YouTube a few years ago?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:29 PM »

Who was that dude that kinda looked like Mike, sleeping in the background?

Honestly, that clip was too slow and melodramatic...I love the song, but that was overblown.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »

Not only the three lead vocals on Sunflower, but had some prominent vocal lines in Add Some Music To Your Day as well.  Bruce and Dennis had the most lead vocals on that album - who could have predicted THAT?!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:21 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx