gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:41:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston (lead vocals)  (Read 7385 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »

Agreed...the clips I've heard of Bruce doing Wendy the past few years have been terrible. I'd rather drink the anal leakage of a dying water buffalo from a sippy cup than hear him do that again.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:16 PM by zatch » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »

I was exaggerating a bit...I meant a reasonably healthy water buffalo LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »

Who was that dude that kinda looked like Mike, sleeping in the background?

Honestly, that clip was too slow and melodramatic...I love the song, but that was overblown.

Whispering Bob Harris - clip is from The Old Grey Whistle Test.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »

Ahh...he must've dyed his hair, or it was the lighting, because his hair looked grayer when he introduced Roxy Music right before they played Ladytron, back in 1972.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »

Honestly, that clip was too slow and melodramatic...I love the song, but that was overblown.
At the time when I wasn't really a BBs fan (yet), didn't know who is who, I actually liked that video. That's the 1st time I heard "Disney Girls". As for the guy in the background, one of the comments said it was a host of that show Bob Harris. If I recall, he did the chart of the BBs story on BBC radio.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »

At the time when I wasn't really a BBs fan (yet), didn't know who is who, I actually liked that video. That's the 1st time I heard "Disney Girls". As for the guy in the background, one of the comments said it was a host of that show Bob Harris. If I recall, he did the chart of the BBs story on BBC radio.
Spot on. He's still a radio presenter, one of the few authentic music experts left on BBC Radio 2. One of those DJs who presents great music, in an intelligent way and is worth listening to. He'd actually close his eyes and listen to the music…

“We live in divisive times.”
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 05:25:16 AM »

I 100% agree.  I think Bruce has a great voice and is a very talented dude so I'm not trying to slight him at all, I just think that all of the drawn out phrases and dramatic pauses take the song into an overly cheeseball territory.  Bruce's performance in the original recorded version is damn near perfect.  The arrangement of the song in this video, even though it's evident that Bruce does have a great voice in it, does nothing for me.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 05:36:54 AM »

ppk700 - quoted

His organ solo on "Wild Honey" is enough for me to never question his playing ability; I love it.
[/quote]

+1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:40:03 AM by filledeplage » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »

But it got me wondering. Bruce's lead vocal selections are few and far between on the other albums we appeared on, even the ones in the 80s and 90s

I think there's a simple reason why Bruce never did that many lead vocals. For any musician (or any other kind of artist, for that matter) to do anything there's gotta be a personal creative urge and/or public demand. Seems that there never has been much of either for Bruce Johnston leads.

Whatever anyone thinks of Bruce, he does have a few good qualities that seem to be very rare among famous musicians: he's not a bragger, he knows his place, doesn't feel the need to prove himself and he doesn't have to be the centre of attention. People don't go see The Beach Boys for Bruce Johnston or his songs, never have and never will. And it seems that Bruce fully realizes and has always been perfectly comfortable with that.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx