gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:38:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jeff Beck interview. Discuss.  (Read 48396 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:36 AM »

I think teaming up BW with other "big names" has never been a good idea. McCartney, Clapton, Elton John, Dylan... all the stuff he did with those guys sounds really awkward. Maybe he's just not comfortable around the "big rock star" types, notwithstanding his admiration for some of their music.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2014, 04:01:41 AM »

In earlier interviews on the subject, Beck was quoted as saying "He doesn’t speak. He’s clearly in need of attention. But that’s just my opinion.”

A picture of Brian not speaking with Beck at a session.

A picture of Brian disengaged and appearing asleep during a session.
Nice!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »

In earlier interviews on the subject, Beck was quoted as saying "He doesn’t speak. He’s clearly in need of attention. But that’s just my opinion.”

I'm not being an arse for the sake of it but seriously, have you ever seen a more staged 'candid' photo ? No movement whatsoever.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2014, 06:04:41 AM »

Excerpt from an upcoming Jeff Beck interview:

"He didn't even talk to me when we took promotional photos for his Facebook page. It was very weird. His people told me he would be pointing at me and I could shrug or whatever. We took that photo and Brian left the studio immediately after that. He needs help, seriously. I think there was another picture where he's like Phew, what a musician! and I'm standing next to him, miming chords. Brian had one of his muscled handlers there, pretending to write something down, so I wouldn't engage in conversation. There's something wrong with him."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2014, 06:57:01 AM »

Grin

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:30 AM »

Brian: "And I'd appreciate it if you stopped going to my deli"
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »

I blame whoever it was that had the idea of mashing these two together in the first place.  Imo this sounded like a terrible idea from the get-go.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »

Perhaps Brian's behavior is the reason Mike didn't want to continue to tour with him.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »

Jeff sounds to me like a jilted lover.  He was excited about working with a musical idol of his and assumed or hoped they would hang out together, collaborate (which requires communication) in the studio and perhaps on songwriting, he would get to "know" Brian.  And of course none of that happened, and Jeff is a little bitter.

BTW what is the deli he mentions in Benedict Canyon?  I may want to go hang out there for a day on my next visit to L.A.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »

Perhaps Brian's behavior is the reason Mike didn't want to continue to tour with him.

And wants to spend more time alone with him in a room?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »

Brian: "And I'd appreciate it if you stopped going to my deli"

😄

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

Brian: "Jeez, you're 70, man, and you dye your hair. You need help."
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »

Lee --

I'm glad you found Jeff Beck.
(I'm actually having a really nice day. Writers are able to comment objectively without it being a reflection on themselves. Bad reviews aren't always written by unhappy people. AGD said: "Discuss" -- so, I did.)

I think that music was horrible and inappropriate for inclusion in any part -- especially the centerpiece -- of a Brian Wilson show featuring Alan Jardine, David Marks, and Blondie Chaplin. I couldn't help counting what they WEREN'T performing to allow space for all those 3:00 a.m. empty highway speedin' instrumental Jeff Beck "hits."

My point is that Jeff Beck benefited from using Brian. Got solid heavy press because of Brian (in comparison to his Ronnie Scott's and Iridium projects) and he went on to shi t on him personally and professionally twice. Not booking another leg or a second tour with Brian says plenty.

It's one thing to have a beef with "Brian" (his issues, or his management, or what you got paid, or how it was billed -- or ANY of those things) but don't do press before and during selling what he's since "revealed" is bull sh it -- which is exactly he did. When it came time to sell tickets, whaddya know -- "BRIAN'S BACK!" Their photo-ops came after his realization that Brian wasn't "all there" or "in need of help" -- or perhaps didn't actually compose the music he contributed to in the studio.

There are more respectful and professional ways to answer the question of "How was it working with Brian Wilson?" than he chose to do. It's a d ick move.
And as new Jeff Beck fan, you'll soon find out that he has a long reputation for doing stuff like this that alienates musicians from wanting to work with him and friends who want to keep him on their speed dial.

I'm not sure why people are saying that Jeff Beck exploited Brian for publicity purposes by doing that tour.  If anything, Brian was exploiting Jeff Beck for publicity purposes. Brian's management were the ones who arranged the tour, not Jeff Beck. Jeff also has toured the same size halls on his own, within the past few years. It's absolutely not true that Jeff plays smaller halls than Brian and only wanted to tour with him to get into bigger venues. He plays medium sized venues of the type that Brian usually plays.  He does not exclusively play places like Ronnie Scott's and the Iridium (and you probably know that already).

I don't get what the big deal is about what Jeff said. Journalists are asking him questions about his work with Brian, he's not the one bringing it up out of nowhere. He's being honest and as most admit, what Jeff is saying is no surprise about Brian's demeanor.  As far as what Jeff said about Brian's management throwing them out on tour before Brian finished his album, with or without Jeff, he has a good point.  Brian's management made a mistake. If they hadn't hastily done the Beck tour just last fall, they would find it easier to arrange a tour now when Brian actually may have an album to promote. As it is, they risk drawing smaller audiences if they attempt to repeat the markets they played with Beck just last year.

Why not ask Jean Sievers some questions about how it is that she decided to pair Brian with Beck, and why they took Brian on tour when he was in the middle of making an album, instead of waiting until the album was finished and he could use the promotion?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »

Jeff drank the last glass of wheatgrass juice, and Brian never forgave him. A cut and dry synopsis.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »

I'm not sure why people are saying that Jeff Beck exploited Brian for publicity purposes by doing that tour.  If anything, Brian was exploiting Jeff Beck for publicity purposes.
Nobody got exploited in that scenario..
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »

I'm not being an arse for the sake of it but seriously, have you ever seen a more staged 'candid' photo ? No movement whatsoever.

Grin
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »

Grin
LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »

Honestly if you're a brian wilson fan and you find nothing wrong with that jeff back said, well then that's your problem.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:37 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »

Honestly if you're a brian wilson fan and you find nothing wrong with that jeff back said, well then that's your problem.

I don't see any problem in finding nothing wrong with something. Seems that by definition, the problem is with those who, well, have a problem. I'm a fan of Brian Wilson's music. Jeff Beck basically said Brian doesn't talk much and is kind of odd. (Oh my gawd, the shock!) I still am a fan of Brian Wilson's music. Nothing changed, and no problems here.

Now if I were Brian's babysitter and was worried that people saying mean things about him might set him over the edge or something, maybe then I'd have a problem. Luckily I have no such responsibilities.

Seriously, this is all such a non-issue.

Rock Legend Gossips About Other Rock Legend.
Both remain rich with legacies intact; fans scurry to weigh in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

I don't see any problem in finding nothing wrong with something. Seems that by definition, the problem is with those who, well, have a problem. I'm a fan of Brian Wilson's music. Jeff Beck basically said Brian doesn't talk much and is kind of odd. (Oh my gawd, the shock!) I still am a fan of Brian Wilson's music. Nothing changed, and no problems here.

Now if I were Brian's babysitter and was worried that people saying mean things about him might set him over the edge or something, maybe then I'd have a problem. Luckily I have no such responsibilities.

Seriously, this is all such a non-issue.

Rock Legend Gossips About Other Rock Legend.
Both remain rich with legacies intact; fans scurry to weigh in.

I agree. People get so upset about something that doesn't really matter. Why does anyone care what this guy says? It's not like it really matters.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »

This may sound like a crazy thought but here goes...

..maybe Brian just doesn't like Jeff personally. If I ran into someone I didn't like at the deli and they gave me a "hello" I'd mutter a feeble "hello" back and get the heck out of there.

Jeff's probably right in that someone in Brian's camp came up with the idea of pairing these two guys together and just booked a tour to capitalize on the novelty of the odd pairing. What Jeff doesn't seem to understand is that Brian doesn't like him, doesn't have anything in common with him musically and would rather not pal around with him...

So to clear it up for Jeff: Brian doesn't like you.

End of story.  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »

Grin

Still from the "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" video, ergo... not staged. Not good... but not staged. Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

This may sound like a crazy thought but here goes...

..maybe Brian just doesn't like Jeff personally. If I ran into someone I didn't like at the deli and they gave me a "hello" I'd mutter a feeble "hello" back and get the heck out of there.

Jeff's probably right in that someone in Brian's camp came up with the idea of pairing these two guys together and just booked a tour to capitalize on the novelty of the odd pairing. What Jeff doesn't seem to understand is that Brian doesn't like him, doesn't have anything in common with him musically and would rather not pal around with him...

So to clear it up for Jeff: Brian doesn't like you.

End of story. 

I bet that has a lot to do with it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

Pretty good description of their session/ sessions described in this story from last year.

By all accounts, their first recording session this summer was awkward, with Beck confused by Wilson's timid demeanor and Wilson too awestruck by the guitarist to speak. Told Beck had admitted to being intimidated by him, Wilson counters that the feeling was mutual.

"I was intimidated to record with him, too," he says, his voice leaping. "But we both got over it and got busy."

Thomas says he, too, was anxious that first day in the studio, though he offers that Beck and Wilson make a more natural partnership than their respective fans may believe, and describes the songs they recorded as "fusion jazz rock with Brian singing, 'oohs' and 'aahs.' "

"It was two guys who shared a lot of mutual respect for each other, a ton. They were equally as reverent and equally as nervous. We were all nervous. You're working with one legend and another one comes in, that doesn't always go well," he recalls.

"I think that Jeff was amazed that Brian wouldn't say a lot, but when he would say something, it was right on. He'd have his eyes closed, and he'd be listening, and I could see that Jeff would look over at Brian and go, 'Is he listening or is he sleeping?' And Jeff would maybe pull a string a little sharp or something, and Brian would go, 'Hey, you got a better one in you, Jeff. That one was a little sharp.' And Jeff would go, 'Well, OK, of course he's listening. This is the way he does it.' "

http://www.southflorida.com/music/sf-brian-wilson-jeff-beck-hollywood-tour-092713-20130924,0,3220234.story
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx