gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:10:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Very First Beach Boys Release  (Read 15033 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »

After 30 years, my wife never says a word to me when buying any Beach Boys product. She has learned to accept that if a CD, book or concert is announced that I will purchase it. It's just a given!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »

I think this was also my in-road, but on cassette. I can't remember buying it though.

I do remember getting some birthday money at about 12 years old and buying my first CDs ever from WH Smith's. A strangely eclectic mix of albums based on songs I liked from the radio at the time: Tango In the Night by Fleetwood Mac, Prince - Lovesexy, Roll with It by Steve Winwood, Rattle and Hum by U2(shudder) and Made In The USA by The Beach Boys! Definitely the most played from the bunch. Looking back it was great to have no preconceptions of the timeline of songs. I just assumed they were all created at the same time. Heroes and Villains was definitely a highlight, and still my favourite song 25 years later!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:43:30 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »

Here's the path I took...

1. 20 Good Vibrations - The Greatest Hits - This was the lone Beach Boys CD in my house growing up. For years, until the age of about 14-15, if I wanted to listen to the Beach Boys I listened to this compilation. I'd mainly listen to it in the summer. There wasn't a song I disliked. [circa 1995]

2. Pet Sounds - I discovered Pet Sounds as a teenager. It quickly became my favorite album. Despite this, I still didn't feel compelled to explore further. Just not enough time in the day, I suspect. [circa 2003]

3. Little Deuce Coupe / All Summer Long - A few years later, my brother picked this up. It was nice to have more of their earlier material. I liked it, but I listened to it sparingly. I was focused on other bands at the time.

4. Friends / 20/20 - Another few years later, I picked this up out of the blue. I can't remember why. I don't think I knew anything about it. I distinctly remember listening to both albums and being impressed. Impressed enough to recommend these lesser known albums to people, but apparently not enough to ditch whoever I was listening to and obsess over the Beach Boys. I had Pet Sounds. I had the hits. I had a few early '60s albums, a few late '60s albums. How much more did I need?

5. Party! - This was given to me by a friend. She said she never felt cooler than when she was cruising, blasting this album. She said it was the only Beach Boys album she liked. I thought that was kinda cool. [2011]

These are my first five (or seven) Beach Boys albums, but it should be noted that I was aware of Brian's solo career enough that I picked up BWPS, TLOS, and the Disney album shortly upon release. I don't think I was aware of GIOMH or WIRWFC. I probably just wasn't interested in the Gershwin album at the time.

In 2012 I was aware of the reunion, but I was still something of a casual fan. Ultimately, I didn't see them on tour and I didn't pick up TWGMTR until a year later (when I was buying all of their albums). So, what was I interested in? Pacific Ocean Blue. I can't be sure what inspired me to pick up the 2-disc edition of POB, but I couldn't stop listening to it. Even though Friends and 20/20 had clued me in to the potential quality and diversity of the Beach Boys music beyond the hits, it wasn't that far removed from what I knew. With POB, here's the drummer (!!!), solo, in '77, giving me one of my favorite albums. It was time. I had to listen to it all. At this point I started reading up on the band and by mid-2013 I had bought just about every album. I also remember stumbling upon a blog of someone's Top 200 Beach Boys songs. That's where I heard some of Brian's mid-70s material for the first time, e.g., 'It's Over Now', 'Still I Dream Of It', and 'Sherry She Needs Me'. That blew my mind. As I picked up the rest of their albums, I started with Smiley Smile / Wild Honey.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:50:17 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »

Surfing USA but it was Surfer Girl that really did it for me.  Head Spin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »

Surfing USA but it was Surfer Girl that really did it for me.  Head Spin
[/qu

The production and engineering of the Surfer Girl album still blows me away - It still sounds so clear and fresh
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »

First Beach Boys purchase:

I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby US single

First Beach Boys album purchase:

U.K. Pet Sounds

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »

First LP was this Pickwick release, purchased on sale at Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. in Toronto. In the midst of the mid 70's Beach Boy revival.

First 45 was handed out for free at a JC Penney's in the summer of '68! They were also selling Beatle albums up to Pepper at only $1.99 a piece. Picked up Revolver (at the age of 9) and never looked back...

That Pickwick comp was my first BB's album, too. Pretty great selection of songs. I got Endless Summer a couple years later.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »

"Problem Child" - great song, liked, didn't know who sang, Internet-free back in 2000. Now do & still like.
Via Beatles in 2010 find out usual info about Sgt. Pepper topping the greatest albums list & Pet Sounds being next to it. It made me curious, checked it. Liked it to the point that Sgt. Pepper began to pale in compare with it. Dug the arrangements, think the BBs cooler than Beatles vocally. Check youtube, it leads to BBs' popular songs DWB, IGA, a cappella THWFOS, HMR etc. Like few. Then continue with downloading albums, smb. at Beatles.ru who isn't big BBs fan but appreciates good music by anybody said his favorites - PS & Sunflower. Pet Sounds I downloaded, then went to Sunflower as per that poster. It didn't shine songwise but really liked "At My Window" & "Add Some Music". Due to these songs, I decide that BBs is jolly good band, start checking catalog. Few albums, f.ex. LY, L.A., SIP didn't show in main download site. Went thru plenty different music sites to get them for free. At last, found.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »

Pet Sounds in September 2000 at the age of 20. It was the 1999 mono/stereo edition with Brad Elliott's liner notes. I really loved it.

Next thing I bought was Smiley Smile/Wild Honey in February next year. I was like WTF. It also made me realise the Beach Boys were so much more than the early hits and Pet Sounds.

Then I bought Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long in April, bu it was my fourth BBs purchase, the GV box set in July that really made me a fan. I still think that set is the greatest Beach Boys release ever and the best introduction to any newcomers.
doodledoo
Smiley Smile Newbie

I've been in this town so long.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »

"The Greatest Hits – Volume 1: 20 Good Vibrations" was the first BB release I remember hearing.

As a kid I remember being fascinated by the orange on the CD cover. Still looks so refreshing...
michel neurophile
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »

The first record I bought with my own money : "Summer Days And Summer Nights", in 1969 (1,37 $ canadian). Before that, I didn't know that "discontinued" records were sold in record stores !
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 01:09:04 PM »

in '67 I bought Pet Sounds on vinyl, but soon traded it to a friends' friend (don't ask)

I bought stack-o-tracks in '68 and found it fascinating

major part of the reason I got rid of my first PS was I's getting heavily into reel-to-reel tapes, getting a concord deck from allied radio for Xmas '67, so I was on the lookout for pre-recorded reel albums of which many stores sold here

I wanted a beach boys and a beatles tape but all my selections were limited to the 7-1/2 IPS speed (early on I learned 3-3/4 tapes were too inferior).  For the beatles capitol made Revolver @ 7-1/2, and Pet Sounds for the beach boys that speed too (and only those albums, a frustrating situation which did change some years on).  I played the dickens out of both those tapes on my concord, which graduated to a Tandberg 64X before too long.  And listened almost always through headphones (I must be the only person who enjoyed duophonic stereo via headphones, shame on me)

the capitol double disc BB compilation Close-Up would be next and I so regret not getting Friends during the brief time it was a new release.  However when Sunflower came out I was the only one in my gang who bought it new, so it got borrowed out a lot
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:21:18 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

First time i remember hearing them is my mom had Endless Summer record around when i was a kid in the 80s. I always thought the guys looked weird on the cover. Kind of scared me. Put it on one time and was like "jeez, this music isnt scary at all...its great!" Also my dad had 3 musician brothers and they would sing "surfer girl" in 4 part harmony just like the BB's at family gatherings. Amazing. They all had to sing  together growing up, just like the BB's.  All grew up to be musicians. One of my uncles even sang a couple number 1 hits event in the 80s. Anyways, after learning about the BB they reminded me a lot of my dads family. Although not quite as insane and everyone gets along. haha.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:27:50 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »

I first became aware of the Beach Boys circa 1992/93, about age 6 or 7, when my mom went on a house cleaning kick for several days and would keep replaying her copy of Endless Summer. She always started it on side 4, so the first BB song I ever heard was California Girls. A short time later I saw this old white-haired guy on Full House, and my mom pointed out to me it was The Beach Boys. I didn't believe her at first, this guy didn't look a thing like any of the dudes on the Endless Summer cover. I realized it was indeed them when the old white-haird Mike Love went into Be True to Your School. The BBs kind of went into the back of my mind after that.

I remember seeing the Kokomo video for the first time on VH1 in the mid 90s, recognized Mike Love right off the bat, I'd only known the Muppets version prior to that.

I also remember seeing the BW Imagination concert on TV, they showed 8 million interviews between all the songs. At the time I would have sworn it was Al Jardine and Glenn Frey in the band (cool), but it was actually Bruce Johnston and Tim Schmidt (talented, but not cool).

In 2003 I bought my first proper BBs CD, it was just Sounds of Summer. Nothing special from a hard core fan's POV but it blew my mind at the time. Prior to this the BBs songs I knew were the ones on Endless Summer, plus WIBN only because it was in so many movies. I actually did think stuff like Beach Baby and The Rain, The Park, and Other Things were by the BBs. I ended up hearing Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, Wild Honey, and several other songs for the first time ever. After reading the liner notes I also realized what the hell that "Smiley Smile" that Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies) kept re-listening to was. From there I finally listened to Pet Sounds, then Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE, then lots of googling and downloading until finally coming across my first original SMiLE bootlegs, then the 2fers-SS/WH, Sunflower/Surf's Up, Friends/20-20, CATP/Holland, In Concert, etc. etc. etc. By the end of 2005/early 2006 I was well on my way down the BBs rabbit hole. The advent of Rapidshare/Mediafire/Megaupload, coupled with anonymous blogs opened up a whole world of bootleg goodies for me, being a college kid with fast dorm internet but without a way to buy actual "hard copies" of underground material.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
nach0king
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2018, 06:10:01 AM »

20 Golden Greats on vinyl, like many (most?) in the UK in the 70s through 80s.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2018, 07:21:37 AM »

Surfin' USA (the album) was my first purchase. Surfer Girl had already found its way into our household as a gift.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx