gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:42:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Very First Beach Boys Release  (Read 15028 times)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:25:45 AM »

Pet Sounds on vinyl, around 1995, having seen it top Mojo's Top 100 albums of all time list. Took the plunge soon after and bought the GV box - it raised more questions than it answered, and so a minor obsession was born...
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:47 AM »

Pet Sounds, on UK cassette, with a revised running order. Summer 1975.

What was the running order?
Nicko1234
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »

I started with the 1983 U.K. Best of album on double vinyl.

A great collection (with an even better cover Shocked ) but with the usual idiosyncrasies of a British compilation. Surfer Girl omitted (as it so often is) but You`re So Good to Me, Country Air and Here Comes the Night (1967 version) included.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 05:49:46 AM »

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

Summer 1964 I Get Around/Don't Worry Baby, in. New York.  First album Pet Sounds (and Revolver at the same time) August 66 in London.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »

The CD release of Pet Sounds with the tracks in mono, and then stereo.  About a month or so later I followed that up with the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fee, expecting Smiley Smile to be an album full of "Good Vibrations"-sounding songs.  I think it was during my second listen to that album that I decided I was going to buy every Beach Boys album I could get my hands on.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 01:36:39 AM »

Yup, the very first full Beach Boys album was on cassette for me.  It was the late 1980s, I was about 10 years old... my Dad came home with the Surfin' Safari album, this version being minus a couple of tracks from the original LP.  I think Surfin' and Cookoo Clock were missing.  I used to listen to it on the family's walkman.  I really liked it, especially that surf instrumental with the dog howling noises.

It wasn't until I was 17 that I found a copy of All Summer Long on LP, and the obsession truly started.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »

...expecting Smiley Smile to be an album full of "Good Vibrations"-sounding songs.  I think it was during my second listen to that album that I decided I was going to buy every Beach Boys album I could get my hands on.

Somewhere in the late 90s, once I had Pet Sounds and heard of Smile (and heard some bits from a Wilson doc, not yet Endless Harmony, not sure which...), I got a French reissue of Smiley Smile expecting the immaculate glory of Surfs Up or Wonderful. Uh wow. I was ... Confused and amused!

(That cd also had bonus tracks like GV sessions, alt H&V maybe etc)

My early fandom was all surprises. If learn a new chapter, think I had it down, get a new cd and be starting over again, befuddled.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »

Heard and instantly loved the Smiley Smile version of Vegetables on YouTube (what's this cassette thing you guys speak of?) after Steven Tyler named it one of his all-time favourite songs. Then got Pet Sounds which is what ultimately made me a big fan, after 2 or 3 listens I think.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »

That would be GOOD VIBRATIONS: BEST OF THE BEACH BOYS in the summer of 1975.
Followed by SPIRIT OF AMERICA and then 15 BIG ONES, which was the first "new" release for me..  BEACH BOYS IN CONCERT, HOLLAND, BEACH BOYS LIVE IN LONDON and SUNFLOWER followed in short order.  SUNFLOWER blew me away.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »

Best of The Beach Boys on LP, followed by Keepin' The Summer Alive on cassette. 

After that, I think, it was Pet Sounds on LP. 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »

Best Of The Beach Boys vol. 2, on Capitol 8-track. Still have it.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 01:57:20 AM »

My first BB albums on vinyl: Dutch compilations "Definite Album" and "Beach Boys" (Sterrenserie - club pressing, earlier hits)

Grabbed them from my fathers collection. 'Definite Album' had the European hits between 1966 and 1970, where the 'Beach Boys' covered the earlier (US) hits from 1962-65.

First 45 was a Dutch pressing of IGA/DWB. Found it at a local fleamarket; cheap but a bit warped. But even if I had to skip the 1st 10 seconds, I was blown away by the B-side (first time I heard it).

After hearing these I tried to find more by the group. went to the library, only to find the BB 1985 album and BW's first solo album. Also borrowad a Milestones 2LP set Sunflower/Surf's Up. But all these didn't hit me at first. Buying Pet Sounds on CD changed all that. And - a bit similar to smilethebeachboysloveyou's story - I bought the SmileySmile/Wild honey 2-fer directly after that. Strangely enough I loved these albums as well! From then on I was definitely hooked.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »

The CD release of Pet Sounds with the tracks in mono, and then stereo.  About a month or so later I followed that up with the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fee, expecting Smiley Smile to be an album full of "Good Vibrations"-sounding songs.  I think it was during my second listen to that album that I decided I was going to buy every Beach Boys album I could get my hands on.

Buying Pet Sounds on CD changed all that. And - a bit similar to smilethebeachboysloveyou's story - I bought the SmileySmile/Wild honey 2-fer directly after that. Strangely enough I loved these albums as well! From then on I was definitely hooked.

What I find kinda interesting about these 2 comments is when I first bought Pet Sounds ('83?), it came packaged as a twofer vinyl with Smiley Smile; diving straight into SS right off the back of the Big Green Behemoth, is not such a bad thing then  Wink

Didn't get my hands on Wild Honey for some time after that purchase, tho

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 05:04:27 AM »

Cool thread!

I was 9 in 1987 and first heard Surfin' USA. Straight away I found this in my parents collection:

This was followed by at Christmas with then . Nearly 30 years on of collecting, I'm now   Grin

I started buying the albums, mainly on cassette but I remember finding a 2LP French Best of for £5 in my local Our Price which started my BB vinyl collection. It took me a few years to 'get' Smiley Smile and Holland and I hated the BB85 album but even through my 90s fixations on Nirvana, Suede, the Manics and hundreds of indie bands between, I would always pull out Surfin' USA, Pet Sounds or Today.
As a sidenote, I found Made In The USA on gatefold last week in the £2 bin. The guy let me have it for free as I'd bought LA Woman!!
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »

My first Beach Boys cd was a 2cd set The Look Behind Collection. I really loved a lot of songs. The songs on cd2 were actually pretty terrible sound quality, like lp rips or something. I really loved Heroes and Villains and Fun Fun Fun.
My first real Beach Boys album was Summer in Paradise. I was at a second hand store and they had Surf's Up and Summer in Paradise. Guess which one I picked? You're right. But I really loved SIP except for a few songs (Hot Fun..., Surfin', Under the Boardwalk, Remember Walking in the Sand are pretty terrible).
After that came the Friends-20/20 Twofer and I was so hooked

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »

Reading this, I just realized it was fifty (50) years ago that I bought my first BeachBoys record.  Folks, that is half a CENTURY.  And I still have the record with my eleven year old initials scrawled in red pencil on the label.  Bought several other singles after that but didn't really get into buying BeachBoys LP's until the 70's, long after I  had acquired many other LP's by groups popular in the later 60's.

Once I "rediscovered" the BB's around the time of Surfs Up/Holland etc, I was like a kid in a candy store catching up on all of the lp cuts I had missed.  Discovering Today, Pet Sounds, and 20/20 over a short period of time infected me for life.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

I think the first Beach Boys record that I bought was Heroes and Villains. My older bro was a big fan, so I didn't have to buy anything. After he was drafted in the U.S. Army in 1967, I was on my own to keep up with new 45's and later albums. I think 20/20 was my first album purchase on 8-Track no less.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 04:46:45 AM »

Buying Pet Sounds on CD changed all that. And - a bit similar to smilethebeachboysloveyou's story - I bought the SmileySmile/Wild honey 2-fer directly after that. Strangely enough I loved these albums as well! From then on I was definitely hooked.

What I find kinda interesting about these 2 comments is when I first bought Pet Sounds ('83?), it came packaged as a twofer vinyl with Smiley Smile; diving straight into SS right off the back of the Big Green Behemoth, is not such a bad thing then  Wink

Didn't get my hands on Wild Honey for some time after that purchase, tho

I was about to say that it's strange how many other people here got hooked because of Smiley Smile, but then I remembered the name of the message board.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »

Endless Summer on 8 track. I slowly started buying the albums on cassette afterwards.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

First LP was this Pickwick release, purchased on sale at Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. in Toronto. In the midst of the mid 70's Beach Boy revival.

First 45 was handed out for free at a JC Penney's in the summer of '68! They were also selling Beatle albums up to Pepper at only $1.99 a piece. Picked up Revolver (at the age of 9) and never looked back...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »

I was lucky. For me it all began with hearing the 1990 Pet Sounds CD reissue.
You know, the one with Dr. Landy's name on the back. As if he earned it.

Anyway, it made me a fan and after hearing that, I quickly bought Endless Summer. This was back when it was still on CD.

I got into the Beach Boys during a time when I had been pretty much done buying cassettes for a few years at that point, but I think that's generally true about most people in 1999. Cassettes were on the way out. I DID buy Made in USA some months later in 1999 on cassette, since I never saw it on CD and it contained a few songs, particularly 'Heroes and Villains', which at that time I still hadn't heard yet.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:22:35 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »

In the summer of 1974, my older sister bought the Endless Summer album. After I finished blaring Sparks, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, The New York Dolls, Slade, Queen, and The Doors, the sounds of summer would filter their way from my sister's record player through an adjacent wall we shared. I admit that at the very beginning I pulled an American Graffiti with "I hate that surfin' sh*t..." It was only a matter of weeks before Endless Summer made its way onto my turntable.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

Sunflower / Surf's Up right after I got my first car. The first time I listened to it, I, being horribly inexperienced, got horribly lost and played through it three or four times.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »

Everyone should have a cool uncle. God knows I have one. Cool

Summer of 1984 said uncle got wind (probably from my Dad) that I was seriously liking the Beach Boys' songs that showed up regularly on a nationally syndicated (U.S.) radio show of the time -hosted by the late Dick Clark- called Solid Gold Saturday Night. Truth is, because of said program, I was violating the rule about not liking your parents' music with utter abandon, but something I couldn't truly define then (or now) really hit me with The Beach Boys. Anyway, said uncle did a compilation on cassette for me that drew heavily from "Endless Summer" and "15 Big Ones".  He also snuck in some Everly Brothers and assorted one-hit wonders from the '60s and '70s on the end of the cassette. Thought my parents would kill me by the first of the following year as I listened to that cassette almost endlessly for several months after I got it. LOL

Attended my first BB concert in March of 1985. It was a benefit show for the Special Olympics and was held in the local symphony hall. Place is made to be favorable to live classical music and, needless to say, having a pop/rock band play in there was awesome. My ears rang for about three days. Cheesy At some point during the show, Mike Love mentioned that the recording of a new album was wrapping up and it should be released later in the year...

So, technically speaking, the first BB album I actually bought was 1985's "The Beach Boys". Yeah, I know, I know. However, at 14, to see new music from a band that was topping the charts before I was even alive, and one whom I absolutely idolized to boot... well, it made that album go down a whole lot easier. (I like a decent chunk of the album to this day but still wish for better -meaning not Steve Levine- production and arrangements.)

Thus began my five year mission to seek out and acquire all studio and live albums (usually on vinyl because I liked the bigger images and liner notes) recorded by the band, as well as all solo albums by its members. I'd read that many were out-of-print and would probably never see re-release. I lose track of the order now, but "Sunflower", "Surf's Up" and "Holland" became akin to the Holy Grail in terms of actually finding copies of each. LOL Finally tracked all of them down... some were original issues that were used and in G or VG condition, some were the 1980s reissues that omitted a couple tracks... didn't matter to me, just wanted more, more, more of The Beach Boys... the last one I found was "Keepin' The Summer Alive"... just in time for the 1990 reissues from Capitol of their entire catalog to come out. Heh. Bought them all again on cassette because I was worried the vinyl copies wouldn't last forever. LOL (I bought them all yet again in 2000 when the remastered Brother Records/Capitol two-fers came out on CD. I've resisted the latest reissues though, much to my wife's relief. LOL)

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx