gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:41:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Very First Beach Boys Release  (Read 15103 times)
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

Yes, folks, I grew up in that godforsaken era they call the era of the cassette.

The very first Beach Boys release I ever got was a budget cassette-only compilation on EMI Special Products called Do It Again, released in 1984.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360506605960?lpid=82

I think I was lucky that this was my first discovery of the Beach Boys' music in that this is not your average 9-song hits compilation. Indeed, my favorite songs on the collection were "Wendy," "The Little Girl I Once Knew" and the live "Graduation Day," which I particularly loved. This was my very first ticket into a larger world. My next purchase was the 1986 Made in USA CD compilation, where I discovered the wild world of "Heroes and Villains" and could scarcely believe my ears. This is the Beach Boys? My 11-year-old mind was blown.

Did anybody else discover the Beach Boys first on cassette or have this particular comp? Just thought I'd take us on a little nostalgia trip today.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »

My first Beach Boys albums weren't cassette, and I didn't have either of those. But I relate in that I, too, grew up in the era of the cassette. What that meant to me was that I related my parents' copy (or an aunt's, possibly, somehow migrated to our house over time) of the vinyl Endless Summer was understood (by me...god, I hate passive voice) in the context of Sunkist and David Lee Roth, the latter of which was really what I was most interested in--by far. Being tremendously cool as I hit my teens, and thus not remotely interested in that cheesy Sunkist crap, much less "Kokomo" (though I liked the Fat Boys and thus "Wipeout"), it took me another decade or so to get into the Beach Boys in any kind of serious way. Eventually, somewhere in my mid-college years, I was shocked to read that this Beach Boy was apparently some sort of genius and that this Pet Sounds album was not only good, but [what the f***?] great. Bought it, listened to it, absorbed it, yadda yadda yadda*, wrote this post.

Maybe it's too bad I didn't have that comp with H&V. Might've converted me earlier. On the other hand, I was busy proclaiming the glories of Whitesnake and such at the time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »

My first Beach Boys acquisition was on cassette.  A budget compilation called Surf's Up that seemed to have all the right tunes on it (this was back in the mid-80s).  This was my first taste of such tunes as Don't Worry Baby, Catch a Wave, etc.  I played it to death in the car!

My next step was Made in USA on cd, since that was around the time I had made the digital leap.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »

Ah cassettes! Mix tapes are the best, and still have their fans out there.

I'll take your cassette and raise ya - when Endless Summer came out, I was able to record ES to 8-track (also recorded the Beatles Blue Cover Greatest Hits double). Listened to both 8-tracks constantly while driving around. Truly made the mid seventies an endless summer.

The thing about 8-tracks is they transferred channels after the allotted time per tape (with four channels). If you'd listen to them over and over, the loud CLICK between channels would become a familiar part of the song. You'd get used to it. CLICK.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:58 AM »

Yes, folks, I grew up in that godforsaken era they call the era of the cassette.

The very first Beach Boys release I ever got was a budget cassette-only compilation on EMI Special Products called Do It Again, released in 1984.

I think I was lucky that this was my first discovery of the Beach Boys' music in that this is not your average 9-song hits compilation. Indeed, my favorite songs on the collection were "Wendy," "The Little Girl I Once Knew" and the live "Graduation Day," which I particularly loved. This was my very first ticket into a larger world. My next purchase was the 1986 Made in USA CD compilation, where I discovered the wild world of "Heroes and Villains" and could scarcely believe my ears. This is the Beach Boys? My 11-year-old mind was blown.

Did anybody else discover the Beach Boys first on cassette or have this particular comp? Just thought I'd take us on a little nostalgia trip today.

My first Beach Boys item was also a cassette with this exact same lineup. But it was called something else like "Let's Go Surfin" and had a yellow cover.  I received it as a gift...My mom came home from the store and said, "I got your favorite" and then gave it to me. I was kind of confused, though, because I never remembered expressing interest in the Beach Boys. It was around 1986, and I was about 10 and very into current music. It wasn't until 1991 that I really became a big fan and started purchasing on my own (beginning with Absolute Best Vol. 1). I do remember, though, moving into our newly purchased home in 1988 and playing that cassette repeatedly in the empty house as we waited for furniture to come in. The song I played over and over the most was Surfin Safari. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:54:27 AM »

My very first Beach Boys release was the 45 of "Barbara Ann", which I bought when it came out at the tail end of 1965. I thought it was a wonderfully joyous racket----I still do. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:04 AM »

Long Live the Medley and long live 1981.

We (me and big sister) bought the cassette, then we saved up for the record.  It was a time.

Edit - bafflingly, the collection did not include California Girls, go figure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:30:46 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 04:17:32 AM »

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Beach-Boys-The/release/726715

duh-duh-duh,
duh duh,
duh-duh-duh,
duh duh

Please delete my account
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:02:30 AM »

Not only my first BBs release, but my first cd. Spring of 1993, 11 years old, hooked ever since.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/little-deuce-coupe-special-markets-mr0001310120

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »

My first Beach Boys LP, purchased at Brashs, summer 1988. The best summer of my life!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 06:10:01 AM »

The first BB release I ever owned was Endless Summer on 8-Track tape. I was a little kid at the time. I remember that the cover/label was so bubbled up from the heat that it peeled off at the track listing. I played the hell out of it too. Then, I think in 1980, my parents gave me a vinyl copy of Endless Summer. Probably that same year I got my second BB LP, Surfer Girl at a store called Zayre.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

my introduction and first cassette..... still love the songlist....

RickB
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »

I don't think I ever saw that alternate shot of the well known picture before!

My first Beach Boys release was the great "Summer dreams" CD.

I believe it is still one of the only CDs where you get the original "Cottonfields" mix.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:21:58 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »

Best of The Beach Boys Vols 1 & 2 on 8-Track.  Then Endless Summer on vinyl.  Then Made In USA on CD.  Then mad obsession.
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »

I confiscated  my dad's 45 of Sufin Safari/409 and my mom's  Beach Boys Concert Lp.  I then purchased Best of the Best Boys Vol 2 on lp. There was not a whole lot available in Columbus at the time at least for a 7 year old in 73. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »

My mum was responsible for all of The Beach Boys' cd's in my house - a copy of 20 Golden Greats that skipped inexplicably on You're So Good To Me and Heroes & Villains, i think, and Pet Sounds. I remember being 14 and asking, after some reading about how Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper were psych masterpieces of pop music in the fucking NME or something, whether I could pinch my mum's copies of both. She said that Sgt Pepper was nice, but Pet Sounds was 'depressing'.

Luckily, I listened anyway.

The first one I bought with my own money was the 72 live album, after seeing BW live (I really wanted a version of Marcella, as I recall). But I got BWPS for my birthday after watching Beautiful Dreamer on the BBC, then I saw BW live.

So either Pet Sounds, BWPS or In Concert.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »

On CD.  As it turns out, it was the first and only time I could get excited for new Beach Boys material.   Sad
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:38:37 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »

Pet Sounds, on UK cassette, with a revised running order. Summer 1975.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »

BW88 on tape for 99 cents.
After that, Smiley Smile.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »

Best of the Beach Boys - then Smiley Smile. I started there cuz it had Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations. Then I made it to Surf's Up after hearing the legends of the title track...after that Smile...and after that full on obsessive fandom.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:42 PM »

BW88 on tape for 99 cents.
After that, Smiley Smile.

What an interesting way to get into the band. It seems like this would scare most people off, but you kept going.

I bought Pet Sounds because of the hype, wasn't all that crazy about it at first, but still interested. Happened to find this board, posted under a different account name some time ago, and simultaneously listened to Sounds of Summer (my grandfather had three copies of the CD, so I gladly accepted his offer to take one as my own). Thought everything was fine, but obsessed with the Wild Honey material. 

Pet Sounds was my first and made me like the band, Sounds of Summer was my second and made me like the band.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:06:28 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »

Pretty sure I had the same "Do It Again" tape as a youngster in the late 80's.  I listened to one BB tape in particular on my walkman frequently and remember This Car of Mine, Wendy, The Little Girl I Once Knew and the Live Graduation Day being in the track listing, so this comp must be it.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:16 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:45 PM by zatch » Logged
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »

First album I LISTENED to was my elder sisters copy of All Summer Long, which convinced me, a mighty 12 year-old, to go buy the cassette of Best Of Vol.2 (the store had sold out of Vol.1 I recall) - must've been around '73 - and I spent the early teen years absorbing all the great early summer anthems (wasn't really aware of the SMiLE stuff until later) so imagine how thrilled I was when I heard NEW material was coming out in '76 !! And what did we get ? More classic harmonies and fun in the sun, sun, sun ? Nope ! Boy, was I confused with 15 Big Ones. Still, it led me on to other areas to explore so, as Steve Marriott so eloquently put it... mustn't grumble
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:06:09 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx