gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike posts about Robin Williams on facebook  (Read 25063 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

I expect to be flamed for opinion but so be it. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. Suicide wrecks the lives of those left behind.

It's called manic depression, it's a mental illness.

Allow me to quote in full little-known British comedian Alan Sharp's lovely Facebook post on the subject:

Depression is an ugly motherfucker. It takes so much light out of the world, and for those of us on the sidelines it leaves us impotent, wanting so much to help but completely powerless to do so, knowing we're making things worse by being there but scared of what will happen if we leave. RIP Robin Williams. You made so many people happy in life, most of us will never know why one of them couldn't have been you.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »

What's wrong with the Night at the Museum films? They're enjoyable family films that Robin should have felt proud to be a part of.

Robin Williams was, arguably, the most fearless artist of his generation in  any field in any genre.  It wasn't just that the guy knew how to make you laugh, he told you the truth and a truth that was hidden beneath the laughs. People like Williams are able to see the world and see how f***ed-up and absurd and how patently unfair this world is and point out, using humor, that very fact.  To be that brilliant at expressing that with comedy, you have to conversely know and have experienced depths and despair and depression. People ask "why would  such a funny guy be depressed". His depression was what contributed to his brand of humor.  They were different sides of the same coin.  Being in tune with his contemplative and dark side was what made him an even more brilliantly dramatic actor (for a truly disturbing performance, try the 2002 film ONE HOUR PHOTO). That dramatic side is what made his comedic side make sense.

This is a guy who has more than earned enough success in his career doing all kinds of films that, at age 63, he should have had the luxury to be a Bill Murray and be able to pick and choose the projects that he wanted to do instead of the projects that he needed to do in order to pay the bills.  What is sad about the end of his career is that even the "safe" choices that he was forced to make weren't paying off (how many of you even knew that there had been a 2013 Robin Williams TV sitcom?). Nothing against Night at the Museum and other family popcorn fare.  But perhaps Williams wanted more and was frustrated that the inability to have that was out of his hands.

I wish Robin had gone back to the stand up fulltime if he wasn't getting the acting roles he desired. I hate to think that Robin felt he had nothing left to give the world. I was talking to a friend at work today about his passing and we both agreed that in a world where someone famous dies every month, this has hit us both hard.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »

Robin Williams was, arguably, the most fearless artist of his generation in  any field in any genre.  It wasn't just that the guy knew how to make you laugh, he told you the truth and a truth that was hidden beneath the laughs. People like Williams are able to see the world and see how f***ed-up and absurd and how patently unfair this world is and point out, using humor, that very fact.  To be that brilliant at expressing that with comedy, you have to conversely know and have experienced depths and despair and depression. People ask "why would  such a funny guy be depressed". His depression was what contributed to his brand of humor.  They were different sides of the same coin.  Being in tune with his contemplative and dark side was what made him an even more brilliantly dramatic actor (for a truly disturbing performance, try the 2002 film ONE HOUR PHOTO). That dramatic side is what made his comedic side make sense.

This is a guy who has more than earned enough success in his career doing all kinds of films that, at age 63, he should have had the luxury to be a Bill Murray and be able to pick and choose the projects that he wanted to do instead of the projects that he needed to do in order to pay the bills.  What is sad about the end of his career is that even the "safe" choices that he was forced to make weren't paying off (how many of you even knew that there had been a 2013 Robin Williams TV sitcom?). Nothing against Night at the Museum and other family popcorn fare.  But perhaps Williams wanted more and was frustrated that the inability to have that was out of his hands.

Family popcorn fare was a huge part of his career though and always had been. One of the things he was most famous for.

As he was reportedly worth $50m and had a $35m house to sell, he wasn`t in the desperate financial situation that some are suggesting.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »

Surprised that no one has mentioned the new statement by Williams' wife that he was clean and sober but in the early stages of Parkinson's disease.
torjon
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »

Late in the thead but I have seen the words "decision" and "thinking" regarding suicide here and elsewhere.  From what I know the mental state before suicide is pretty distorted and irrational, forms of psychosis and psychotic depression.   So there ain't a lot to work with in terms of making a decision.

The time to take action is long before, when one feels bad but not that bad yet.  It's a pride thing, people tend to be afraid to ask for help, seeing that as weak.  Just the opposite is true,  revealing faults and weaknesses is a sign of strenghth and confidence.

From what I understand Williams was under great financial pressure, which is a common predicate to depression and suicide along with romantic problems, career problems.  So those problems are the warning signs for  many of us.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2014, 07:54:26 AM »

Surprised that no one has mentioned the new statement by Williams' wife that he was clean and sober but in the early stages of Parkinson's disease.
Exactly correct!

Glad you mentioned it. 

It makes a difference. 

He appeared to have worked hard on his sobriety. 

What is clear is that he is missed.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx