gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:23:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike posts about Robin Williams on facebook  (Read 25064 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »

People on this board love to delete their accounts after an argument  LOL

I've never understood it, just log off.

Shame to see another one go.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »

Don't worry. Whenever someone announces to everyone that they are going to leave, it always means they'll stick around. If a person really leaves you never notice it until long after they're gone.  LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »

I find it hilarious  Grin

They will regret leaving when the movie, album and other stuff come out later this year  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »

I feel sad whenever a member leaves even if i didn't necessarily agree with their views.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

Even OSD Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »

I feel sad whenever a member leaves even if i didn't necessarily agree with their views.

It's probably for the best.

If they can't take a heated debate which results in an insult maybe a message board is not the best place for them.

I never like to be insulted but if I receive an apology in the end I'll always take the high road and move on.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »

Well that escalated quickly....

Agreed with Shady.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »

I apologise for nothing.

I've asked Craig to delete my account, despite there being some fantastic people but others drag it down. Might be back in future but who knows, take care everyone.

I'm not encouraging you or anyone else to leave but I'm pretty sure you can delete your own account.

Nope. I've tried. Used to be able to (just as there used to be an 'ignore' button - ah, to have that back...) but not for a few years now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:28:55 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

It's sad to hear that reports started coming out that financial issues were weighing heavily on Williams in recent years, brought on by that divorce and other issues. He had a ranch which I believe he sold to cover some of it, he took a job in television to make money only to have the show canceled after (I believe) one season which also was tough to deal with, and in recent months he apparently didn't look healthy or didn't seem to be himself.

But the worst part I heard was that he was worried about a trust he had established for the children of his friend Christopher Reeve after he died, to care for them after their father was gone and after what I assume were massive medical bills, which again Williams apparently paid those bills for the family as well. One report said he was worried he would not be able to maintain the Reeve children's trust due to his own financial issues which had him near-bankruptcy.

I'm not suggesting finances were the main cause, but how messed up is it that a man who basically supported not only his family but also voluntarily supported the family of his good friend ends up so distraught over money?

Something is broken here...as in, it just ain't working.

I could be wrong but I thought this had been shown to be a myth...

While Robin Williams may well not have been happy about his financial situation, I can`t help but feel that again the depression and mental illness was probably clouding his views to some extent if this was a massive part of his anguish. He was still earning a fortune after all.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »

From Al's Facebook page:

Depression hurts. It has taken another great soul from our ranks. Thank you Robin for the laughter.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »

If they can't take a heated debate which results in an insult maybe a message board is not the best place for them.

I never like to be insulted but if I receive an apology in the end I'll always take the high road and move on.
What would Shady Wilson do?.. Completely agree with everything you said here.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »

With all respect, Micha, but I think you shouldn't be "that kind guy" defending the less fortunate & so on. This is a message board, everyone has a right to voice their opinion, however controversial it may sound. It is interesting to hear from different angles. So what if we disagree? Can we not agree to disagree & call it a day w/o throwing insults? Your last sentence doesn't make sense, because Stephen said that he did experience depression.
My take on issue is having will is the key.

Well, I must plead guilty of posting my answer before reading the rest of the thread. But I think you misread what he wrote: He wrote he had experience with "this" and I think he meant experience with suicide, as he later told us. He didn't say he "experience depression" but uttered his opinion that he "knows what depression is".

Two more things: Why shouldn't I be a kind guy defending the less fortunate? And what was the insult in my post again?

And Micha, Jesus, stop throwing insults! I've never seen such insolent behavior on this board Wink

You got me puzzled there for a moment... until I noticed the smiley. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »

Two more things: Why shouldn't I be a kind guy defending the less fortunate? And what was the insult in my post again?
Because it sounds like a hippie move. Idk how to explain it rightly.

No, no. I was referring to Paulos, he insulted Stephen in a gross way. Just happened that I was quoting you, is all.
Friends? 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »

Still don't get what's wrong about it...

No, no. I was referring to Paulos, he insulted Stephen in a gross way. Just happened that I was quoting you, is all.
Friends? 3D

OK. Smiley

I've met Paulos, he's a gentle guy really, but of course one should argue with someone whose views you disagree with, not hurl insults, even if I sympathize with Paulos' feelings.

Stephen was strange in a way, in PMs he once gave me good advice about a post of mine which I only in retrospect understood that it might hurt some other poster's feelings, but then again he put himself down in an unnecessary and sad way.

This reminds me of a thread where a poster - I don't remember who - basically said Dennis deserved no pity because it was "his choice" to ruin his life with drugs and alcohol. I couldn't make him understand that commiserating someone and trying to understand his behavior doesn't mean excusing his actions which the poster thought I was doing... But I digress.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »

Because someone says so...  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »

Friends? 3D

OK. Smiley

I've met Paulos, he's a gentle guy really, but of course one should argue with someone whose views you disagree with, not hurl insults, even if I sympathize with Paulos' feelings.

Stephen was strange in a way, in PMs he once gave me good advice about a post of mine which I only in retrospect understood that it might hurt some other poster's feelings, but then again he put himself down in an unnecessary and sad way.

This reminds me of a thread where a poster - I don't remember who - basically said Dennis deserved no pity because it was "his choice" to ruin his life with drugs and alcohol. I couldn't make him understand that commiserating someone and trying to understand his behavior doesn't mean excusing his actions which the poster thought I was doing... But I digress.

A sad note I'd like to add, in my *very* humble opinion, is that I have a hunch that feelings of deep creative stagnation as artists were more than likely notable factors in both Robin Williams as well as Dennis Wilson's downfalls. For creative geniuses, doing repeated drek (as they probably viewed it) like Night at The Museum III to pay the bills, as well as the umpteenth traveling jukebox Beach Boys show could probably have been contributing factors wearing on both of these fragile souls. Obviously that's just a part of it, and there were absolutely lots of other factors involved.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:50:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2014, 11:57:37 PM »

What's wrong with the Night at the Museum films? They're enjoyable family films that Robin should have felt proud to be a part of.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »

What's wrong with the Night at the Museum films? They're enjoyable family films that Robin should have felt proud to be a part of.

I agree, they're quite enjoyable films.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »

I agree, they're quite enjoyable films.

I think that by the time you're making a part 3 of most any franchise, you're cashing in for money to pay off your debts... I doubt it fulfilled any artistic desire. I'm sure his problems ran far far deeper than that, of course.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »

Oh, and I forgot: Billy, I wish you all the best, that you may find a new job soon, a better one than the one you've had (whatever it was)!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »

Let's face it, if you're thinking of killing yourself, you're not in a proper frame of mind; you're not thinking about the untold damage it could cause to those left behind. There is no right and wrong here. It's a whole fucking mess that most of us will be lucky enough not to encounter and probably shouldn't pass judgement on those who have
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:00 AM »

Let's face it, if you're thinking of killing yourself, you're not in a proper frame of mind; you're not thinking about the untold damage it could cause to those left behind. There is no right and wrong here. It's a whole fucking mess that most of us will be lucky enough not to encounter and probably shouldn't pass judgement on those who have

Although, a lot of the time, the person thinking of killing themselves actually believes that the ones they leave behind will actually be better off if they're gone. Sad.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2014, 05:57:55 AM »

Yes, but as I said, they're not thinking logically
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »

Robin Williams was, arguably, the most fearless artist of his generation in  any field in any genre.  It wasn't just that the guy knew how to make you laugh, he told you the truth and a truth that was hidden beneath the laughs. People like Williams are able to see the world and see how f***ed-up and absurd and how patently unfair this world is and point out, using humor, that very fact.  To be that brilliant at expressing that with comedy, you have to conversely know and have experienced depths and despair and depression. People ask "why would  such a funny guy be depressed". His depression was what contributed to his brand of humor.  They were different sides of the same coin.  Being in tune with his contemplative and dark side was what made him an even more brilliantly dramatic actor (for a truly disturbing performance, try the 2002 film ONE HOUR PHOTO). That dramatic side is what made his comedic side make sense.

This is a guy who has more than earned enough success in his career doing all kinds of films that, at age 63, he should have had the luxury to be a Bill Murray and be able to pick and choose the projects that he wanted to do instead of the projects that he needed to do in order to pay the bills.  What is sad about the end of his career is that even the "safe" choices that he was forced to make weren't paying off (how many of you even knew that there had been a 2013 Robin Williams TV sitcom?). Nothing against Night at the Museum and other family popcorn fare.  But perhaps Williams wanted more and was frustrated that the inability to have that was out of his hands.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »

(for a truly disturbing performance, try the 2002 film ONE HOUR PHOTO).

Andy, that's a great movie! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx