gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:22:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike posts about Robin Williams on facebook  (Read 24908 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

Robin did seek help throughout his life, and only recently he had been in rehab and even the reports last night said he was being treated for "severe depression".

It is the sad truth in many cases that there simply is no cure - It is a step-by-step, day-to-day process of dealing with it and managing it on an individual basis. Those who have not gone through it simply cannot and will not understand what daily life can be. You could be sitting in your favorite chair, watching television like any normal day and all of a sudden you might get a wave of feelings that make you numb, or go right to your gut where you feel like there isn't much hope. Paralyzing, almost crippling feelings that can come and go at random. You can have great friends, something really fun to look forward to the next day, great personal or professional success, and you can still get those awful feelings wash over you. Then it's the process of dealing with it in the moment, and working through it.

That is even a very mild scenario. It cannot be classified since everyone dealing with it has different experiences centered around the same thing.

With creative types, especially entertainers, imagine the absolute joy, the emotional high of connecting with an audience. Hearing them laugh, hearing them clap in appreciation, seeing a room full of smiling faces connecting with you on stage. Then the gig is done, you wake up the next morning...back to your own reality. The same feelings you deal with through the depression are there again, or they are lurking in the shadows. You hit ultimate highs, the thing you do to connect with people and experience that joy is over and done, maybe another gig is in the works for that night, but in the moment you're zapped back into reality. Eating cereal, watching TV...Bam, there are the thoughts again.

It's more a case of managing it than it is or may ever be finding a cure.

Robin I'm sure saw and realized his fans loved him and supported him, he was a very generous and giving person by all accounts who enjoyed giving back some of himself to millions of people, but underneath all of that were whatever issues he had to deal with and manage on a daily basis. God bless him and everyone who deals with those issues.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »

Robin did seek help throughout his life, and only recently he had been in rehab and even the reports last night said he was being treated for "severe depression".

It is the sad truth in many cases that there simply is no cure - It is a step-by-step, day-to-day process of dealing with it and managing it on an individual basis. Those who have not gone through it simply cannot and will not understand what daily life can be. You could be sitting in your favorite chair, watching television like any normal day and all of a sudden you might get a wave of feelings that make you numb, or go right to your gut where you feel like there isn't much hope. Paralyzing, almost crippling feelings that can come and go at random. You can have great friends, something really fun to look forward to the next day, great personal or professional success, and you can still get those awful feelings wash over you. Then it's the process of dealing with it in the moment, and working through it.

That is even a very mild scenario. It cannot be classified since everyone dealing with it has different experiences centered around the same thing.

With creative types, especially entertainers, imagine the absolute joy, the emotional high of connecting with an audience. Hearing them laugh, hearing them clap in appreciation, seeing a room full of smiling faces connecting with you on stage. Then the gig is done, you wake up the next morning...back to your own reality. The same feelings you deal with through the depression are there again, or they are lurking in the shadows. You hit ultimate highs, the thing you do to connect with people and experience that joy is over and done, maybe another gig is in the works for that night, but in the moment you're zapped back into reality. Eating cereal, watching TV...Bam, there are the thoughts again.

It's more a case of managing it than it is or may ever be finding a cure.

Robin I'm sure saw and realized his fans loved him and supported him, he was a very generous and giving person by all accounts who enjoyed giving back some of himself to millions of people, but underneath all of that were whatever issues he had to deal with and manage on a daily basis. God bless him and everyone who deals with those issues.

An excellent post and this sentence sums things up in a nutshell.
Paulos
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

I expect to be flamed for opinion but so be it. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. Suicide wrecks the lives of those left behind.

Wow, I always thought you were a good guy Stephen but I find your words to be utterly disgusting. f*** you.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

I expect to be flamed for opinion but so be it. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. Suicide wrecks the lives of those left behind.

Not going to flame you, rather voice my opinion that unless you've experienced some degree of clinical depression, or mental illness, you have no idea how debilitating, how utterly hopeless, it can be. There's a time and a plaice to say what you have, and it's not here and now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:40:15 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »

I would generally agree that it's a selfish act that inflicts far more pain on your loved ones than the pain he was living through.  With that said though, like others mentioned when somebody gets that depressed they're no longer thinking rationally.  They get in a place where they think nobody cares about them, nobody will miss them, etc.

The strangest part of something like this is that Robin KNEW that people cared about him, certainly knew his children did.  He was married at the time; and he was a very intelligent guy.  Even with that he got in a place where he thought it was a good decision to end his suffering and heap it on his wife and children instead. 

Ultimately what it comes down to is it's a damn shame all around.  When you watch his movies and see the moments where he gets reflective and tender, I imagine that was how he lived most of his life.  Such a tragedy for his family, I hope they're full aware of the irrationality of it and can get over all the guilt he just handed them. 
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »

I believe a beach boys song was featured in Good Morning Vietnam.
"I Get Around"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuk8AOjGURE

Good Morning Vietnam - and its OST which made the rounds back in the day - was THE channel for my love for the Beach Boys. IGA was the second Beach Boys' song I ever listened to, thanks to the movie.
I get Around and Warmth of Th eSun were in Good Morning Vietnam. There was also discussion about getting The Beach Boys to play a show. I think Don't Worry Baby or Surfer Girl was also featured on the closing credits.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

I believe a beach boys song was featured in Good Morning Vietnam.
"I Get Around"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuk8AOjGURE

Good Morning Vietnam - and its OST which made the rounds back in the day - was THE channel for my love for the Beach Boys. IGA was the second Beach Boys' song I ever listened to, thanks to the movie.
I get Around and Warmth of Th eSun were in Good Morning Vietnam. There was also discussion about getting The Beach Boys to play a show. I think Don't Worry Baby or Surfer Girl was also featured on the closing credits.
I think it was "Don't Worry Baby". Not 100% sure, though.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:25:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

Wow, I always thought you were a good guy Stephen but I find your words to be utterly disgusting. EDITED OUT BY LOWBACCA.
I find your words to be utterly disgusting as well. EDITED OUT BY LOWBACCA.
Paulos' choice of words was harsh, but I can understand the nature of his reaction.

Let's be friends here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:42:13 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:24:51 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

This is a very emotional topic and issue that hits home with members here  - both those who have directly dealt with it themselves or those who have been affected by family members and friends who have dealt with it.

Above all, please be respectful even in a strong debate or disagreement, and consider the effect something like this has on all parties involved and the feelings which are triggered whenever something like this happens with a public figure as well-known as Robin Williams.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »

In a more direct way, please stop the expletives. What was said was said, I wish it didn't come to that, but let's move on. No actions taken unless it keeps escalating: Just an appeal to everyone to avoid that kind of interaction especially where emotions are so strong.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:24:54 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »

In a more direct way, please stop the expletives. What was said was said, I wish it didn't come to that, but let's move on. No actions taken unless it keeps escalating: Just an appeal to everyone to avoid that kind of interaction especially where emotions are so strong.
To be honest - I'm suprised the word in question wasn't blocked, or changed to "f*ck". Anyway..
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

It used to be auto-changed to "foda" if I remember right.
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

Being killed by depression is just as selfish as being killed by a physical illness.  Which is to say it's not at all selfish.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »

The strangest part of something like this is that Robin KNEW that people cared about him, certainly knew his children did.  He was married at the time; and he was a very intelligent guy.  Even with that he got in a place where he thought it was a good decision to end his suffering and heap it on his wife and children instead. 

In his state of mind, he probably thought he was helping them, not simply ending his own suffering. Mental illness warps logical thinking, no matter how intelligent you are - that's why it's called mental illness. It affects the very way you think about things.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

Wow, I always thought you were a good guy Stephen but I find your words to be utterly disgusting. f*** you.

Maybe I have had direct experience of this. Consider that, fuckwad.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »

You guys need to knock off the childish banter.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »

He killed himself in a manner similar to L'Wrenn Scott. They were both found by their personal assistants. I feel sorry for the people walking in on that scene. The fact that his wife didn't go to check on him in spite of living in the same house is also sad.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »

This is what brian posted on FB

"I'm very distressed to hear about Robin Williams. He made the world laugh through his pain and was a very special talent. It's time the world starts talking about depression and taking it seriously. Love and mercy to Robin's family and friends." - Brian

"Hook" is one of my favorite movies. And the soundtrack by John Williams is brilliant. If you have a chance, check it out. I guess, due to the innocence of the (Williams') character it's kinda something you'd expect from Brian too in all it's beauty and melancholy at the same time. Really a fantastic piece of work. I'll put it on tonight in tribute to Robin Williams.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »

The fisher king was an amazing movie
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

We all process tragic events in different ways. Grief, shock, and yes, anger at the deceased. Attacking one another isn't going to bring Robin Williams back or help anyone find peace.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »

As someone who does suffer from severe depression and has attempted suicide on more than one occasion,  i can say from first hand experience that every day is a daily struggle.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »

Well this board is lucky to have such a great guy Billy! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx