gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:50:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike posts about Robin Williams on facebook  (Read 25032 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »

"It is so sad that a person who brought so much joy and laughter to the world could not find the joy within himself and who's life ended so tragically. I had the pleasure of meeting Robin on a flight from London. Robin was genuinely warm, kind and very very funny! He was very generous in his praise of The Beach Boys music, however we were more blown away by his kindness and talent. We will really miss him! This is really messed up...Peace and Love...M.L."
very nice tribute if I must say so....
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »

That was nice.  Such shocking news, Williams was such a talented guy and a great dramatic actor with such a lovable personality.  Good Will Hunting has always been one of my favorite movies.  Just a terrible loss.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »

He was so good in so many different kinds of movies, but mostly I remember him as just an insanely funny comedian. I remember him being on Carson's farewell show, which could've been a very somber affair, but Williams was having none of that, he came out firing on all cylinders, and Carson was loving every minute of it. RIP Robin Sad
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:02 AM »

Very gracious post by Mike. RIP.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:46:07 AM »

I just posted this in the Sandbox - it seems some of the BBs world is united in grief for a true artist and genius:

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:20:15 AM »

Nice post from Mike Love. I am truly saddened by the death of Robin Williams. What a talented funny man he was. RIP.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »

Brian('s people) now posted something as well.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 06:44:35 AM »

RIP Mork.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:52:27 AM »

Its not considered one of his best but I think Robin Williams was great as Popeye.

RIP

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

I expect to be flamed for opinion but so be it. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. Suicide wrecks the lives of those left behind.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »

Hi all,

Wonderful post Mike.  It is sad that Robin wasn't happy.  He will be missed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »

Its not considered one of his best but I think Robin Williams was great as Popeye.

RIP

My favorite!  Wink
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »

RIP

I loved the Popeye movie when I was kid. I still have the Soundtrack LP from 1980, with all songs written by Harry Nillson and conducted/arranged by Van Dyke Parks (who by the way is in the movie playing the piano during a fight scene with Bluto, played by the amazing Paul L Smith).

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

I feel  sorry for the people left behind. His three children and wife.

I expect to be flamed for opinion but so be it. Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. Suicide wrecks the lives of those left behind.

We all know it wrecks lives and you can label it selfish or cowardly if you like, but that just gives the impression that you haven't even the vaguest understanding of the issues. I consider myself to be lucky to have had only very occasional and very brief bouts of depression and anxiety, but from even those brief moments of utter despair I can understand why some people end up seeing no alternative. I can't adequately put into words how I felt at those times, but feelings of utter despair, fear, helplessness and a total absence of hope or joy is about the best I can do (and as I said, I've been lucky in comparison to many people who have likely experienced these issues for much longer periods - I can only imagine how awful some people must feel). I'm lucky to have an incredible wife who was with me and just about kept me going until I felt better, but in my mind at that time there was only one way to stop those feelings of utter despair and fear. If I had to live a life like that, I'm not sure how long I'd be able to do it. It's not a rational act, so why judge people who do it as though it is?

I apologise if I've got you wrong here, I just struggle to understand your viewpoint. I think a little sympathy and understanding for someone who (seemingly) felt unable to live their life any longer seems in order. You can feel sorry for the people left behind without calling the person who took their own life selfish and cowardly. You might even feel sorry for all of them.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »

It is the toughest decision anyone could ever make. The amount of personal anguish one must go through to get to the point of committing suicide is something very few people could understand. Depression robs you of your sanity - at your lowest point, rational thought becomes nearly impossible. To blame the deceased, to call their actions selfish or cowardly isn't fair, imo.

A line from the book Cloud Atlas sums up my thoughts:

“People pontificate, "Suicide is selfishness." Career churchmen like Pater go a step further and call it a cowardly assault on the living. Oafs argue this specious line for varying reason: to evade fingers of blame, to impress one's audience with one's mental fiber, to vent anger, or just because one lacks the necessary suffering to sympathize. Cowardice is nothing to do with it - suicide takes considerable courage. Japanese have the right idea. No, what's selfish is to demand another to endure an intolerable existence, just to spare families, friends, and enemies a bit of soul-searching.”

I think it is a terrible act, one of the worst things those left behind could go through. However, I do not blame those who commit suicide...the inner turmoil, the void; it all snowballs out of control until you feel you can no longer live that way.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »

I believe a beach boys song was featured in Good Morning Vietnam.

I was very sorry to hear of Robin Willams passing. Loved his work in "one hour photo", seriously good actor.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »

"I Get Around"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuk8AOjGURE
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »

No flaming here (Stephen Newcombe), I agree with you re:selfishness and cowardice.  The hurt is far greater for those who are left behind.  But I think it is important to understand that those in the grips of addiction, depression and various other mental illnesses often turn to suicide out of frustration after trying to cope and not having success.  Getting rid of the stigma of mental illness is the first step and is key for many people to realize that they are not alone and that there are many different avenues to explore to manage and or recover.

There are no winners in this scenario.  Suicide isn't right, but it isn't fair to blame Robin.  Who knows what he was going through.  So sad.

For me, this just one of the many inspirational aspects of Brian Wilson's story.  He overcame so much.  Abusive father, extreme drug abuse, demented abuse from an svengali  who was supposed to help him, etc.  And look at what he has accomplished and what he has given us in the last 25 years.  It can bring me to tears and often does.  While some like to mourn what was lost (changed voice, stoic face, lack of showmanship, fluctuating weight) Brian's renaissance and legacy is that of a survivor.  Reminds me of the cheesy but wonderful scene from Rocky Balboa.  "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward.  That's how winning is done"  Brian Wilson may have been broken a few times and he may now be a different guy, but he is winning and that is what makes his career full of comebacks a joy to behold.  I am very happy that Brian found a way to not give into the darkness.  Sorry for the festival of "heart on the sleeve" blubbery, but I am heading to San Fran tomorrow to see Paul McCartney for the first time and after seeing 41 BW/BB shows I am wondering why I waited so long to see Paul and feeling pretty full of  many emotions.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:40:20 AM by Rich Panteluk » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »

It is the toughest decision anyone could ever make. The amount of personal anguish one must go through to get to the point of committing suicide is something very few people could understand. Depression robs you of your sanity - at your lowest point, rational thought becomes nearly impossible. To blame the deceased, to call their actions selfish or cowardly isn't fair, imo.

A line from the book Cloud Atlas sums up my thoughts:

“People pontificate, "Suicide is selfishness." Career churchmen like Pater go a step further and call it a cowardly assault on the living. Oafs argue this specious line for varying reason: to evade fingers of blame, to impress one's audience with one's mental fiber, to vent anger, or just because one lacks the necessary suffering to sympathize. Cowardice is nothing to do with it - suicide takes considerable courage. Japanese have the right idea. No, what's selfish is to demand another to endure an intolerable existence, just to spare families, friends, and enemies a bit of soul-searching.”

I think it is a terrible act, one of the worst things those left behind could go through. However, I do not blame those who commit suicide...the inner turmoil, the void; it all snowballs out of control until you feel you can no longer live that way.
It's not really a decision, or a choice, in the common sense, either. People in these situations don't perceive any alternatives. Any maybe sometimes there aren't any. I find it tough to speak about cowardice or even selfishness in these cases. Again, as long as we stay civil on this topic.. depression as a topic is something BBs fans are familiar with, after all. And like Panteluk said, having Brian still with us is a blessing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »

The act itself was cowardly and selfish but the man himself was anything but. Robin fought his demons for decades while giving people joy and he must have been in an unbearable place in the end to think this was his only option left.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »

"I Get Around"!

Wasn't "Sloop John B" also featured? Or am I getting it confused with another Vietnam movie.

I do recall a scene in Good Morning Vietnam where they are discussing possible live entertainment for the troops, and after a few group names are mentioned Robin says, "Why don't we just get The Beach Boys?"

I am still in shock and so saddened by Robin's death. It always seems the level of grief is directly proportional to the amount of joy and happiness that that person bought you. And Robin Williams brought me a LOT of joy and happiness!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »

Why is it that the funniest people are often the saddest?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »

The act itself was cowardly and selfish [...]
I would argue with you on that one, if this were the right kind of forum. Different people have different views (and probably experiences) on the matter - let's leave it at that.

It's always a tragic circumstance and reason for more suffering, that's for sure.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »

Hi all,

Depression and suicide are both awful.  Lack of confidence is another awful thing.  I fel bad for him and others like him.  I wonder why he didn't seek help?  There are people who believe killing oneself is selfish and cowardly.  Yet try to think about the pain he was in even though he was making the world laugh and smile.  On his facebook page Brian does say to talk about depression.  It is time people did.  Depression is a killer.  It takes the joy out of the person who has it and the people around that person.  Those who can should seek help.  To handle depression by buying a dress or eating a cookie doesn't help.  It just makes it worse.  With the dress all one has is a pwerson in a dress who is depressed.  With the cookie it is simply a distraction.  The problem is still there.  Best to talk about it or see a therapist.  Depression isn't pretty.     
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »

"I Get Around"!

Good Morning Vietnam - and its OST which made the rounds back in the day - was THE channel for my love for the Beach Boys. IGA was the second Beach Boys' song I ever listened to, thanks to the movie.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx