gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 08:59:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which two longtime members have had the worst relationship?  (Read 5418 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »

Of course, a lot is made of the Brian/Mike relationship being contentious through court dates, etc. But I actually don't think this relationship has had serious friction compared to others within the band. For instance, the Dennis/Mike relationship came to blows a few times.

What do you think?
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »

Hi all,

I think that this is no such thing as a perfect relationship in life. 
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

They all pissed each other off, but I'm willing to bet that the worst relationship among the band was between Mike and Dennis.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

Mike and Dennis, can you imagine two bigger opposites?  Or maybe Al and Mike.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »

I thnk the only ones you need to concern yourself with are Al, Mike, Bruce, David and Brian

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »

I'd say Mike and Al since it's basically never been resolved.  Dennis passed away so Mike can't really be too pissed at him.  Mike and Al, 50 years later, are still talking trash at each other. 
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

I wonder why. they had TM in common
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »

I would have to say Carl and ...anyone else in the band! He absolutely hated his bandmates!  LOL
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »

I think Blondie deeply hated Bruce. He still hates him, the hater. Ofc what he doesn't know is that Dave Marks hates him also, in secret....
Mike Love talks about bringing peace and harmony, but that's just a crying shame when Mick Jagger is too chicken sh*t to do IGA vs JJF. What a hater!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

1. Dennis and Mike   Obvious
 2. Al and Mike   The last 20 years
 3. Bruce and David  Based on THE LOST BEACH BOY
 4. Brian and Mike  Lots of issues over the years
 5. Bruce and Carl  Just my own hunch
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »

3. Bruce and David  Based on THE LOST BEACH BOY
Curious about this as I've never read the book and how they seem to get along fine now.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »

On seeing this topic in my list of  "unread posts since last visit" I automatically assumed it was about longtime members of this board! A sign of the times perhaps? Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

3. Bruce and David  Based on THE LOST BEACH BOY
Curious about this as I've never read the book and how they seem to get along fine now.

At the Ventura show recently, Bruce introduced him as "David Marks...almost an original beach boy!"...I think he was trying to be complimentary, but the irony of his comment seemed to elude him. Some drunk kid behind me shouted "he IS an original!"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »

3. Bruce and David  Based on THE LOST BEACH BOY

Well, from what I remember reading in the Stebbins book on Dave, it seems that Bruce has come across to Dave as a bit of a snarky, weasely, fake type (big surprise huh?). For instance, when the idea to bring Dave back into the band in the early '70s came about, it seemed that Bruce would say things to him like "it's such an honor to be in your band" and whatnot, really trying to be overly nice to Dave. But then once it was decided Dave would not be joining the group, all of the sudden Bruce acted like he had no clue who he was. Later in the book Dave says Bruce ends up basically doing the same thing in the '90s, with Dave remarking something like, "at least he's consistent."

And then in the '90s when Dave joined "The Beach Boys" it seemed that once again Bruce seemed to come across to Dave as kind of a prick. I remember at least one scenario where Dave said he was supposed to be joining Mike in a certain car after a show or something, and right as he was about to, Bruce jumped in and kinda gave him a face like "sucks to be you pal" as they pulled away. I think Dave may have ended up throwing something as they drove away too.

Now to be sure, I don't have the book on me, and I'm probably misremembering some of it, but I think this gets at the gist of it. Hopefully somebody else will be able to fill in the blanks though.

And although Bruce seems like a total dick, he did facilitate one really great thing for David. Apparently he introduced the future Mrs. Marks (Carrie) to Dave.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:10:26 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »

What the hell is wrong with Bruce? David built the gravy train he has been coasting on for decades. Ungrateful prick

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:21:27 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

On seeing this topic in my list of  "unread posts since last visit" I automatically assumed it was about longtime members of this board! A sign of the times perhaps? Grin

Oldsurferdude and Sheriff John Stone.  Grin

Ok, I made that up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »

1.  Jack Reiley vs Bruce.
2.  Mike vs. VDP
3.  Mike vs Al
4.  David vs. Murray

I use these as examples because they all resulted in "ejections".

And just to address the subject, Mike has said that he and Dennis got along fine when Dennis was not shite-faced.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

Dennis passed away so Mike can't really be too pissed at him.

Think legacy and image.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 02:28:52 AM »

Well, from what I remember reading in the Stebbins book on Dave, it seems that Bruce has come across to Dave as a bit of a snarky, weasely, fake type (big surprise huh?). For instance, when the idea to bring Dave back into the band in the early '70s came about, it seemed that Bruce would say things to him like "it's such an honor to be in your band" and whatnot, really trying to be overly nice to Dave. But then once it was decided Dave would not be joining the group, all of the sudden Bruce acted like he had no clue who he was. Later in the book Dave says Bruce ends up basically doing the same thing in the '90s, with Dave remarking something like, "at least he's consistent."

And then in the '90s when Dave joined "The Beach Boys" it seemed that once again Bruce seemed to come across to Dave as kind of a prick. I remember at least one scenario where Dave said he was supposed to be joining Mike in a certain car after a show or something, and right as he was about to, Bruce jumped in and kinda gave him a face like "sucks to be you pal" as they pulled away. I think Dave may have ended up throwing something as they drove away too.

Now to be sure, I don't have the book on me, and I'm probably misremembering some of it, but I think this gets at the gist of it. Hopefully somebody else will be able to fill in the blanks though.

And although Bruce seems like a total dick, he did facilitate one really great thing for David. Apparently he introduced the future Mrs. Marks (Carrie) to Dave.

You got it 95% right. David actually kicked the car door as it drove off...

The book doesn`t really make Bruce appear like a total dick. Just that he and David were completely different people. And David`s drinking was obviously a problem at the time so I would guess he wasn`t the easiest person to deal with at the time either...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 03:09:38 AM »

2.  Mike vs. VDP
3.  Mike vs Al
4.  David vs. Murray

And just to address the subject, Mike has said that he and Dennis got along fine when Dennis was not shite-faced.

Once again, the intrusive 'a'...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 03:27:18 AM »

2.  Mike vs. VDP
3.  Mike vs Al
4.  David vs. Murray

Once again, the intrusive 'a'...
Yes indeed! Although the real fun starts when the discussion turns to Jack Rieley. Is it Rielly, Reilly, Riley, Rieley or Reiley?  LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »

Realley?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »

Murry vs. "A".

Murry: "What's the matter 'A', you made too much money? You got the guts, punk? I have 10,000 words for you, and none of 'em include the letter 'A'!"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:36:35 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »

What the hell is wrong with Bruce?
Just about everything? Songs, voice, style, ideas, you name it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx