-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Robin Williams dead at 63
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Robin Williams dead at 63  (Read 11540 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

One of the all-time greats of comedy has passed on. He was found dead of a possible suicide at his home after battling severe depression. The cause of death was asphyxiation.

This has taken me by utter shock. Some of the classics he has been in are Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poet's Society, Awakenings, Mrs Doubtfire, etc.

R.I.P.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:56:04 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »

What the hell? Totally shocking and tragic.

R.I.P.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »

Really Sad News!    Cry

One of the greats!   

A Sad day indeed...

RickB
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

Popeye! 

Far and away!

RIP - your life was a true gift.   Love
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:14 PM »

Hi all,

It is very sad that Robin Williams is dead.  He was in a lot of great movies.  It also very sad that he was depressed.  A lesson for all of us to know that being wealthy and a VERY good actor isn't all its written up to be. 
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »

Shazbat!!! Sad
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »

One of my favorite comedians, so sorry to hear this sad news.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »

Sorry to hear this. RIP Robin Williams
Mork calling Orson...come in Orson...

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »

Still in shock

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »

I went numb in the car when it was confirmed. I really enjoyed his work going back to Mork And Mindy but wasn't a major-major fan, I think it was the shock. Heard it on the way to an appointment at 7, just a brief message "comedian Robin Williams dead at 63 of an apparent suicide". Quickly scanned the other news stations...nothing, no word at all. Thought I may have heard it wrong. Just after 8, back in the car to another appointment, radio on - it was confirmed. I literally went numb for a few seconds. Such a shame.

Creative, artistic types battle these issues often. Those who are geniuses in their specific field, as Robin was with improvisation, struggle even more. There is almost a twisted or perverted trade-off with those true artists and geniuses in their field, where the incredible talent is often at a cost of battling any number of personal issues. His comedic muse, inspiration, and near-soul mate Jonathan Winters suffered the same way, battling various mental illnesses his whole life to the point of being hospitalized. That man was another manic genius of improvised comedy. It's a shame to lose such a talent.

Good Will Hunting. That's the clincher for me.

As far as his comedy, he appeared with his idol Jonathan Winters on "The Tonight Show" the week before Carson left the air, May 1992. I still have it on VHS. The two of those men basically put on a clinic on what comedy and improvisation was all about...just the two of them riffing off of each other sitting on Carson's soon to be retired couch. It was an amazing performance, a tour de force. And the two of them were riffing on setup after line after joke like a machine, and all of it from their imaginations.

The guy made a lot of people laugh, in many ways that's both priceless and a legacy to be celebrated.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »

It always seemed to me, that some of the most successful actors of our time have been stand-up comedians.  Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey come to mind.  Even though they're not always directly great actors in a traditional sense -- they often become so.  Doing, so well, what any great actor aims to do -- connect with their audience.

Being a stand-up comedian basically means you're a one-man show.  Jonathan Winters, one of Robin Williams biggest influences and who also just passed away recently -- said it's the most terrifying thing in the world -- to be up there, just you, having to entertain an audience.  Williams and Winters -- two loony peas in a manically brilliant pod.

Williams, like Winters, was astonishingly brilliant at improve.  Working on the edge of this -- one of the most terrifying cliffs in the world of entertainment.  And he was a sharpshooter with a gatling gun.  A genius.

Then he became a great actor.  Good Will Hunting, Patch Adams.  Dead Poets Society.  Pulling off classic roles, that only he could portray... and able to rip your heart out like some of the greatest actors of all time.  Whether you like, loved or hated his manic style of comedy -- he was brilliant at it.  A performer with so much talent that he had no choice but to be Robin Williams.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:28:50 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

The World According To Garp

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »

The genie in Aladdin -- absolutely brilliant.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »

Ah. So sad.

Carpe diem. Seize the day. Make your life extraordinary.

Farewell Robin.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »

I went numb in the car when it was confirmed. I really enjoyed his work going back to Mork And Mindy but wasn't a major-major fan, I think it was the shock. Heard it on the way to an appointment at 7, just a brief message "comedian Robin Williams dead at 63 of an apparent suicide". Quickly scanned the other news stations...nothing, no word at all. Thought I may have heard it wrong. Just after 8, back in the car to another appointment, radio on - it was confirmed. I literally went numb for a few seconds. Such a shame.

Creative, artistic types battle these issues often. Those who are geniuses in their specific field, as Robin was with improvisation, struggle even more. There is almost a twisted or perverted trade-off with those true artists and geniuses in their field, where the incredible talent is often at a cost of battling any number of personal issues. His comedic muse, inspiration, and near-soul mate Jonathan Winters suffered the same way, battling various mental illnesses his whole life to the point of being hospitalized. That man was another manic genius of improvised comedy. It's a shame to lose such a talent.

As far as his comedy, he appeared with his idol Jonathan Winters on "The Tonight Show" the week before Carson left the air, May 1992. I still have it on VHS. The two of those men basically put on a clinic on what comedy and improvisation was all about...just the two of them riffing off of each other sitting on Carson's soon to be retired couch. It was an amazing performance, a tour de force. And the two of them were riffing on setup after line after joke like a machine, and all of it from their imaginations.

The guy made a lot of people laugh, in many ways that's both priceless and a legacy to be celebrated.

I was in the car when I found out too.  I couldn't believe it  Cry.  he will be surely missed.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »

...the f***?!?  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »

His cocaine fueled 80's stand up performances have to be seen to be believed. Pure comic genius just exploding out of him at a breathneck pace. And as mentioned, later became a great serious actor. The Fisher King, Awakenings, Good Will Hunting... a true talent.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:48 AM »

His cocaine fueled 80's stand up performances have to be seen to be believed. Pure comic genius just exploding out of him at a breathneck pace. And as mentioned, later became a great serious actor. The Fisher King, Awakenings, Good Will Hunting... a true talent.
Probably the funniest thing I've seen or heard in my life Robin Williams singing a Bruce Springsteen song in an Elmer Fudd voice.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

I was in the car when I found out too.  I couldn't believe it  Cry.  he will be surely missed.

I too was in the car... On the way to the doctor's for a routine check-up. At first, the radio was saying that there were rumours that he died, but gradually more details came in...
It was completely shocking, hope he's in a better place now.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:55:35 AM »

Very sad news about a funny funny guy.

Fly, be free!

RIP

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:54 AM »

I just woke up, made coffee, logged in to Facebook and saw this right at the top of my feed:

A sad, sad day. Hope he's at peace now.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »

I think Mike's statement seems to hit the nail on the head. What a tragic loss.

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/robin-williams-rip.html
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »

I'm stunned. I haven't felt so hollow about a celebrity death since Lennon died.

I nipped up the road for the evening paper, came back opened it out and there on the front page the headline, 'John Lennon dead'. My brain refused to process it.

This was in the days before mobiles, all day TV, didn't have a radio, just had to wait for the six o'clock news to come on for confirmation.

What a tragic loss, at least he has peace now.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »

"Robin Williams was a bottomless well of creativity that we can never see again."

-- Quoted from Nelson Bragg (above)

That line sums up exactly what I wanted to say.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:32:49 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »

I pulled out my old copy of Reality, What A Concept today (I forgot that it was on Casablanca Records...at first I thought I accidentally put a Kiss album in the record sleeve). What a funny record! I love 'Shakespeare, A Meltdowner's Nightmare and Grandpa Funk! I might put the Popeye Soundtrack album on the record player later. Some of those songs make me feel sad though...

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: