gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:57:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daryl Dragon Producer  (Read 2327 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

This from an Ear Candy interview discussing Daryl's role during Sunflower:

"I have no proof that I contributed much to that album, but I feel that I literally PRODUCED many of the cuts on that album. Dennis Wilson - sadly - is no longer with us, but I’m sure if you were able to contact him ‘on the other side’, he’d substantiate my production credit / arrangement input for SUNFLOWER."

I assume this means Daryl coproduced Dennis's cuts, working on the arrangements?  Or did he do the same on some of the other's tracks as well?  I know he wrote the ending of Don't Go Near the Water on Surf's Up.  I'd be interested if anyone has more details on Daryl's production role.  On the Dennis Wilson Dreamer site interview he talks about orchestral arrangements for Dennis songs on Carl and The Passions - did Daryl also do Be With Me and Never Learn Not to Love?  I always thought it was a giant leap for Dennis to make to go from Little Bird (which had Brian's help) and Be Still to something as complex as the orchestral arrangements for Be With Me.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 02:24:31 PM »

This from an Ear Candy interview discussing Daryl's role during Sunflower:

"I have no proof that I contributed much to that album, but I feel that I literally PRODUCED many of the cuts on that album. Dennis Wilson - sadly - is no longer with us, but I’m sure if you were able to contact him ‘on the other side’, he’d substantiate my production credit / arrangement input for SUNFLOWER."

I assume this means Daryl coproduced Dennis's cuts, working on the arrangements?  Or did he do the same on some of the other's tracks as well?  I know he wrote the ending of Don't Go Near the Water on Surf's Up.  I'd be interested if anyone has more details on Daryl's production role.  On the Dennis Wilson Dreamer site interview he talks about orchestral arrangements for Dennis songs on Carl and The Passions - did Daryl also do Be With Me and Never Learn Not to Love?  I always thought it was a giant leap for Dennis to make to go from Little Bird (which had Brian's help) and Be Still to something as complex as the orchestral arrangements for Be With Me.

Its been long established that Van McCoy scored the strings on Be With Me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:41:46 PM »

Regarding the leap in arrangements on "Little Bird" to later cuts, don't confuse composing OR producing with arranging. Dennis, from what I've read, didn't arrange any of the non-"rock" instruments--at least not formally. He had ideas, no doubt, but used Dragon and others to flesh them out. (For that matter, nobody but Brian and likely Bruce would've done real arranging, I'd guess.) I'd guess he'd bang out some ideas on piano (or whatever) and leave the rest to someone more schooled.

By the way, I think the arrangement of "Little Bird" doesn't have to take a back seat to any other Dennis track. In fact, that it isn't so melodramatic is a plus to me. I think Dennis tended to allow his songs to get a bit overblown for my taste.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »

I've also been intrigued with Daryl's comments.  I think he just feels like he contributed a lot to the record and maybe would have liked a little more back from the Boys, or something.  I'd imagine it'd be safe to say he coproduced some of Dennis' things.  A bit of a sounding board for Dennis.

I'd love to hear some more stories from Daryl about his time recording with the Boys. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:59:23 PM »

It seems to call for a comment from Steve Desper.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:39:33 PM »

I think I remember Steve downplaying Daryl a few times actually.  I think I sort of asked Steve if Daryl was around a lot, hanging out...and Steve made it clear that in his opinion, Daryl was just a hired hand that came in when he was called, but then again, Steve's book seems to reference Daryl quite a lot.  Hopefully when Steve is better and back into the swing, we can get some more stories.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:04:23 AM »

Regarding the leap in arrangements on "Little Bird" to later cuts, don't confuse composing OR producing with arranging. Dennis, from what I've read, didn't arrange any of the non-"rock" instruments--at least not formally. He had ideas, no doubt, but used Dragon and others to flesh them out. (For that matter, nobody but Brian and likely Bruce would've done real arranging, I'd guess.) I'd guess he'd bang out some ideas on piano (or whatever) and leave the rest to someone more schooled.

By the way, I think the arrangement of "Little Bird" doesn't have to take a back seat to any other Dennis track. In fact, that it isn't so melodramatic is a plus to me. I think Dennis tended to allow his songs to get a bit overblown for my taste.

On the 45, "Little Bird" has an "Arranged by Brian Wilson" label credit.

Craig
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 12:36:57 PM »

I assumed it wasn't a Dennis arrangement regardless. My point was that it's quite good, not inferior to later ones (which were presumably by Dragon).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »

I assumed it wasn't a Dennis arrangement regardless. My point was that it's quite good, not inferior to later ones (which were presumably by Dragon).

Agree 100%.  Always loved the arrangement on "Little Bird".
By the late '70s, Dennis was arranging...e.g. "Baby Blue". 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx