gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:38:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Favourite punk band:
Ramones - 15 (39.5%)
The Stooges - 5 (13.2%)
The Clash - 1 (2.6%)
Misfits - 2 (5.3%)
Sex Pistols - 5 (13.2%)
Black Flag - 0 (0%)
Bad Religion - 2 (5.3%)
Dead Boys - 0 (0%)
Stiff Little Fingers - 0 (0%)
Buzzcocks - 3 (7.9%)
The Damned - 2 (5.3%)
NOFX - 0 (0%)
MC5 - 1 (2.6%)
Richard Hell & The Voidoids - 1 (2.6%)
Dead Kennedys - 1 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: YOUR FAVOURITE PUNK BAND?  (Read 21376 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:34 AM »

So for all you "admirers or players of punk rock, typically characterized by coloured spiked hair and clothing decorated with safety pins or zips" (Oxford Dictionary) out there, what's your favOIrite band of that specific genre?

I put down as many relevant (known) bands as came to mind. Feel free to introduce your shabbily-glorious favourite band no one's ever hard of, though. Smiley

P.S. I know 'punk' is a nebulous term - but please keep it as 'pure' as possible, meaning: any proto- or post-punk acts excluded. That's why there's no New York Dolls, Patti Smith or Joy Division in the poll.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:48:54 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:18 AM »

Ramones, no doubt. One of my favourite bands full stop. Somedays I feel their music is everything rock 'n' roll should be, no more, no less. "It takes sophistication to understand the Ramones' simplicity".

Although to be honest, the best album album I've heard by a punk band is London Calling.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:48 AM »

Damn, we're counting Stooges as punk? Gonna have to rethink my choice then...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 05:06:48 AM »

Yeah, that wasn't a no-brainer, though.. some might label them as proto-punk and stuff, but to me.. those LPs.. damn, that's punk. Same reason I included MC5. But that sort of discussion is always imminent when talking about 'punk'... and we haven't started the whole UK vs. US punk yet. Cheesy Let's keep it contained to favourite bands, though. Tongue
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 05:10:04 AM »

Yeah, that wasn't a no-brainer, though.. some might label them as proto-punk and stuff, but to me.. those LPs.. damn, that's punk. Same reason I included MC5. But that sort of discussion is always imminent when talking about 'punk'... and we haven't started the whole UK vs. US punk yet. Cheesy Let's keep it contained to favourite bands, though. Tongue

Fair enough...I stay with the Ramones because it's them that I think of when I hear the word "punk", even though I like Stooges more overall.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:57 AM »

I voted for The Ramones, with Honorable Mention going to:

- The New York Dolls
- The Stranglers
- The Dictators
- The Heartbreakers
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:29:36 AM »

The Saints - sentimental favs from my home town - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64kAK0CZjdk

Razor - also from Brisbane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtuU5CnKRBs

Oz punk scene - lots of good stuff; check it out sometime

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »

The Clash with The Ramones and Dead Kennedys at a close second and third.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »

No Music Machine?

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »

Where's the Germs and X, yo
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »

Probably either Sex Pistols or Ramones. Would like to get into more Punk music though.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »

Either the Clash or the Ramones, both incredible bands, I have little patience for punk music otherwise, I find the nihilistic attitudes off-putting and I've honestly never seen the appeal of the Sex Pistols, though I do love the film Sid and Nancy.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »

No Music Machine?
Where's the Germs and X, yo
I know, I know.... Undecided But the Stooges were already a stretch and Music Machine just ain't punk in the narrower sense. Proto-punk, at best. Great garage rock, sure. As for Germs and X (yo!) - it goes without saying the selection for relevant bands in the poll was tough to begin with. I don't see Germs having the same kind of legacy as the other selected bands do. The X-cluding of the latter was a much more difficult decision.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 04:26:01 AM »

The Sex Pistols, purely on the strength of Never Mind the Bollocks. Every home should have a copy.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »

The Ramones....

I go through long, long periods where The Ramones and The Beach Boys are the two best bands of all time.
Paulos
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »

Bad Religion for me, fantastic band (apart from Into The Unknown...)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »

I see I'm still the only vote for MC5.  If that's a consideration they win.  A great great band - I wore out the 2nd record when it came out.  Punk before it was called Punk.
There is a thin line between what MC5 (and many others) did in the late 60's/early 70's - loud, fast garage/rock, and what The Ramones did - loud, fast, fighting over table scraps rock.  They invented Punk Rock in and of the time in America.  They had charisma and influence on what followed in both America and the UK.  Both added melody after shocking the world with their first albums.  As did Iggy and David (The Dolls were more Glam if you ask me), and many of the others that you could more rightly call Proto-Punk by definition.  The Heartbreakers were Punk for sure.    You are looking at the politic angle by placing MC5 here.  And The Clash.  Take away the politics and you have The Pretenders and Roxy.  Roxy in the late 70's was little different from the DKs.  Both influenced by The Ramones.  One English band comes to mind that was not influenced by the Ramones - Radio Stars.  Johnny was looking up at Andy Ellison on stage before there was a Sex Pistol.  Andy was a Punk before The Ramones were heard about in England.  England had their own Punk attitude, which as with The Ramones grew out of Garage Rock.  You almost have to separate America's and the UK Punk origins, as they came from the same angst in the same period of time.  Jet (one of Andy's earlier bands) were more Glam.  But not Radio Stars - they were Punk.  Martin Gordon was a punk too, as he was writing most of the material.  He brought n the melody angle, Andy just liked to scream and cream.  If they were on the list, they would get my vote.  Was the Buzzcocks on the list?  The Stranglers?  Where does that leave Dire Straits?  Too many thin lines.
Politics.
Politics had a lot to do with early Punk where I lived at the time.  San Francisco in 1978 was Wild in the Streets (and Clubs).  But that faded fast and became something else, something violent.  The DKs had a lot to do with that.  Who wants to go out to a club to get knocked around and beat up.  Jello was asking for it, though I guess he would deny that now.  Rollins and Biafra came across as politicians more than musicians.  I did see them live - on stage and at City Hall.  Strange, but interesting times.  Nobody was going to elect them Mayor, or to the Board of Supervisors - not even in their own districts.  But Punk is more than just politics.  Modern politicians have music playing behind them.
Let the argument continue.  I'm sure I'll have to come back to clarify some of what I've said.  but not today.  It's Saturday, and I'm going to go get drunk.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:00:59 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »

I see I'm still the only vote for MC5.  If that's a consideration they win.  A great great band - I wore out the 2nd record when it came out.  Punk before it was called Punk.
There is a thin line between what MC5 (and many others) did in the late 60's/early 70's - loud, fast garage/rock, and what The Ramones did - loud, fast, fighting over table scraps rock.  They invented Punk Rock in and of the time in America.  They had karisma and influence on what followed in both America and the UK.  Both added melody after shocking the world with their first albums.  As did Iggy and David (The Dolls were more Glam if you ask me), and many of the others that you could more rightly call Proto-Punk by definition.  The Heartbreakers were Punk for sure.    You are looking at the politic angle by placing MC5 here.  And The Clash.  Take away the politics and you have The Pretenders and Roxy.  Roxy in the late 70's was little different from the DKs.  Both influenced by The Ramones.  One English band comes to mind that was not influenced by the Ramones - Radio Stars.  Johnny was looking up at Andy Ellison on stage before there was a Sex Pistol.  Andy was a Punk before The Ramones were heard about in England.  England had their own Punk attitude, which as with The Ramones grew out of Garage Rock.  You almost have to separate America's and the UK Punk origins, as they came from the same angst in the same period of time.  Jet (one of Andy's earlier bands) were more Glam.  But not Radio Stars - they were Punk.  Martin Gordon was a punk too, as he was writing most of the material.  He brought n the melody angle, Andy just liked to scream and cream.  If they were on the list, they would get my vote.  Was the Buzzcocks on the list?  The Stranglers?  Where does that leave Dire Straits?  Too many thin lines.
Politics.
Politics had a lot to do with early Punk where I lived at the time.  San Francisco in 1978 was Wild in the Streets (and Clubs).  But that faded fast and became something else, something violent.  The DKs had a lot to do with that.  Who wants to go out to a club to get knocked around and beat up.  Jello was asking for it, though I guess he would deny that now.  Rollins and Biafra came across as politicians more than musicians.  I did see them live - on stage and at City Hall.  Strange, but interesting times.  Nobody was going to elect them Mayor, or to the Board of Supervisors - not even in their own districts.  But Punk is more than just politics.  Modern politicians have music playing behind them.
Let the argument continue.  I'm sure I'll have to come back to clarify some of what I've said.  but not today.  It's Saturday, and I'm going to go get drunk.
Great post, thanks. Buzzcocks are on the list, though. Smiley
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »

Either the Clash or the Ramones, both incredible bands, I have little patience for punk music otherwise, I find the nihilistic attitudes off-putting and I've honestly never seen the appeal of the Sex Pistols, though I do love the film Sid and Nancy.

Opposite for me, I cannot stand the movie Sid & Nancy but I love The Sex Pistols, especially the pre-Sid days. I'm a Lydon fan and I find the actor who portrayed Johnny Rotten in Sid & Nancy to be too goofy to be Lydon, especially with his mannerisms and with the way he laughed and such.

My favorite punk band is The Damned. I already said this in another punk-thread on this board, but in my opinion The Damned have always been more interesting, more talented, had better material and should've been way more famous. But instead people chose The Clash. I really don't see why people love 'em so much. I'm a huge punk fan but I never cared for The Clash. I never considered them punk. They're about as punk as U2 (whatever, just my opinion).

Other than the Damned, I really love The Weirdos, The Dickies, Dead Kennedys, and The Germs (all from California). I absolutely LOVE The Ramones, only second to The Damned. Husker Du and Bad Brains were awesome. Some other great UK punk bands included The Buzzcocks, Johnny Moped, X-Ray Spex and the very noisey Chaos UK from Bristol.

I don't care for the skinhead type of punk such as Oi! (it's spelled that way, with the "!"). The Oi! bands were BORING! Except maybe Sham 69, but they didn't consider themselves Oi!, they considered themselves a 'punk rock' band. All the other Oi! bands that I can think of, The Last Resort, The 4 Skins, The Exploited, Combat 84 and the lot.....blech! Okay, so you can play fast crappy chords and shout Oi! Oi! Oi! in every chorus and sing about right wing politics mixed with knuckle-head macho insecurity....give me the old '77 era punk bands any day. Lol, and all that stuff they play on the radio that they sometimes call 'punk', like Green Day....that's not punk kiddies. That's today's pop.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

The party has started here, but let me take a moment to clarify.
Lowbacca,  What I meant was if you have the Buzzcocks on the list, where does that leave Dire Straits?  They were both (and with many others) in the UK Pub scene.  Punks and rockers like early Costello, Nick, any of the Stiff Records gang, could be considered Punk.  But The Heartbreakers were more the real deal.  What year were they formed?  They carry the Ramones influence.
Again, thin lines and similar circumstances were creating both scenes in America and the UK.  Poverty and a government out of their control - what else is new.  What label did you put on The Jam?  Even the kids coming out of affluent backgrounds were dealing with poverty as young adults.  The Ramones didn't come out of the projects, though a lot of the UK kids were coming from the Council Housing.  You know, like those savage young Beatles, save Lennon.  And he didn't want anyone to know.
Everyone, I didn't like The Sex Pistols.  But do like the Sid and Nancy film.  That is really about the scene, not just the Pistols.  I do agree the actor playing Johnny wasn't even close.  Lydon was a... scratch that.  It's all subjective.  pixletwin likes Biafra.  Boy, he had a lot of agenda cards up his sleeve.  I agree with some of the things he stood for.  I worked/volunteered for the Tenants Union for about ten years, until I lost all hope things could get better.  I protested for the rights of people.  People, fairness, don't mix well with politics.  As I said, many of the Punk bands felt the same way, and took their protest to the stage and into the streets.
Mike G., Love the dig at Green Day.  What poseurs.  I to this day have some kid posting complaints on youtube because I had the audacity to say "Warning...something, can't remember the whole title" was a rip of Ray Davies "Picture Book."  But, The Clash have a place in history.  Like the Pretenders, too much melody to be Punk, but good Rock.  One of them married Pearl E. Gates - she was great.  Still listen to that record once in a while, she was part of the Bay scene - Pearl Harbour and the Explosions.  Early Clash was closer than not, with the political stuff - that was Joe though, not Mick.  U2 never tried or said they were.  so let's not pick on them or bring them into the subject.  They were God's messengers.  They protested a bit to go along with their peers. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

There are no other gods. Only The Ramones.

Now will the congregation join me,

HEY

HO

LETS GO

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

My favorite band of the so-called punk era by far would be Television.  But they're not punk at all.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

What I meant was if you have the Buzzcocks on the list, where does that leave Dire Straits? 

The Sultans of Snot

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:54:25 AM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 12:47:48 AM »

Adolescents, Angry Samoans, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat: where are they?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:54:45 AM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx