gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Elvis tune countdown (including Mike Love & Bruce Johnston's picks)  (Read 1580 times)
RockabillyNBlues
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:07:54 AM »

The Favorite Elvis Tunes Countdown begins.  Both Mike Love and Bruce Johnston picked the same one!  Hear them intro it.  Plus, The Mavericks cover Motley Crue and classics from Johnny Burnette and more on the new Rockabilly N Blues Radio Hour!  http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2014/08/elvis-countdown-part-1-and-more.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:44:38 AM »

Thanks!
Interesting choice from Mike and Bruce. It's a very nice song.

I always wondered what Brian's favorite Presley song was. My guess - but it's not more than that - would be "His latest flame" or "The wonder of you" since there's footage of Brian playing these two on piano.

"One night (of sin)" is so inferior compared to the released "One night" imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »

"Paralyzed"! My all-time favourite Elvis recording.

Thanks for the link, RockabillyNBlues!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:06 AM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:29:32 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »

"Paralyzed"! My all-time favourite Elvis recording.

Where's the rest? I only see the first part which stops with "Loving you".....

Anyway, "Paralyzed" is a very cool tune. Thankfully we also have a live version from December 1956 and a version recorded during the Million Dollar Quartet session in the same month. Scotty Moore's guitar line on that tune is just so "funny" (for lack of a better word).

"One night (of sin)" is so inferior compared to the released "One night" imo.
You got that right! Way too much piano in "sin" (does elvis play that part I wonder???) and not enough guitar.

I don't know but it could be. It's far from being virtuosic so who knows.
He's likely playing the electric guitar on the released version. That guitar probably was Scotty Moore's 56 Gibson Super 400 CESN which can be seen here played by Elvis:

Scotty gave the guitar to Chips Moman and so it found it's way onto Elvis' '69 recordings of "Kentucky rain" and "Suspicious minds" played by Reggie Young.
See this site: http://www.scottymoore.net/56S400.html

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:23:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RockabillyNBlues
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

Each week in August we count down 5 more....the last Monday of August will have the top 5.  We are paying tribute to Elvis during August since he passed away in August '77.  It was really fun seeing the response from listeners as well as other artists.  I had an artist pick "Paralyzed" in an upcoming show.  Mike and Bruce were the only 2 I got on tape saying their favorite tune and it was cool that they both picked the same one!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx