gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85523 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 28, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »

Amen to that, Eric!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: December 30, 2015, 04:42:48 AM »

Got mine this morning, devoured it while the laundry was drying. The Paley interview is the stuff of life to the likes of me. More new session dates !!

One point I would argue: Landy didn't help Brian get his publishing back... because he didn't get it back. He did get an out of court settlement of $10 million in April 1992, but the publishing remained with Irving/Almo.

The Griffin recordings - am I right in thinking they're mostly, if not all, covers ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 01, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Hi David and Lee,

I damn near starved to death reading the latest ESQ - deciding to take things easy and have a quick skim read in bed before breakfast, I was soon fully hooked into the Paley interview and had to read every word twice - a fantastic read, and definitely unputdownable despite the ferociously cannibalistic rumblings of my pudgy post christmas gut.

Thanks also to Lee for another kickin' review of the Analogue Productions reissue series, with the focus on the digital media - not having yet squandered my vast fortune on these items, it provides a some balanced and reasonable previews of what to expect.

Looking forward to another great year for ESQ - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: January 01, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »

Got mine this morning, devoured it while the laundry was drying. The Paley interview is the stuff of life to the likes of me. More new session dates !!

One point I would argue: Landy didn't help Brian get his publishing back... because he didn't get it back. He did get an out of court settlement of $10 million in April 1992, but the publishing remained with Irving/Almo.

The Griffin recordings - am I right in thinking they're mostly, if not all, covers ?

Based on the titles, I would tend to think so...however, seeing the title "Mary Honey" makes me wonder, as Chuck "Crane" Kirkpatrick recalled that Brian played him his demo of a tune with that same name following the "Shortenin' Bread" session at Brother (January '78). Brian even had Earle run off a cassette dub for Kirkpatrick, but it was later stolen from his car in Miami years later. I'd always assumed the song in question was actually "Marilyn Rovell", recorded by Brian in '76 during the New Album era, and that Kirkpatrick was just misremembering the lyrical hook and title...but now I'm not so sure...
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 01, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »

Based on the titles, I would tend to think so...however, seeing the title "Mary Honey" makes me wonder, as Chuck "Crane" Kirkpatrick recalled that Brian played him his demo of a tune with that same name following the "Shortenin' Bread" session at Brother (January '78). Brian even had Earle run off a cassette dub for Kirkpatrick, but it was later stolen from his car in Miami years later. I'd always assumed the song in question was actually "Marilyn Rovell", recorded by Brian in '76 during the New Album era, and that Kirkpatrick was just misremembering the lyrical hook and title...but now I'm not so sure...

Craig, between the three of us, we can obtain the answer, and more information surrounding the song, and print a follow up in ESQ.   I have an email out to Gary Griffin for clarification.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:26:51 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 02, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »

I agree the new issue was great!  I think that the last four or five issues of ESQ have been some of the best ever. 
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 01, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »

The Spring 2016 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly will be going to press VERY soon.  

Contents:
Interviews with Brian Wilson, Melinda Wilson and Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen for Campaign To Change Direction.

An exclusive look at the making of the Wrecking Crew for the "Love & Mercy" film; including interviews with Johnny Sneed (Hal Blaine), Gary Griffin (Al De Lory), Teresa Cowles (Carol Kaye), Jim Laspesa and others.

Rare behind-the-scenes (on set) photos are included.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:22:40 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »

The Spring 2016 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly will be going to press VERY soon. 

Contents:
Interviews with Brian Wilson, Melinda Wilson and Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen for Campaign To Change Direction.

An exclusive look at the making of the Wrecking Crew for the "Love & Mercy" film; including interviews with Johnny Sneed (Hal Blaine), Gary Griffin (Al De Lory), Teresa Cowles (Carol Kaye), Jim Laspesa and others.

Sound great David, will be nice to have some good background material to accompany the Blu-ray.

What's the likelihood of you interviewing Rocky Pamplin about his forthcoming NYT best-seller dishing the dirt on his five minutes in the presence of the Beach Boys? (Please tell me the chances are slim!!!!!)

“We live in divisive times.”
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2016, 11:47:01 PM »

Contents:

Sound great David, will be nice to have some good background material to accompany the Blu-ray.

What's the likelihood of you interviewing Rocky Pamplin about his forthcoming NYT best-seller dishing the dirt on his five minutes in the presence of the Beach Boys? (Please tell me the chances are slim!!!!!)

ESQ has never had an interest in "the dirt."  We know it, but we don't go down that road. The music, and anything any one of the members is promoting is our focus.  Albums, tours, causes, etc.

Pet Sounds 50!
50 Years Of Good Vibrations!

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 26, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »

Just in case anyone is unaware of what ESQ is doing …
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10154413706937487/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:50:01 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »

The Summer 2016 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly [ESQ] celebrates The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Pet Sounds box set. Brand new exclusive interviews with Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston

Previously untold details about: The Beach Boy's first tour of Japan, details of The Pet Sounds Sessions, a track by track breakdown of Pet Sounds, and Archival comments from Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson and Dennis Wilson.

Plus, Lee Dempsey reviews the MONO versions of Pet Sounds from the last 50 years to point you in the right direction to hear the best possible version available.
http://esquarterly.com/buy-ESQ.html#summer2016
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »

This information should be live on the ESQ site by next Monday.

The Fall 2016 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly [ESQ] celebrates The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary of “Good Vibrations” with the release of the 12” commemorative vinyl. Exclusive interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston, as well as Hal Blaine and Don Randi of The Wrecking Crew are included.  

Previously untold details about The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and “Good Vibrations” sessions from Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Hal and Don are included.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:53:46 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »

The Fall 2016 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly [ESQ] celebrates The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary of “Good Vibrations” with the release of the 12” commemorative vinyl. Exclusive interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston, as well as Hal Blaine and Don Randi of The Wrecking Crew are included.  

Previously untold details about The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and “Good Vibrations” sessions from Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Hal and Don are included.

Here's the link: http://esquarterly.com/buy-ESQ.html#fall2016
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »

ESQ has been drawing name after name for our giveaways, and there are more to come!

https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10154587168582487/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10154574990607487/?type=3&theater

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx