gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:51:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85524 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »

David, this is not meant to be a slight on Peter Reum whose writing I've admired since reading his liner notes to The Beach Boys Capitol Years box set, but I was surprised to read that many of the musicians that played on “Then He Kissed Me” played on The Beach Boys' “Then I Kissed Her.” Your editorial intervention would have been welcomed.

Otherwise, another fine issue.

Sounds like a great opportunity as a Letter To The Editor.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »

This post from Ed Roach got NO replies.  Is there no one here who still receives ESQ?

Honored Guest

SUMMER DAYS (AND SUMMER NIGHTS!!) in new ESQ
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
Interesting and timely summer edition of ESQ just arrived, focusing on the "SUMMER DAYS" album, as well as the new vinyl pressings from Analogue Productions.  Some great photos once again, and looking forward to reading all of  these articles.  Also curious to hear what anyone else that gets it thinks about the issue.

I've just ordered this and another couple of back issues.  I will also be signing up for a subscription to the magazine.  I don't know why I haven't done it before now! I'm looking forward to the Analogue Productions reviews, even though I have already bought pretty much of all them!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 06, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

My copy arrived today!  Happy Dance
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

This is for anyone who has ever subscribed to ESQ.

After watching "Love & Mercy," it had me thinking about all the music created by Brian between the gaps in the film; 1969-1986 and 1988-present.

Here's a list of what's being considered for the next two editions.

•  No Pier Pressure
•  Brian Wilson-1988 solo album
•  Paley/Wilson sessions (1980's, 90's and 2000's)
•  I Just Wasn't Made For These Times documentary — 20 year anniversary
•  Adult Child

Thoughts?  Additions?  What is it about Brian's musical output that fascinates you, and how would you like it to be presented in ESQ?

ESQ has already covered Love You, Orange Crate Art,  Imagination, BW Presents Smile, That Lucky Old Sun, Reimagines Gershwin and Key Of Disney.

In Music,
David
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »

Love the thought of the Adult Child article - has there been a Spring article?

What about the Hawaii trip in '67? The run of shows in the 70's where Brian took Mike's place?

The Bedroom demos from the 70's?

just throwing ideas about...  Smiley

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »

What about the Hawaii trip in '67? The run of shows in the 70's where Brian took Mike's place?

just throwing ideas about...  Smiley

Thanks Zander.  Brian Chidester has written several articles about the Bedroom demos, and those are online.  The Hawaii trip is intriguing, and I'll begin to explore the possibilities (information available, etc).  If everything comes together, there's a good chance it could appear in a 2016 edition of ESQ.  

In Music,
David

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:01:13 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »

Thanks Zander.  Brian Chidester has written several articles about the Bedroom demos, and those are online.  The Hawaii trip is intriguing, and I'll begin to explore the possibilities (information available, etc).  If everything comes together, there's a good chance it could appear in a 2016 edition of ESQ.  

In Music,
David

An interview with Bill Halverson would be interesting also.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »

In Music,
David

An interview with Bill Halverson would be interesting also.

Haverson is a great idea!

In Music,
David
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »

This is for anyone who has ever subscribed to ESQ.

After watching "Love & Mercy," it had me thinking about all the music created by Brian between the gaps in the film; 1969-1986 and 1988-present.

Here's a list of what's being considered for the next two editions.

•  No Pier Pressure
•  Brian Wilson-1988 solo album
•  Paley/Wilson sessions (1980's, 90's and 2000's)
•  I Just Wasn't Made For These Times documentary — 20 year anniversary
•  Adult Child

Thoughts?  Additions?  What is it about Brian's musical output that fascinates you, and how would you like it to be presented in ESQ?

ESQ has already covered Love You, Orange Crate Art,  Imagination, BW Presents Smile, That Lucky Old Sun, Reimagines Gershwin and Key Of Disney.

In Music,
David

Any NEW information on unreleased projects like Adult Child and Paley sessions is always interesting to me.  For instance, what did Mike and Al think when they heard AC, and what is their take on how it went down with Reprise?  What are Brian's memories of those tracks?

If Brian really opened up about the BW88 album and how Landy "worked with" Brian, that would be fascinating, but I don't see that happening.

I'm also interested to  hear more about the genesis of No Pier Pressure; where the individual songs originated, how they were composed and finished.  Were a lot of them basically pieced together from 1998 tapes, then lyrics written?  Who wrote what?

And one thing that I think is shortchanged in nearly all music journalism:  more about the writing process.  For instance, how were the songs written?  How did the song originate?  Who wrote what?  Did you get stuck and when did you come back to it, how did you go about finishing it, did you end up rewriting a lot of it? Was there a particular challenge in finishing it, or a certain part you came up with that you realized made the song?  Did you have an arrangement idea in your head as you wrote it, or did that come later?  I would love a detailed interview about BB songs like Lennon's song-by-song 1980 interviews.  We've heard all the pat answers about "God Only Knows," "Good Vibrations," etc.  What about songs like "Time to Get Alone" or "This Whole World" or "You Need a Mess of Help"?  Again, the problem is Brian probably won't give a lot of detail, and Carl is gone.

And I will suggest once again a lengthy dissertation on "Can't Wait Too Long" (preferably as part of a "CWTL Sessions" release containing the ultimate completed version).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2015, 11:29:31 PM »

I'd love to from Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett and Paul von Mertens about the realities of working with Brian - writing, arranging, producing etc. how much of a hand does Brian have in the process? How has that changed down the years?

On the one hand, in a recent interview he intimated that he finds the creative process very difficult these days, that he essentially sits at his piano and finds himself writing California Girls over again and again.

On the other hand, he strikes me as healthier, with it and more relaxed today than he's been for a number of decades. Has that brought with it a more creative and involved Brian?

Similar questions could be put to other collaborators from recent years (recent by our way of thinking) - Andy Paley, Van Dyke Parks, even Tony Asher… those last two particularly could offer insight as to how working with the Brian of today/recent times compares to working with Brian at his peak.

Such a piece would be incomplete of course without opinion Brian himself - he strikes me as utterly honest and I reckon he wouldn't hesitate to offer his own comment on the writing process as it has been for him down the years.

“We live in divisive times.”
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure Brian's ultimate Q&A will be in his book.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »

I don't think that should hold you back - the book's been put back a year already; might be put off again, or even cancelled! It'd be the norm for BBLand after all!

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »

Point is, Brian is unavailable right now.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »

and based on your recent Examiner articles, is likely to remain that way

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »

I would love for you to interview Howie Edelson.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »

What about Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett, Paul von Mertens, Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher and especially Andy Paley? Brian's input could always wait until he is available?

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »

Thanks John…Pretty sure you're going to be happy with the upcoming editions.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »

I think that this is a very good idea David.  Survey the scene.  Use some suggestions if they make sense to you.  And ignore the insults.  We discussed all THAT ... THEN.  THIS...the fact finding mission...if you will...is a response to previous observations, complaints and input.

Good for you. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:37:02 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »

I would so love to believe that, but on purely logical grounds I have to strongly doubt it. Consider: the 1991 book, which covered (most unevenly) 49 years was about 400 pages, but this new version has to deal with an additional 24 years in, likely, the same page count. Further, I sincerely hope the new collaborator will refrain from plagiarizing the work of others, which means original interviews. Then there's Brian. Granted he's not being medicated to the brink of the grave any more, and granted there's no obvious agenda this time round, but unless he really engages with the interviewer, he's a leading candidate for the title "World's Worst Interviewee". I've a fine idea as to who should conduct the basic interviews: Ray.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »

Thanks John…Pretty sure you're going to be happy with the upcoming editions.

David, I always enjoy ESQ.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »

Someone needs to do extensive interviews with all parties with the understanding that the book won't be published until after BW's death. Not to be morbid, but that's the best way to get the unvarnished truth without stepping on too many toes. Nothing authorized while the guys are still active has a prayer of being more than a gussied-up press release.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:33:36 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 04, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »

I'd love to from Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett and Paul von Mertens about the realities of working with Brian - writing, arranging, producing etc. how much of a hand does Brian have in the process? How has that changed down the years?

ESQ has done a bunch of pieces like this in recent years -- a nice piece on the making of the Gershwin album, for example. Joe Thomas has talked extensively, as has Scott.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2015, 03:03:43 AM »

ESQ has done a bunch of pieces like this in recent years -- a nice piece on the making of the Gershwin album, for example. Joe Thomas has talked extensively, as has Scott.

Agree - but I'd love to read an analysis of how Brian's writing process has changed down the years, whether his input has diminished or increased, or simply modified. Whether he's still got writer's block (NPP might suggest otherwise) or whether he's creating liberally; whether he's holding back, or dipping into his wealth of unreleased compositions for inspiration.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »

Agree - but I'd love to read an analysis of how Brian's writing process has changed down the years, whether his input has diminished or increased, or simply modified. Whether he's still got writer's block (NPP might suggest otherwise) or whether he's creating liberally; whether he's holding back, or dipping into his wealth of unreleased compositions for inspiration.

Brian's decade-long writing block ended with That Lucky Old Sun. He may have had a newish melody or two on Gettin' In Over My Head, but most of that stuff was recycled, whereas the opposite was true with Sun. On That's Why God Made The Radio, it was more-or-less half-and-half, and I think most of No Pier Pressure is newish.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

So his recent "California Girls rewrite" comment is a Brianism?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx