gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:34:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 86102 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2015, 05:23:56 AM »

I usually don't like making alternative tracklists but with L.A. Light it's very tempting. Personally I think the inclusion of California Feelin' would've made all the difference! The album is still a personal favorite of mine even the way it came out in 1979. IIRC I once read a Brian interview from the time around his 1st solo record where he said everyone in the group was really disappointed when the Light Album didn't take off commercially, since they had worked really hard on it. Good Timin' is one of my favorite songs of his, on par with the older classics. Dennis' singing strikes me as incredibly soulful on this album. Would love to read more about the making of this record and the way the group members feel about it today!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2015, 06:16:12 AM »

LA's just about where I came in. While I owned plenty of albums by then, LA was the first time I consciously bought a new-release album. Loved it all bar Shortening Bread, which is rough and a hard listen. Yup, even thought Here Comes the Night was a blast, and pissed on most other disco sh*t. Many press reports stated Wild Honey was also discofied and I spent time a-searching… guess they meant HCTN was originally a WH track.

Anyways, look forward to the special edition.

“We live in divisive times.”
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »

This is great news.  I LOVE the LA album. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »

We're almost there.  The entire Spring 2015 edition of ESQ is devoted to L.A. (Light Album).  Interviews with Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey Cushing-Murray, Carli Muñoz, Bobby Figueroa, Ron Altbach and Sterling Smith are featured.

Sparse commentary from Al, Bruce and Brian is included.   Track by track breakdown from the late Carl Wilson.

While spending the last two months working on the issue, and discovering more about the recordings being worked on in 1978, I came up with a different album.  It is surprisingly strong, contemporary and relevant.  

SIDE ONE
Brian’s Back (Endless Harmony or MIC version)
California Feelin’ (MIC box)
Good Timin’
Santa Ana Winds ("From my porch, thinkin' about the torch…" version)
Constant Companion *wait until you read the interview with Carli Muñoz
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South

Great track list - I would've stuck Lookin' Down the Coast in there somewhere
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »

I'm looking forward to this issue with great anticipation.  Will there be interviews with James Guercio and Bruce Johnston, as they were the architects of the album (along with Carl)?
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »

I'm looking forward to this issue with great anticipation.  Will there be interviews with James Guercio and Bruce Johnston, as they were the architects of the album (along with Carl)?

Only those listed.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

I usually don't like making alternative tracklists but with L.A. Light it's very tempting. Personally I think the inclusion of California Feelin' would've made all the difference! The album is still a personal favorite of mine even the way it came out in 1979. IIRC I once read a Brian interview from the time around his 1st solo record where he said everyone in the group was really disappointed when the Light Album didn't take off commercially, since they had worked really hard on it. Good Timin' is one of my favorite songs of his, on par with the older classics. Dennis' singing strikes me as incredibly soulful on this album. Would love to read more about the making of this record and the way the group members feel about it today!

More fiddling around… try this.  Burn the CD, and listen to it in the car (best place for me).

SIDE ONE
Brian’s Back (Endless Harmony version)
Good Timin’
Constant Companion (Bambu version… start track at 0:02)
Santa Ana Winds ("From my porch, thikin' 'bout the torch…" version) <— use KTSA version if you don't have this.
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

Does the magazine ship to Canada?
Zeppo

Make waves, not love
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

Does the magazine ship to Canada?
Zeppo

of course…

http://esquarterly.com/order.html#4subscript
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »

More fiddling around… try this.  Burn the CD, and listen to it in the car (best place for me).

SIDE ONE
Good Timin’
Santa Ana Winds ("From my porch, thikin' 'bout the torch…" version) <— use KTSA version if you don't have this.
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South

Replace Goin' South with Lookin' Down the Coast, and I'm there ^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »

SIDE ONE
Good Timin’
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South

Replace Goin' South with Lookin' Down the Coast, and I'm there ^_^

Al was still working on LDTC at the time of release.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »

Wasn't Do You Like Worms also considered for L.A. at some point? That would have been interesting.  Cool

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »

Who has had the chance to read Issue #109?

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:45 PM »

Who has had the chance to read Issue #109?

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, as it just arrived in the mail today, but, as always, I'm totally looking forward to enjoying the content.  The only downside I can see is the black and white cover - it makes the mag look cheaper and much less professionally done than it does with it's normal full color cover.  If this was a cost cutting measure, I'd recommend against it in the future.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »

I take responsibility for the decision for ESQ to run a black and white cover this issue.  To be blunt, ESQ lost a significant amount of money last year.  Subscriptions are down, advertising is down, and printing and postage costs are up.  When ESQ loses money David and I have to make up the difference out of our own pockets.  I love ESQ -- but not enough to subsidize it out of my own personal wallet.  So I made the decision for ESQ to produce a couple of issues at minimum cost, so that we can regain our financial footing.  We knew that there would be some negative feedback, but the alternatives were to 1) raise subscription rates, or 2) shut the magazine down.

If we can find an advertiser willing to take out a color back cover ad, then we can run full-color on the front color, since they are both run at the same time.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:40:56 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »

Lee...Totally sympathetic re such agonistes.   Here's hoping things improve.  I remember taking a bath
when I ran that ASM scratch-n-sniff cover (some Portuguese perfume that Diane R. liked).  Big outlay,
little result.  Please hang in there! 
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »

I take responsibility for the decision for ESQ to run a black and white cover this issue.  To be blunt, ESQ lost a significant amount of money last year.  Subscriptions are down, advertising is down, and printing and postage costs are up.  When ESQ loses money David and I have to make up the difference out of our own pockets.  I love ESQ -- but not enough to subsidize it out of my own personal wallet.  So I made the decision for ESQ to produce a couple of issues at minimum cost, so that we can regain our financial footing.  We knew that there would be some negative feedback, but the alternatives were to 1) raise subscription rates, or 2) shut the magazine down.

If we can find an advertiser willing to take out a color back cover ad, then we can run full-color on the front color, since they are both run at the same time.

Lee

Sorry to hear that subscriptions are down.  I love reading ESQ and hope that it continues publication for many years into the future. 

If you feel you really must run a b&W cover, I’d suggest going to a non-glossy heavy stock cover as ESQ did in its earliest days, with simpler black and white artwork.  David’s cover for issue 109 is really well done, but when seen in b&w on glossy paper it just seems to be screaming out for color. 

Do David's BB Examiner articles generate any significant revenue for ESQ through ad clicks?  Or through publicity for the mag?  If not, it might be wise to discontinue the features.  Disregarding the recent controversies that have ensued following the publication of a couple of BB Examiner articles, offering such articles as freebees may give the erroneous impression that one need not subscribe to the mag since there is content by David available for free via BB Examiner.  Your facebook page seems like a good PR mechanism for ESQ, but I’m not sure the BB Examiner articles fulfill that mission.

As I’ve said before, I regard Endless Summer Quarterly to be an essential component of my appreciation, understanding, and enjoyment of the music of the Beach Boys.  As always, I’m looking forward to reading the current issue.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »

David's opinions in his Examiner articles are his own personal opinions, and are in no way affiliated with ESQ nor do they reflect the opinion of Endless Summer Quarterly, Inc.  Think of Examiner as a totally separate venue for David's more opinion-based writing, whereas the goal of ESQ is to remain relatively neutral to all camps.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:56:48 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2015, 06:42:18 PM »

David's opinions in his Examiner articles are his own personal opinions, and are in no way affiliated with ESQ nor do they reflect the opinion of Endless Summer Quarterly, Inc.  Think of Examiner as a totally separate venue for David's more opinion-based writing, whereas the goal of ESQ is to remain relatively neutral to all camps.

Lee

Interesting, but I've gotta say I wouldn't have had a clue concerning the above info when clicking on "Read Bio", which appears under David's name and photo on all of his BB Examiner articles, as the bio starts off by advising readers that "David Beard is the editor and publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly the world’s leading Beach Boys fanzine. He has published ESQ for 15 years and has been involved with the publication since August 1993. ..."

That being said, I don't mean to be nit picking, as I love the mag and appreciate all the time and effort David, you, and everyone else involved puts into making each issue of ESQ happen.  Today I've been enjoying the interviews, comments, photos, and Craig's detailed sessionography for the LA Light Album, although as a long time fan it's hard for me to believe that album was released 36 years ago this month.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »

I don't think it's that unusual in the media business; take for instance Anderson Cooper.  He is employed by both CNN and CBS' 60 Minutes.  His bio lists both.  The opinions he expresses on CNN do not necessarily reflect the opinion of CBS/60 Minutes, and vice-versa.

Regarding the Spring 2015 cover, for those subscribers that would like to have a color cover, on our Facebook page David has provided a link to a downloadable full-color version of the cover that can be printed out.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:41:41 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2015, 08:00:17 AM »

Just received and read my LA issue of ESQ this weekend and was in heaven.  I love that album and it was fantastic getting a behind the scenes peek at the making of.  Thanks again ESQ!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:30:15 PM by job » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »

Just received and read my LA issue of ESQ this weekend and was in heaven.  I love that album and it was fantastic getting a behind the scenes peak at the making of.  Thanks again ESQ!!!

ESQ is a true labor of love.  Glad you enjoyed it.
Here's the link for the full color cover— https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/pcb.10153135449667487/10153135447442487/?type=1&theater
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »

This post from Ed Roach got NO replies.  Is there no one here who still receives ESQ?

Honored Guest

SUMMER DAYS (AND SUMMER NIGHTS!!) in new ESQ
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
Interesting and timely summer edition of ESQ just arrived, focusing on the "SUMMER DAYS" album, as well as the new vinyl pressings from Analogue Productions.  Some great photos once again, and looking forward to reading all of  these articles.  Also curious to hear what anyone else that gets it thinks about the issue.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »

I haven't received the newest ESQ yet....
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

David, this is not meant to be a slight on Peter Reum whose writing I've admired since reading his liner notes to The Beach Boys Capitol Years box set, but I was surprised to read that many of the musicians that played on “Then He Kissed Me” played on The Beach Boys' “Then I Kissed Her.” Your editorial intervention would have been welcomed.

Otherwise, another fine issue.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx