gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:41:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85926 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »

Thoughts on issue #108 (Christmas issue) and what you want to see in 2015?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

David,

Enjoyed most of the latest issue, although I was disappointed to see one-third of it devoted to a reprint of the "Keep An Eye On Summer - The Beach Boys sessions 1964" online liner notes. I would have much rather read an interview with Alan Boyd and/or Mark Linett about the process of bringing this project to fruition.

In 2015, I'd like to see the Endless Sky DVD series resurrected.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »

LOL  I actually liked having the session notes in print!

A nice touch to bookend the year's 1964 50th anniversary recollections with the Christmas album - I feel an obscure affinity with this record; A seasonal offering recorded in US Summer time and listened to my me in the midst of the Australian Summer, where the only icicles are (hopefully/preferably) hanging off the bottom of your beer can (or glass of white, for the ladies).

There was so much great stuff in the current edition, it's taken me sometime to waltz through - Messrs Boyd and Linnet's track notes and Craig Slowinski's sessionography (plus Craig's tantilizing indication that the MIC sessionography will be coming out in book form at some stage), the fascinating story about Carl and Myrna Smith's Elvis song, great stuff.

I must also mention that I found both Gayle (126th concert  Shocked) and Heather's stories about their night at the Mike'n'Bruce show in Hamlet, NJ, a lovely little read and sounds like they had a great time and have some memories to cherish for many years.

Anyway, happy new year to you and Lee - looks like another big year in BB world with the ongoing Analogue productions reissues, the next tranche of UME vinyl reissues as well as the great man's new CD just around the corner.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »

David,

Enjoyed most of the latest issue, although I was disappointed to see one-third of it devoted to a reprint of the "Keep An Eye On Summer - The Beach Boys sessions 1964" online liner notes. I would have much rather read an interview with Alan Boyd and/or Mark Linett about the process of bringing this project to fruition.

See, this is what ESQ needs to do and not do. Any information (and more) that I can get for free, I'll read this board. Duplication in a fanzine is disappointing and I'm sure hard to avoid. But.......if at all possible avoid duplication and get the good insider interviews (for example the guys who compiled and engineered TSS and MIC. Those two issues alone would cause me to be a new subscriber immediately.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »

David,

See, this is what ESQ needs to do and not do. Any information (and more) that I can get for free, I'll read this board. Duplication in a fanzine is disappointing and I'm sure hard to avoid. But.......if at all possible avoid duplication and get the good insider interviews (for example the guys who compiled and engineered TSS and MIC. Those two issues alone would cause me to be a new subscriber immediately.

The Winter 2013 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly was exactly that: interviews with Alan and Mark (as well as Mike Love) about the MIC box set.  Those interviews had many insights.  And the Smile Sessions issue was replete with insights too.

As a collector, I like having a physical book and / or releases with books, etc., so that was the drive behind having the liner notes (in print).  I burned the new digital releases to CD, play them on my CD player, and read the new issue.  I don't glean as much enjoyment off of listening to music on my computer, and reading about it online.  The "old school" approach was utilized, and I acquired permission to print those notes for people like me, because I believe that most of those on this board are collectors.  Just because the Internet offers stuff for free, doesn't mean the real "meat and value" to something can't be in physical print.  In the case of ESQ, it is.

I truly hope those on this board aren't losing their sense of collectables, and the essence of the excitement that accompanies a new Beach Boys' release.  Each time there is a new Beach Boys' release I'm ready to listen, and it's with good reason… The Beach Boys are worth my time; the music deserves it.  The sessions on Keep An Eye On Summer are a fantastic fly-on-the-wall listening experience, so I stand by the decision to have a professionally laid-out booklet to accompany those sessions; it makes for a more enjoyable experience.

As for duplication:  Where else, in a professional layout, do the notes appear?  If one person buys a new LP or CD with liner notes, and it's a good collection, that doesn't prevent the next person from buying the same release.  At the end of the day, everyone has the same thing. 

Each edition of ESQ offers rare pictures, all kinds of insight, and forwards the conversation on The Beach Boys in ways that trolling a message board never will.  The in-depth interviews conducted with Mike, Al and Brian that appear in ESQ are invaluable. 

The only way you know that is by subscribing.  You, the fan, has to decide if The Beach Boys are worth it.

Back to the music.
David
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:18:40 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »

As for duplication:  Where else, in a professional layout, do the notes appear?  If one person buys a new LP or CD with liner notes, and it's a good collection, that doesn't prevent the next person from buying the same release.  At the end of the day, everyone has the same thing. 

I continue to subscribe to ESQ because I enjoy reading/seeing content unique to the fanzine. To me, the reprint of the liner notes, which one can copy/paste into an open-source word processor and print double-sided, doesn't meet this criterion.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »

David,

I doubt that too many of us over 50 are fretting over having you do the word-processing for us. Like you, I like having hard copy reference. Thanks for providing it!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »

From the moment that the two releases hit iTunes for release, I was unsure about the decision.  The main reason I like them in ESQ is because they work really well with the Shut Down Volume 2, All Summer Long, Concert and Christmas Album Q&A's that were presented throughout 2014 in ESQ.

Right now, planning on these topics:
The Beach Boys Today!
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!!)
Beach Boys' Party!
"Little Girl I Once Knew" single

L.A. (light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys 1985 LP
and maybe…
Summer In Paradise

Every recording has a story.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:16:19 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Obviously you could have gone either way, please some here, some there.
I wonder if you could have printed the notes as a separate section from the full issue; maybe that would have made it easier to read them without having the full issue each  time

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »

Obviously you could have gone either way, please some here, some there.
I wonder if you could have printed the notes as a separate section from the full issue; maybe that would have made it easier to read them without having the full issue each  time

The biggest challenge was not making the text too small.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »

The Beach Boys Today!
Beach Boys' Party!

L.A. (light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys 1985 LP
and maybe…
Summer In Paradise

I like these detailed song-by-song insights and behind-the-scenes memories from the principals...good job.  I would like to hear more about the writing process for individual songs.  I do like having the printed liner notes for "KAEOS."  What I would love is even more conversation with Alan and Mark about what's in the vaults, some of their experiences tracking down and obtaining missing tapes, what unreleased material is believed to exist in collectors' hands and how the heck we can get at it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »

The Beach Boys Today!
Beach Boys' Party!

L.A. (light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys 1985 LP
and maybe…
Summer In Paradise

What I would love is even more conversation with Alan and Mark about what's in the vaults, some of their experiences tracking down and obtaining missing tapes, what unreleased material is believed to exist in collectors' hands and how the heck we can get at it.

YES, Getting these ideas into ESQ would tempt me to but those issues

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »

The Beach Boys Today!
Beach Boys' Party!

L.A. (light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys 1985 LP
and maybe…
Summer In Paradise

What I would love is even more conversation with Alan and Mark about what's in the vaults, some of their experiences tracking down and obtaining missing tapes, what unreleased material is believed to exist in collectors' hands and how the heck we can get at it.

Bgas, the topics I've proposed, or the continuing Q&As with Mark and Alan…or both.  What do you want to see Bgas?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »

The Winter 2013 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly was exactly that: interviews with Alan and Mark (as well as Mike Love) about the MIC box set.  Those interviews had many insights.  And the Smile Sessions issue was replete with insights too.

And if I were a subscriber, I would have known that!  Smiley  This is one of the back-issues I will need to order. This is an example of the meat and potatoes I'm referring to - information that isn't available anywhere else. So Mark and Alan talked about MIC and it would be great to interview them with every archive release, past and present. We're getting further away from TSS now, and memories are starting to laps, but it's still not too late for an interview. The Smile-o-Philes are still running rampant on this board, so interest is still there and some questions may still be answered in an interview with the three men responsible for the compilation. Soliciting pertinent questions should start on the Smiley board and existing subscribers.

My check for a new subscription is in the mail.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:36:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »

The Beach Boys Today!
Beach Boys' Party!

L.A. (light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys 1985 LP
and maybe…
Summer In Paradise

Bgas, the topics I've proposed, or the continuing Q&As with Mark and Alan…or both.  What do you want to see Bgas?

Obviously , different strokes for different folks... 
I'd be more interested in the Q&A first, then the in-depth  studies of Today, SDs and Party. Can't remember if you've previously done the same for the later 60s LPs, but if not those too.
My personal strain tends to lose interest with the 2nd half of your proposals, but I'm certain there are just as many folks that might rather see those first. 

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »

The Winter 2013 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly was exactly that: interviews with Alan and Mark (as well as Mike Love) about the MIC box set.  Those interviews had many insights.  And the Smile Sessions issue was replete with insights too.

And if I were a subscriber, I would have known that!  Smiley  This is one of the back-issues I will need to order. This is an example of the meat and potatoes I'm referring to - information that isn't available anywhere else. So Mark and Alan talked about MIC and it would be great to interview them with every archive release, past and present. We're getting further away from TSS now, and memories are starting to laps, but it's still not too late for an interview. The Smile-o-Philes are still running rampant on this board, so interest is still there and some questions may still be answered in an interview with the three men responsible for the compilation. Soliciting pertinent questions should start on the Smiley board.

this thread is all about soliciting ideas, questions, etc.

I would love to have questions from subscribers and anybody else who wants to chime in…with the understanding — if used — those questions will be appearing exclusively in ESQ. 

Is $30 U.S. really that much to ask every one to pony up for one year, and then become a part of the conversation?  I want ALL involved… I'll listen to what you have to say in private emails, as well as here in this thread.  ESQ exists for the fans, which in this case, is all of us.

I'm not sure who knows this about me, but "Cabin Essence" is, and forever will be, my favorite Beach Boys' recording.  Next…"Little Girl I Once Knew."  When I first discovered Smile, thanks to Lee Dempsey back in 1989, I literally spent months in front of the entertainment system listening to the audio discoveries pouring out of those bootlegged sessions.  Smile remains my favorite BB album to this day.

Thanks to Smile, I connected with, and understood the tragic beauty of The Beach Boys sound, and fell in love with the music.  So take out a subscription of ESQ for one year, and be a part of the conversation.  What does that mean?  Anything.  Write an article, send a letter to the editor (me), send questions for me to ask Alan Boyd, Mark Linett, Mike, Al Brian and David.  I just emailed Bruce a lengthy Q&A, so — for now — you'll have to follow him on the Beach Boys Britain Message Board. 

And, be sure and hold me to it.  You have my word that I will do my due diligence to connect the conversations in ESQ.  If I don't meet your wishes?  Contact me here, but understand that I get it…I don't need to be told how I've come up short.  I'm about helping you read a satisfying publication.  I know I won't make everyone happy, but I will put forth 100% an effort to provide really great content.  That's what each and every issue is about for me, but I want everyone else to feel that connection too.

We are all fans, and I personally think every opinion on this thread matters, when the conversation is about the music.  I'm 100% behind you, if you're 100% behind The Beach Boys and ESQ.

That's a promise that I'm putting here in writing.

I'll share one example with you.

The Spring 2015 edition, in part, has L.A. (Light Album) Q&A with: Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey-Cushing Murray, (possibly) Sterling Smith and the late Carl Wilson's track by track form a May 1980 KHJ, Los Angeles, CA radio show (that's currently on Soundcloud).  I want Carl Wilson to have a voice in the discussion so I acquired permission to transcribe the Q&A.  Exclusive?  No.  Important?  Yes.  Carl's Q&A doesn't take up a third of the issue, and it really feels right as a part of the conversation about that period.

Well, who's in?
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »

I'm staying in!

I also hope there will be a nice spread on No Pier Pressure when it comes out.  ESQ in the past has had some excellent interviews with Joe Thomas in which he goes into detail about who writes what.  Brian is usually less informative, but of course I want to hear what he has to say.  And personally I am always hungry for any previously unknown scrap of information about Smile, from any reliable source!

The later BB albums are of interest but lower priority for me as well.  And I know 2016 requires the obligatory Pet Sounds 50th anniversary issue, but that album has pretty much been done to death...while the 1967-1970 period is way under-reported.   Heck, I'd love an issue dedicated to "Love to Say Dada" and "Can't Wait Too Long"!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:05:33 PM by Les P » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »

The Spring 2015 edition, in part, has L.A. (Light Album) Q&A with: Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey-Cushing Murray, (possibly) Sterling Smith and the late Carl Wilson's track by track form a May 1980 KHJ, Los Angeles, CA radio show (that's currently on Soundcloud).  I want Carl Wilson to have a voice in the discussion so I acquired permission to transcribe the Q&A.  Exclusive?  No.  Important?  Yes.  Carl's Q&A doesn't take up a third of the issue, and it really feels right as a part of the conversation about that period.

Well, who's in?

Actually, I've really been looking forward to an issue dedicated to L.A. (Light Album). It is, in my opinion, the last truly "good" Beach Boys until That's Why God Made The Radio. And if this feature in this next issue is pretty substantial, then I'm thinking it's pretty possible I would like to own a copy. However, I do wish it would be possible to get Brian's feelings about the album or at least the material he contributed ("Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread") and also the outtakes that he worked on ("California Feelin'", "Calendar Girl"). Also Mike's opinion would be interesting, if only because this was a more Carl/Dennis type album, in between two more "Mike" albums (MIU and KTSA). Lastly, I'd think it'd be interesting to hear Bruce's take, seeing as he was a producer of the album, and also get some input on "Here Comes the Night", why certain older unreleased tracks were considered and later dumped ("Do You Like Worms" and "Can't Wait Too Long" I think) and importantly why "California Feelin'" was a "heavy no" or however he put it.

So anyways, I'm very interested in as much L.A. stuff as you'd be willing to stuff into an issue.

I also know you're interested in him quite a bit, so maybe a look at Jan Berry's recordings from the early '70s through Port to Paradise? I think that might be interesting.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2015, 11:29:59 PM »

And I know 2016 requires the obligatory Pet Sounds 50th anniversary issue, but that album has pretty much been done to death...while the 1967-1970 period is way under-reported.

This is very true. I would like to see this corrected somehow. And let me extend the range into 1973. Easier said than done, but if we could just emphasize and investigate and report the years 1967-1973, it would help to fill a big gap in the Beach Boys knowledge database. We just don't know enough about the writing and recording of these albums. Having Steve Desper's recollections is a big help, but not having Carl Wilson around for his recollections absolutely does not make things any easier for historians and writers, as he was essentially the leader of the band during that period.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »

We're almost there.  The entire Spring 2015 edition of ESQ is devoted to L.A. (Light Album).  Interviews with Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey Cushing-Murray, Carli Muñoz, Bobby Figueroa, Ron Altbach and Sterling Smith are featured.

Sparse commentary from Al, Bruce and Brian is included.   Track by track breakdown from the late Carl Wilson.

While spending the last two months working on the issue, and discovering more about the recordings being worked on in 1978, I came up with a different album.  It is surprisingly strong, contemporary and relevant.  

SIDE ONE
Brian’s Back (Endless Harmony or MIC version)
California Feelin’ (MIC box)
Good Timin’
Santa Ana Winds ("From my porch, thinkin' about the torch…" version)
Constant Companion *wait until you read the interview with Carli Muñoz
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:16:52 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »

Don't have time to read the whole thread, just wanted to say your best issue in memory was the one that provided extensive information on the Wilsons' Hawthorne neighborhood.  Incredible research and new insights.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »

Don't have time to read the whole thread, just wanted to say your best issue in memory was the one that provided extensive information on the Wilsons' Hawthorne neighborhood.  Incredible research and new insights.

Thanks! 

That was so much fun to put together and research.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »

We're almost there.  The entire Spring 2015 edition of ESQ is devoted to L.A. (Light Album).  Interviews with Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey Cushing-Murray, Carli Muñoz, Bobby Figueroa, Ron Altbach and Sterling Smith are featured.

Sparse commentary from Al, Bruce and Brian is included.   Track by track breakdown from the late Carl Wilson.

While spending the last two months working on the issue, and discovering more about the recordings being worked on in 1978, I came up with a different album.  It is surprisingly strong, contemporary and relevant.   

SIDE ONE
Good Timin’
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South

Very excited to hear about this David. I will be sure to order whenever this one is available.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:28:25 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »

Actually, I've really been looking forward to an issue dedicated to L.A. (Light Album). It is, in my opinion, the last truly "good" Beach Boys until That's Why God Made The Radio. And if this feature in this next issue is pretty substantial, then I'm thinking it's pretty possible I would like to own a copy. However, I do wish it would be possible to get Brian's feelings about the album or at least the material he contributed ("Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread") and also the outtakes that he worked on ("California Feelin'", "Calendar Girl"). Also Mike's opinion would be interesting, if only because this was a more Carl/Dennis type album, in between two more "Mike" albums (MIU and KTSA). Lastly, I'd think it'd be interesting to hear Bruce's take, seeing as he was a producer of the album, and also get some input on "Here Comes the Night", why certain older unreleased tracks were considered and later dumped ("Do You Like Worms" and "Can't Wait Too Long" I think) and importantly why "California Feelin'" was a "heavy no" or however he put it.

We're almost there.  The entire Spring 2015 edition of ESQ is devoted to L.A. (Light Album).  Interviews with Jerry Schilling, Ed Roach, Geoffrey Cushing-Murray, Carli Muñoz, Bobby Figueroa, Ron Altbach and Sterling Smith are featured.

Sparse commentary from Al, Bruce and Brian is included.   Track by track breakdown from the late Carl Wilson.

While spending the last two months working on the issue, and discovering more about the recordings being worked on in 1978, I came up with a different album.  It is surprisingly strong, contemporary and relevant.  

SIDE ONE
Good Timin’
Full Sail

SIDE TWO
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Sumahama
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin’ South

Very excited to hear about this David. I will be sure to order whenever this one is available.
[/quote]

Cool.  It's $30 for four issues, and $10 for one issue.  Why not subscribe in 2015?  Give us a try. 

In the meantime, I encourage you (and everyone else) to listen to the new sequence of songs.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »

Very excited about anything related to L.A. Light Album. My second favorite BB studio album, just behind Friends.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx