gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:16:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85520 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »

No one is denying his talent as a lyricist in the early days, but comparing his body of work vs his ego, things don't match up - though I'm of course not insinuating his ego would be justified by a more successful songwriting career.

For every good song he added lyrics to - and we still don't know specifically what Mike did and didn't do - he produced just as much garbage. I don't think I need to beat the dead horse on how bad Summer in Paradise, Country Love and the various other songs he's come up with (Everyone's In Love With You, Daybreak, Pisces Brothers, Sumahama, etc) are. 
Dead Horse

He should be proud of his accomplishments, but very little of what he's done past the 1962-1966 has been at all significant.
Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Holland - some great lyrics there, but is any of it significant? No.

Am I OSD for having this viewpoint? No...that's just an easy way of needling someone and trying to make them feel like their opinion is worthless. I'm not a big fan of pigeonholing posters for the things they say - DRBB, I could just as easily call you silly name that only makes sense within the context of this message board to try and bother you, sending a wink along with it, but I won't, because it's not constructive to any kind of discussion.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »

I'm finding the way this thread has devolved just fascinating.  What began as an interesting discussion about the future editorial direction of ESQ has turned into insane, adolescent-level playground argument about the contributions of two near retirement rock musicians and the possibility that each might be harboring some form of lingering mental issue at their advanced age.   Who gives a damn?  Certainly not the principals involved.  This is a perfect illustration of the phrase "little minds at work."  

It's almost as if the magazine in question was concerned with these two individuals! I can't even imagine. Why, back in my day, editors talked about such matters on a place that wasn't a thread on a public forum where they invited these 'little minds' to contribute! Peons to a man!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

Come on OSD, stop putting us on. Wink

Am I wrong?
Yes, very wrong, on so many levels. Mike's lyrics on I Get Around, Fun, Fun, Fun and The Warmth Of The Sun are just three titles where the lyrics make the song. Not to mention Good Vibrations, Big Sur and any number of other songs. The Wild Honey album has great lyrics by Mike. As for commercial, everything in a song makes the hit; arranging, hooks, lyrics, voices, instruments. You should know better than use that as your ammunition.

Well, sure the lyrics are fine, but it might be a bit much to say they make the song. They could be singing gibberish and I would still love "I Get Around". Besides, we don't even know who contributed what when it comes to lyrics. Brian may have contributed more to a song than Mike, rather than what we're always led to believe.
I've listened to just the tracks of IGA and Funx3 and will go on the record and say neither would have been hits without lyrics. Yes, and we don't know if Mike helped redo sections of songs as they were being written or recorded. What's your point? We are chasing windmills here, don't you think?

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that instrumentals would have becomes hits, I'm saying that the lyrics themselves do not make the song, like you stated above. If "I Get Around" had an entirely different set of lyrics, I would still love it.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but I think that some of those lyrics you're saying are great and attributing to Mike may be written by someone else entirely. Additionally, I doubt Mike was ever working with Brian and said something along the lines of "You know, Brian, that Gm chord ain't really doing much for this song. What if we changed that to a Abm7/B instead?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:12:02 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

And how much of the I Get Around did Mike write? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mike came up with "Round round, get around, I get around" and the rest was Brian.

Nicko1234
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »

And how much of the I Get Around did Mike write? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mike came up with "Round round, get around, I get around" and the rest was Brian.

Mike has stated that he wrote most of the lyrics. Obviously there is no way of knowing if that is the case though.

This thread has certainly fallen off a cliff anyway though. Of that we can be certain...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

Mike has stated that he wrote most of the lyrics. Obviously there is no way of knowing if that is the case though.

This thread has certainly fallen off a cliff anyway though. Of that we can be certain...
All threads lapse into a let's hate on Mike, thread.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »

I wouldn't call questioning his input 'hating on Mike' - its better to try and discuss something than needle other people  Wink

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »

I wouldn't call questioning his input 'hating on Mike' - its better to try and discuss something than needle other people  Wink
Can we please get back on topic?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
halblaineisgood
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:44:47 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

f*** my opinion.

+1

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »

I'm finding the way this thread has devolved just fascinating.  What began as an interesting discussion about the future editorial direction of ESQ has turned into insane, adolescent-level playground argument about the contributions of two near retirement rock musicians and the possibility that each might be harboring some form of lingering mental issue at their advanced age.   Who gives a damn?  Certainly not the principals involved.  This is a perfect illustration of the phrase "little minds at work."  

I'm pretty sure if I started a thread asking how to get a wine stain out of a couch, it would turn into a page about Mike vs. Brian by page 2.

How about for an issue of ESQ you have OSD and Klondike Parks sit down with Mike and Bruce for a 2 on 2 interview. I'd pay $30 to read that!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »

+1 more.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »

Well, I'm going to -1, so now you're back to just +1.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Now that Brian has not had a hit for decades he removes him from the BB lineup and puts the limelight on himself. All because he can not stand not being the number 1 person wherever he goes.

Not quite sure which is the more disturbing: that you genuinely believe the twaddle you're spouting, or that it's based on such a lamentably inadequate knowledge of the band's history. Neither Mike nor anyone else removed Brian from the band: that was in the main his own handiwork.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »

Now that Brian has not had a hit for decades he removes him from the BB lineup and puts the limelight on himself. All because he can not stand not being the number 1 person wherever he goes.

Not quite sure which is the more disturbing: that you genuinely believe the twaddle you're spouting, or that it's based on such a lamentably inadequate knowledge of the band's history. .

Such an eloquent response! Good to see you clearing things up - for the good of the board Smiley.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2014, 07:05:17 AM »

Not quite sure which is the more disturbing: that you genuinely believe the twaddle you're spouting, or that it's based on such a lamentably inadequate knowledge of the band's history. .

Such an eloquent response! Good to see you clearing things up - for the good of the board Smiley.
If you follow this board, even a little bit, you know how wrong Klondike Parks' post is to begin with. Even if it is an opinion, at least he/she could have offered an educated one. I'm with AGD on this one.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Even if it is an opinion, at least he/she could have offered an educated one. I'm with AGD on this one.

I follow this board, and I do not know how wrong Klondike Parks post is. I'm inclined to agree with him actually - what the twaddle the spouting man is spouting is not in fact twaddle, but a fair point of view!! My first instinct when reading WAS to be dismissive and rude, but I decided against that, because after thinking for just a moment, its easy to see where his point of view comes from.

Even if it is an opinion, AGD could have offered an educated one - anyone's educated opinion on the subject could not have considered Klondike Parks as a twaddle spouter!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:51:13 PM by Woodstock » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

Even if it is an opinion, at least he/she could have offered an educated one. I'm with AGD on this one.

I follow this board, and I do not know how wrong Klondike Parks post is. I'm inclined to agree with him actually - what the twaddle the spouting man is spouting is not in fact twaddle, but a fair point of view!! My first instinct when reading WAS to be dismissive and rude, but I decided against that, because after thinking for just a moment, its easy to see where his point of view comes from.

Even if it is an opinion, AGD could have offered an educated one - anyone's educated opinion on the subject could not have considered Klondike Parks as a twaddle spouter!
You know as well as I do Mike cannot push anybody out of anything, except the touring band to which he has a license and call the shots. Everything else goes through BRI. Anybody who reads this board knows that. It has been talked to death here. Also, I post here as well, and can ask that people don't post uneducated posts, at least by educated posters. Klondike has posted some 500 plus posts in here, so he is no newbie. To Beach Boys fans like us, these are facts we should all know by heart. Honestly, the way this board is going, some people intentionally post dumb sh*t just to start arguments like this.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »

OK, since you asked - and honestly, I really thought you'd know - it's twaddle because, as correctly stated, Mike cannot remove anyone from the band without being backed up by at least two other BRI votes, and because he didn't have to. Prior to 2012, the last time Brian played with the band was in 1996, and prior to that his last year of regular touring was, believe it or not, 1981. Granted there was a certain Landy factor 1982-91 (but wait - surely rehiring him was part of Mike's masterplan to 'remove' Brian from the band !  Genius !!) but fact is there were at least five years after that when Brian would have been welcomed on stage, or in the studio... but he chose not to.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »

And now... shall we return to the original, and entirely commendable, topic of this thread ?

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

Who has had the chance to read the Fall 2014 edition of ESQ?

Thoughts?

FYI: a last-minute layout change had me overlooking a cutline on page 33, which should read—
(above) Victor “Moulty” Moulton (Barbarians), Dennis Wilson and Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) backstage; (opposite page, left) the 45 picture sleeve art for Jan & Dean’s “(Here They Come) From All Over The World” single; (opposite page, right) Jan & Dean get ready to introduce Lesley Gore.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »

Thoughts?

FYI: a last-minute layout change had me overlooking a cutline on page 33, which should read—
(above) Victor “Moulty” Moulton (Barbarians), Dennis Wilson and Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones) backstage; (opposite page, left) the 45 picture sleeve art for Jan & Dean’s “(Here They Come) From All Over The World” single; (opposite page, right) Jan & Dean get ready to introduce Lesley Gore.

People still read ESQ? 

Why does it have Jan and Dean in there at all?  ( Is there anyone that cares about them anymore other than  Mark Moore?  )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

Thoughts?

People still read ESQ? 

Why does it have Jan and Dean in there at all?  ( Is there anyone that cares about them anymore other than  Mark Moore?  )

Ya know, I'll stick up for Jan & Dean. They are actually pretty decent. At least worthy of a "greatest hits" CD. However, I do feel that ESQ has given them a bit too much coverage. The fanbase for them as compared to The Beach Boys just isn't there. And then there's the problem of what exactly is being covered. Let's be honest, Dean Torrence hasn't done dick musically speaking since.....who knows when? We don't need any more on Dean unless it's about Save for a Rainy Day, his recording of "Vegetables", or possibly a story on the Legendary Masked Surfers (which in itself is kinda interesting...Dean, Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher in the early '70s). But besides that, all he's done is re-record Jan & Dean and Beach Boys hits and market them as "Jan & Dean" (Silver Summer, The Jan & Dean Story, etc.). Now of course, I (and a few others) might actually find the story on why he went against Jan's wishes and released Silver Summer as Jan & Dean without Jan's consent might be interesting. But as we know, we don't want too much of the boat being rocked at ESQ (and understandably so, you wanna keep your contacts). But it sure might be interesting.

But anyways, a truly interesting "Jan & Dean" story would be a thorough investigation of Jan's post-Carnival of Sound career. You know, his early '70s singles, "Fun City" with Dean, his planned late '70s album, Port to Paradise and more. Would suuuuurely be more interesting than knowing whose county fair Dean is playing with Chris Farmer and Gary Griffin as "The Jan & Dean Show featuring Dean Torrence".
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:08:16 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:46 AM »

<People still read ESQ?>
<Why does it have Jan and Dean in there at all?  ( Is there anyone that cares about them anymore other than  Mark Moore?  )>

Well, counting me, that's two.  I don't think anyone with even average intelligence would argue the importance and relevance of Jan & Dean to the Beach Boys or vice versa throughout their checkered careers.  Especially the Beach Boys themselves.  And ESQ is an excellent magazine, well read by many, including the aforementioned Beach Boys.  As with any publication of this sort, one has to straddle a fine line between "approved" PR and real journalism but Dave and Lee navigate this path reasonably well.

As for the comments themselves, I'd be tempted to say I've never read such a fine, pristine and clear example of ass-hatterie (or is it hattery?) in my life.  If I was that sort of person.  Which I am not.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »

For those who read the Fall 2014 edition, I'd be most interested in what you learned.  Here's one example.

Hi David,
Thanks for sending your Beach Boys Concert book (of Endless Summer Quarterly)! I really enjoyed reading your multiple interviews and getting a “Rashomon effect” perspective some 50-yrs. later.  I hope you've received the kudos you deserve from your subscribers.  I certainly enjoyed the different comments made by those you interviewed, especially Dean’s.

Thanks for the time we spent talking together and look forward to reading your next project.

Warmest,
Steve Binder
Director, The T.A.M.I. Show
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx