gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85507 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »

Regarding the CD issue and mailing/manufacturing costs: "drbeachboy" has already made the suggestion of using digital downloads with PIN access, and I agree that is a good option, eliminating the additional manufacturing and shipping expenses. The concern there might be how to coordinate and organize the individual PIN access codes going to each subscriber with the actual database or host where they'd be entering the PIN and accessing the music. It might turn into something beyond just uploading the tracks and giving people codes to access them. Unless someone can do this in-house, it might need something like an outside administrator or host to even begin managing uploads/downloads, especially where distributing access codes is involved too.

I think the easy thing to do would be to do assign each subscriber with their own code. They put it in, the server recognizes the subscriber, and you've got your files.
You could also limit the download of the files to once or twice to discriminate sharing of their personal code, if that's a concern. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »

If anyone on the board lives near Sarasota FL, there's an ebay seller who has 58 ESQ issues for sale( 1984-2013) for $80: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-ISSUES-BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-ENDLESS-SUMMER-QUARTERLY-MAGAZINE-1984-2013-/251614655007     

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »

That ebay listing should read 57 issues of ESQ plus 1 issue of ASM Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »

Well, even if you were right, doesn't matter now, as someone got the seller to  agree to ship them, evidently, and bought the lot. 
 A great deal, I guess!?! 
Much less expensive than buying them now, if you could even get all those  back issues....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »

Well, even if you were right, doesn't matter now, as someone got the seller to  agree to ship them, evidently, and bought the lot. 
 A great deal, I guess!?! 
Much less expensive than buying them now, if you could even get all those  back issues....

Good for them, despite the inaccuracy.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 06:01:10 AM »

How important are the "themed issues" to current subscribers?

Does it matter if ESQ covers an album that does not fall on a specific anniversary year?

If we cover a specific timeframe, what do you want to know?  Give examples…
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 06:23:09 AM »

I love ESQ; provides a lot of great historical information and insights. One thing I think I would like to see that is hardly ever touched on......an in depth look at the personalities and experiences of the principal Beach Boys. How they interacted with each other, what were their daily routines while they were out on the road year after year, did they hang out together or not, what were their favorite foods and drinks.....wine , beer......how did they pass their time on the road...........just different things, maybe sort of like "A DAY IN THE LIFE OF"....... that would be something very different and give us some good insight into the individuals that comprised the band. Just a suggestion!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 07:51:02 AM »

Does it matter if ESQ covers an album that does not fall on a specific anniversary year?

Anniversaries are good to note but I'd don't think you need be bound by them… something's are worth celebrating regardless. To entertain and inform might be better guidelines?

“We live in divisive times.”
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »

Anniversaries are good to note but I'd don't think you need be bound by them… something's are worth celebrating regardless. To entertain and inform might be better guidelines?

Informing is the #1 guideline. 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

I don’t subscribe, but David will on occasion send me an issue or two. I love the themed issues. I thought the Sunflower retrospective was incredible — and actually the level that ESQ should always operate at that journalistic level. Every issue should be that intelligent, informative, and groundbreaking. So, if every, say, sixth issue, was a double themed issue, I think that would be a welcomed addition (preferably not focusing too intensely on the striped shirts era) for most readers.

Like a great many, I have zero interest in the non-Beach Boy material. I realize that the magazine is not called BEACH BOYS Quarterly, but I pass over every non-BB piece/review (e.g. Michael Angeloff, etc. . . ). I have never understood ESQ's interest/devotion to the Jan & Dean catalogue, because to me, it’s like Beatlefan handing over a large portion of the magazine to dissect the attributes of Billy J. Kramer. That said, if Jan & Dean MUST figure into ESQ's makeup, what I would be interested in is an informative -- professionally written -- examination of Jan Berry’s post accident and pre-’78 studio recordings (e.g. “Natural High,” “Blow-up Music.”) Other than that, I never need to read anything about Dean Torrence again.

I also think that ESQ doesn't always have to be a sunny side up love letter to the BB's and their work. A little more attitude and well intentioned critique would be appreciated -- certainly by me (and knowing them, probably the bandmembers, too.) I think the fact that ESQ didn't cover the fallout in any real depth after the the reunion tour firmly placed ESQ in the "fanzine" bracket rather than the "Beach Boys Publication Of Record."

My feedback is:
More C-man. More balls. Less pulled punches.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

I don’t subscribe, but David will on occasion send me an issue or two. I love the themed issues. I thought the Sunflower retrospective was incredible — and actually the level that ESQ should always operate at that journalistic level. Every issue should be that intelligent, informative, and groundbreaking. So, if every, say, sixth issue, was a double themed issue, I think that would be a welcomed addition (preferably not focusing too intensely on the striped shirts era) for most readers.

Like a great many, I have zero interest in the non-Beach Boy material. I realize that the magazine is not called BEACH BOYS Quarterly, but I pass over every non-BB piece/review (e.g. Michael Angeloff, etc. . . ). I have never understood ESQ's interest/devotion to the Jan & Dean catalogue, because to me, it’s like Beatlefan handing over a large portion of the magazine to dissect the attributes of Billy J. Kramer. That said, if Jan & Dean MUST figure into ESQ's makeup, what I would be interested in is an informative -- professionally written -- examination of Jan Berry’s post accident and pre-’78 studio recordings (e.g. “Natural High,” “Blow-up Music.”) Other than that, I never need to read anything about Dean Torrence again.

I also think that ESQ doesn't always have to be a sunny side up love letter to the BB's and their work. A little more attitude and well intentioned critique would be appreciated -- certainly by me (and knowing them, probably the bandmembers, too.) I think the fact that ESQ didn't cover the fallout in any real depth after the the reunion tour firmly placed ESQ in the "fanzine" bracket rather than the "Beach Boys Publication Of Record."

My feedback is:

ESQ ran both letters (Mike and Brian) and I wrote a response about those letters…it all appeared in the Fall 2012 issue.  
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

I know you did, David.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »

I placed my order a couple days ago.  Smiley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »

My feedback is:
Pretty much this, but I realize that David has gotten inside access to the band and BRI and that would obviously be compromised if ESQ were to become too critical on controversial issues. If we want to continue to have one on one interviews with Mike, Al, Brian, etc. we have to cut David some slack on this.  I would say the Beach Boys coverage is all spot on for the most part. However,  I do not even read the articles on other artists and if anything could cause my subscription to lapse it would be coverage of Jan and Dean and the Bamboo Trading Co. et al in the magazine.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:02:48 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

My feedback is:

ESQ ran both letters (Mike and Brian) and I wrote a response about those letters…it all appeared in the Fall 2012 issue.  

Howie, if you know I covered the fallout, why did you write, "didn't cover the fallout"?

You are a great writer.  Better than I.  Can you share one of your posts that shows a more ballsy approach to the group's history? 

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »

My feedback is:
Pretty much this, but I realize that David has gotten inside access to the band and BRI and that would obviously be compromised if ESQ were to become too critical on controversial issues. If we want to continue to have one on one interviews with Mike, Al, Brian, etc. we have to cut David some slack on this.  I would say the Beach Boys coverage is all spot on for the most part. However,  I do not even read the articles on other artists and if anything could cause my subscription to lapse it would be coverage of Jan and Dean and the Bamboo Trading Co. et al in the magazine.

Message received. 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »

Thank you for the compliment, David.

I didn't write -- "didn't cover the fallout," I wrote: "didn't cover the fallout in any real depth."

I'm not into pissing contests, but. . . . . . . . .

To give you but one of 1000 examples of a post which, quote, "shows a more ballsy approach to the group's history"
(I pull no punches in my coverage of the band and am in great stead with them all because of it.)

Here's the example you wanted. . .

No working journalist has been more fair to all the individual Beach Boys than me.
None.

And even the strongest advocates of Mike Love would acknowledge the fact that his partnership with Brian Wilson is not, as in the case of Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards, a "chicken or the egg" scenario.

It's a different setup. The strength -- and honestly the point that most people are missing in my post -- is that Mike Love has carried this gig for the past 50-plus years (no quitting the road, no solo tour instead of, no being too loaded to make the gig.) If addressing that fact is "bashing" him, then I honestly don't know what saluting him smells like.

And for those of you who are hip to the inner-workings of this band, they know there's TRULY no black and white answers to anything regarding it.
The reason why BB 50 worked is because of MANAGEMENT. Say whatever you will about Joe Thomas, but he MANAGED the thing.
The Beach Boys finally had a guy with a lot of dough and a vision, clapping his hands and saying "OK -- here's what we're gonna do."
And he did it -- reunion tour, studio and live LP, TV special, TWO DVD's.

Quibbles aside -- all that sh it hit the market in a YEAR.

In my opinion, the band should have a person IN HOUSE who does that, someone like the late Neil Aspinall who was able to rally the business around Apple for the Beatles' best interests.

BRI has chosen not to follow the insanely lucrative, high-end example of Apple. It will continue to cost them dearly.

Not having a strong manager who sits down with his/her bosses and says: "What do we need to do to keep everybody happy" -- and then realizing it -- is the difference between McCartney, Ringo & the widows kissing each others asses on Larry King and where the Beach Boys are in 2013.

The reason why the Beach Boys always f uck it up is because they're rudderless and really have been since 1976.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:06:01 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »

Edited multiple times as mild illness allows for more rumination!:

…I realize that David has gotten inside access to the band and BRI and that would obviously be compromised if ESQ were to become too critical on controversial issues. If we want to continue to have one on one interviews with Mike, Al, Brian, etc. we have to cut David some slack on this…

Nevertheless it would be appreciated if someone could hold the band members to account, to put to them th questions the fans have burning in their hearts - essentially, "who is responsible for the (largely) on-going train wreck that is The Beach Boys' current situation".

Look at the misplaced speculation, the lack of understanding, the ignorance (and by that I don't mean "ignorance", rather "ignorance"; please don't be offended fellow posters!) on this board, supposedly the best-informed fan community of any band, any where, any time.

Much of that could be corrected, explained, set right… frankly, we could be told to "shut the f*u*c*k up" if necessary, by those at the heart of it all, and those of us who are too easily distracted by the soap opera antics could get on with appreciating the music which, as David frequently and correctly reminds us, is what's at the heart of everything, what brings us together in harmony while at the same time being the cause of so much discord.

I'm not suggesting any band member be expected to parade his private life (lives?) through ESQ's pages but it would be great to have explained the actions and relationships that seem inexplicable to those of us on the outside looking in.

If the band remembers refused to contribute then fair enough, though Howie suggests they might be more forthcoming than most of us expect. And if they shut David out for asking such questions, then report on that fact: any such silence sometimes says as much, if not more, about people as their answers might have done.

I guess there's a point at which the friend-of-the-band persona has to be set aside - even just temporarily - to let the probing journalist take over.

Would love to see more C-man, more Peter Reum, more AGD, more Howie. Would live to see BGas and Mikie and Lee and others contribute to a "collector's corner"-type column (Antiques Roadshow these days!). Would love to see news and reviews of bootlegs too… illegal they might be, but they keep the fans fed and interested when the lean times are in session (or when band squabbling/politics/bad judgement prevents the official release of much-desired material). They exist, and to ignore them is to bury a head in the sand.  There's even an opportunity to denounce them, if it has to be done that way!  (I'd love to know what Brian thought of Sweet Insanity coming out on the black market, what Mike makes of his own unreleased albums being in circulation…)

A lot of the above is fantasy, I expect, but it's feedback of a kind, I hope.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:04:02 AM by John Manning » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 01:58:48 AM »

In my opinion, the band should have a person IN HOUSE who does that, someone like the late Neil Aspinall who was able to rally the business around Apple for the Beatles' best interests.

BRI has chosen not to follow the insanely lucrative, high-end example of Apple. It will continue to cost them dearly.

Not having a strong manager who sits down with his/her bosses and says: "What do we need to do to keep everybody happy" -- and then realizing it -- is the difference between McCartney, Ringo & the widows kissing each others asses on Larry King and where the Beach Boys are in 2013.

The reason why the Beach Boys always f uck it up is because they're rudderless and really have been since 1976.

Most sensible thing I've read on this board for ages.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 02:14:19 AM »

Just seen ESQ's Facebook post… hope there ain't a feature on John Stamos on the way!  LOL

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:05 AM »

Would live to see BGas and Mikie and Lee and others contribute to a "collector's corner"-type column (Antiques Roadshow these days!).

+1, as I mentioned something similar in a previous ESQ feedback thread, and I'd love to hear about the development of the hardcore collector circuit.

And, I'm sure if you included photos of Mikie, bgas and Lee, that would be more than enough to keep the female readership happy.

Review/discussion of key physical bootlegs would be rather interesting given a lot of this stuff has now disaparated into various disposable torrent files and blog links across the net.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:20 AM »

In my experience with the individual Beach Boys, if you ask them a pointed, serious question they answer it.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »

Has there been an issue about the In Concert album? I'd love to see an issue about that album. It could go over the intended single album version, concert reviews from the period, what songs were recorded that didn't show up on the final product (and why), unpublished live photos from the period, interviews with Blondie and/or Ricky on those shows, etc. I'd also be interested to read Al's recollections of those shows.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

In David's defense, he has been after me for years to resurrect a couple of columns for ESQ: one on "collecting the Beach Boys" that I used to write, and one on bootlegs / tape trading that was written by my good pal Will Brison Wink  I keep promising David that I will get those columns back in the pages of ESQ, and then my real job pops up and sucks up all of my spare time...

Just thinking out loud, but maybe like the "Roundtable" issue that David published last summer, he could do a "Collector's Roundtable" with Chris, Mikie, Peter, myself, and others, where we talk about rarities, market values, etc.  The late Derek Bill, Peter, and I did one of those for DISCoveries back when it was still published, moderated by the writer of their "Market Watch" column Robin Platts.  We contributed our answers via email, and Robin compiled it.  I thought it was a great article.

And although the female readership may like to see some of the photos of Dennis from my collection, Chris' collection, and Mikie's collection, trust me -- they don't want to see photos OF us!   Cheesy

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »

And although the female readership may like to see some of the photos of Dennis from my collection, Chris' collection, and Mikie's collection, trust me -- they don't want to see photos OF us!   Cheesy

Lee

This is very true. Especially concerning Chris - he's uglier than a monkey's armpit (and can't spell worth a damn).

Other potential contributors to be considered might be Smile-Holland (Klass), Steve Mayo, and Panayotis.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx