gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:41:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 85512 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 01, 2015, 10:06:33 PM »

Worth checking out…
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/posts/10153617398372487

Endless Summer Quarterly added 24 new photos — with Al Jardine and 8 others.
1 hr · Edited ·
Ready for an incredible event? The likes of which you've never seen? ‪#‎EndlessSummerQuarterlySWAG‬ ‪#‎TheBeachBoys‬ ‪#‎BrianWilson‬ ‪#‎MikeLove‬ ‪#‎AlJardine‬ ‪#‎CarlWilson‬ ‪#‎DennisWilson‬ ‪#‎BlondieChaplin‬

ENDLESS SUMMER QUARTERLY is excited to announce our latest giveaway! No secret keywords, no forms to fill out, no essays. Just be an ACTIVE PAID SUBSCRIBER with one or more issues remaining on your subscription as of November 7, 2015. New subscribers, former subscribers who re-subscribe, and current subscribers all have an equal chance to win. Complimentary subscribers are not eligible. (NOTE: If your subscription expires with the Fall 2015 issue, get your renewal in by November 7, 2015 in order to eligible.)

GRAND PRIZE (NOTE: Due to international shipping costs and Customs restrictions, Grand Prize is available to U.S. subscribers only.):
• The Beach Boys 2015 Official Endless Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) Tour Program - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• Endless Summer Quarterly: Summer 2015 edition - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• The Beach Boys - Assortment of Acoustic Sounds LP re-releases ‪#‎TheBeach‬ Boys
• The Beach Boys - Assortment of Capitol Records LP re-releases
• The Beach Boys - Good Timin': Live At Knebworth England 1980 CD
• Brian Wilson - autographed 2000 8" x 10"
• Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure 16-track Deluxe CD [still sealed]
• Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure XL T-shirt ‪#‎NoPierPressure‬
• Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin - Record Store Day “The Right Time”/“Sail Away” 45 [still sealed]
• Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun LP [still sealed]
• Brian Wilson - “Midnight’s Another Day”/“That Lucky Old Sun”/“Morning Beat” blue vinyl 45 with picture sleeve
• Brian Wilson - “Midnight’s Another Day”/“That Lucky Old Sun”/“Morning Beat” yellow vinyl 45 with picture sleeve
• Al Jardine - autographed 2002 8” x 10”
• Al Jardine - autographed A Postcard From California post card
• Al Jardine - Family & Friends: Live In Las Vegas CD [still sealed]
• Al Jardine - “Don’t Fight The Sea ” /“Friends (A Capella)” white vinyl 45
• Carl Wilson – Self-titled CD
• Carl Wilson – Youngblood CD
• Carl Wilson – Long Promised Road, Soul Of The Beach Boys Book
• Dennis Wilson, James Taylor — Two-Lane Blacktop LIMITED EDITION VHS collectible metal box with collector's book (#3,924 of 5,000)
• David Marks And Friends – Live On Sunset 2010 CD
• Ricci Martin – Beached CD
• “Love Love & Mercy” DVD
• The Bamboo Trading Company CD - autographed by Matthew A. Jardine, Gary Griffin, Randell Kirsch, Philip Bardowell, Chris English Pittman and Miami Dan Miami Dan & the Hayes Street Band) + special guests Dean Torrence, David Marks & Probyn Gregory
• The Wrecking Crew DVD
• SOUND EXPLOSION! – Inside L.A.’s Studio Factory With The Wrecking Crew Book
• The Surf City AllStars — autographed program
• DRIFTING SAND – Summer Splash CD Drifting Sand
• Chris Farmer - “Born On Christmas day” CD single
• MOJO ’60s - Smile edition, with “Cabin Essence”/“Wonderful” yellow vinyl 45

SECOND PRIZES (5):
• “LOVE & MERCY” DVD
• DRIFTING SAND – Summer Splash CD
• AL JARDINE - autographed A Postcard From California post card
• RICCI MARTIN – Beached CD
• Two edition issue extension to subscription.

THIRD PRIZES (10):
• “LOVE & MERCY” DVD
• One edition issue extension to subscription.

Note: Endless Summer Quarterly reserves the right to substitute prizes at its discretion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:09:54 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

Just curious, based on the article in the recent ESQ (which I have not read, apologies) is there any indication that "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" might get a release on Blu-ray?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

yeah, why not. Maybe I'll win the grand prize, I subscribed

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

But you already own everything included in be grand prize. In the Outer Mongolian release version as well as coloured vinyl.

Maybe if you win you'll redistribute it all to Third World and UK fans… Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »

But you already own everything included in be grand prize. In the Outer Mongolian release version as well as coloured vinyl.

I was thinking for most of it, about you, John

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »

Ooh, where's the :blush emoticon when you need it!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2015, 03:31:53 PM »

I bet John has most of it as well.  Best send it down Melbourne way where it can be best appreciated; our local stocks of Surf City Allstars souvenirs is critically low.

Actually, David, keep me in the draw & when I win this bounty, I'll make up the difference on the postage!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »

I bet John has most of it as well.  Best send it down Melbourne way where it can be best appreciated; our local stocks of Surf City Allstars souvenirs is critically low.

Actually, David, keep me in the draw & when I win this bounty, I'll make up the difference on the postage!

gee, offering bribes...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:19 PM »

In fact (forgetting any of the autographs and T-shirts, which don't move me anyway) I don't have any of the following:

• The Bamboo Trading Company CD - autographed by Matthew A. Jardine, Gary Griffin, Randell Kirsch, Philip Bardowell, Chris English Pittman and Miami Dan Miami Dan & the Hayes Street Band) + special guests Dean Torrence, David Marks & Probyn Gregory
• SOUND EXPLOSION! – Inside L.A.’s Studio Factory With The Wrecking Crew Book
• DRIFTING SAND – Summer Splash CD Drifting Sand
• Chris Farmer - “Born On Christmas day” CD single

I'd quite like that Wrecking Crew book, for the pictures…

Carl Forever
Smiley Smile Associate

yabba dabba do

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:57 AM »

I just noticed that ESQ Facebook just added several more giveaways in addition to the BIG one they were already having. For me a subscription was already a non brainer as I love every issue especially the recent ones and now any subscription has us in the drawing for these many prizes, no entry needed just have a subscription and were automatically entered!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »

I just noticed that ESQ Facebook just added several more giveaways in addition to the BIG one they were already having. For me a subscription was already a non brainer as I love every issue especially the recent ones and now any subscription has us in the drawing for these many prizes, no entry needed just have a subscription and were automatically entered!

We want to spread out the giveaways so that more people win.  For that reason, we're creating smaller PRIZE PACKAGES.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2015, 03:50:48 AM »

David - finally found some time to get through the Fall 2015 edition of ESQ.  I hope you found it as rewarding to put together as it was to read.

I consider myself an ESQ newb having only subscribed since 2012, but this and the previous 2 editions have been really solid reads packed with great info, topped with a slow burn preview of c-man's highly anticipated sessionography.

What was it like to have Al Jardine confess he may be ready to change out of his long term Big Sur residency to explore much more?  And thanks for asking Al about Postcards - it's great to hear Al recorded that gem on an analogue console: here's to hoping we get to hold/hear a vinyl edition some day.

Al's comments, the additional info you managed to get from Matt and Blondie about NPP; Don Was's insights into IJWMFTT doco and beyond - pure gold!

Peter Reum always blows me away with his insightful and heartfelt words with the requisite gravitas to appropriately frame and discuss a(nother) difficult time in Brian's past.

Best wishes for the next edition, I can't wait - cheers - A   

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

David - finally found some time to get through the Fall 2015 edition of ESQ.  I hope you found it as rewarding to put together as it was to read.

I consider myself an ESQ newb having only subscribed since 2012, but this and the previous 2 editions have been really solid reads packed with great info, topped with a slow burn preview of c-man's highly anticipated sessionography.

What was it like to have Al Jardine confess he may be ready to change out of his long term Big Sur residency to explore much more?  And thanks for asking Al about Postcards - it's great to hear Al recorded that gem on an analogue console: here's to hoping we get to hold/hear a vinyl edition some day.

Al's comments, the additional info you managed to get from Matt and Blondie about NPP; Don Was's insights into IJWMFTT doco and beyond - pure gold!

Peter Reum always blows me away with his insightful and heartfelt words with the requisite gravitas to appropriately frame and discuss a(nother) difficult time in Brian's past.

Best wishes for the next edition, I can't wait - cheers - A   

Thanks Alan.  Appreciate the feedback.
Carl Forever
Smiley Smile Associate

yabba dabba do

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »

Seems to me, each issue of ESQ is better then the one before which is amazing considering there is a limited amount of new music coming from the boys in recent decades. My favorite issues are the ones that break down and dissect albums and give history and back ground stories to each track. It make old songs sound and feel fresh after learning new info about them. The only thing I wish ESQ would do different is I wish they had at least one page dedicated to collectors,maybe highlighting at least one super rare or super unique Beach Boy / Jan Dean collectible and encourage readers to send in a pic of their special piece. If you haven't heard already ESQ is giving away a ton of their beach Boy collectibles. NO ENTRY required! Just be a subscriber, if your already subscribed then your already entered. here is some of the goodies they are giving away:
BRIAN WILSON - THAT LUCKY OLD SUN PRIZE PACKAGE
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10153642514662487/?type=3&theater

DENNIS WILSON PRIZE PACKAGE
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10153650918992487/?type=3&theater

CARL WILSON PRIZE PACKAGE
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/pcb.10153629932757487/10153629930047487/?type=3&theater

AL JARDINE PRIZE PACKAGE
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/a.345125747486.155678.183982922486/10153643844127487/?type=3&theater

WRECKING CREW PRIZE PACKAGE
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/pcb.10153629932757487/10153629929022487/?type=3&theater
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »

David I have signed up.  I have been meaning to do this for a while and bought some back issues a few months back.  Great read.  Grin
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 25, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »

The names drawn for the first eight prize packages are:

GRAND PRIZE #1: Keith Guinn
GRAND PRIZE #2: Darlene Morga
GRAND PRIZE #3: Tim O'Shea

BRIAN WILSON - NO PIER PRESSURE PRIZE PACKAGE: John Lally
AL JARDINE PRIZE PACKAGE: Peter S. Hansen
CARL WILSON PRIZE PACKAGE: Ian Pratt
DENNIS WILSON PRIZE PACKAGE: Don Faruolo
WRECKING CREW PRIZE PACKAGE: Brian Dillon

More prize packages are coming soon!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:18:12 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »

The Winter 2015 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly was mailed on Monday, December 14.  Has anyone received it?

Thoughts?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 19, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »

Got mine on Saturday. Great, great piece on the Paley sessions! Such an awesome read and insightful. Thanks to all who make ESQ what it is. Also, interesting list of recordings by BW at Gary Griffin's studio!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 24, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »

Spoke with Andy Paley, and we're going to be continuing the discussion on the work he did with Brian in the past in upcoming editions of ESQ in 2016.  Andy is still uncovering previously unnamed and unreleased demos.  

Alan Boyd sent a nice note that he had to read the Winter 2015 front to back as soon as it arrived.  

Speaking for Lee, and our assistant editors -- Keith Devoe and Ron Kohl -- we would like wish everyone a happy holiday!

More ESQ prize packages are coming soon!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:50:02 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 24, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »

Received mine yesterday (UK) and have devoured the Andy Paley interview - fascinating stuff and fine detail considering Andy warned David that it might be otherwise!  Look forward to the renewed conversation, David.

Lee's analysis of the new SACDs is excellent and I see has helped inspire more discussion of the recent Analogue LPs elsewhere on this board.

Terrific issue, hearty thanks, one and all!

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 26, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »

Why no cheaper, digital alternatives?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »

Why no cheaper, digital alternatives?

If you have personal knowledge of a third-party solution/service that will allow secure, subscriber-only magazine downloads that can't be forwarded or copied, but doesn't cost the publisher an arm and a leg, feel free to PM me.  I'm all ears (or eyes in this case).

Lee
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 27, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

Call me old fashioned, but I still enjoy having hard copy in hand. There is nothing quite like the printed page. Cheers to your latest issue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 27, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

i don't think we would ever do away with the printed edition.  It's true we would save some costs of printing and postage if current subscribers opted for a digital subscription, but a good portion of our expenses are fixed regardless of whether we print 100 copies or 1,000 copies.  The value proposition is how many subscribers would we gain by a digital edition, what price could we set, and what is the cost of a third party service to host the issues, provide an eCommerce front-end website to purchase the digital subscriptions and individual issues, and provide a secure method of delivery.  They would have to support Microsoft devices, Apple devices, Kindles, Androids, etc.

Lee
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: December 28, 2015, 01:22:38 AM »

i don't think we would ever do away with the printed edition.  It's true we would save some costs of printing and postage if current subscribers opted for a digital subscription, but a good portion of our expenses are fixed regardless of whether we print 100 copies or 1,000 copies.  The value proposition is how many subscribers would we gain by a digital edition, what price could we set, and what is the cost of a third party service to host the issues, provide an eCommerce front-end website to purchase the digital subscriptions and individual issues, and provide a secure method of delivery.  They would have to support Microsoft devices, Apple devices, Kindles, Androids, etc.

Lee

Even if a digital option was available to the fans for a fraction of the price, I would still stick with the print edition. I like something that I can look back at in future years and not have to turn on a device to read.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx