gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:57:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So...what exactly happened when Dennis met Stamos?  (Read 13040 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHPlAwBVZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY49qsNMlp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaU5_RCdbY

here's that episode of "You Again"

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »

Stamos got the Beach Boys on his previous sitcom, the short-lived "You Again", circa 1986, and there the group actually had probably a more prominent "acting" part and plot involvement than they did on most of the "Full House" episodes.

Ironically, my recollection of the plot is that Stamos' character gets a chance to do a gig with the BB's, but can't read the sheet music or something.

I believe this pic is from that 1986 sitcom shoot; several years before their "debut" on "Full House."

Was that the show with Jack Klugman? Where Kowalski broke his arm or something and they needed a replacement?  Whoever it was says "I know every note of every Beach Boys song", and Brian says "well, I don't, can you show me?" Then it turns out he can't read the charts and just starts banging away (which seemed odd, using charts for the drums).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »

Then it turns out he can't read the charts and just starts banging away (which seemed odd, using charts for the drums).

Nothing much has changed then...  dennis

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 08:53:46 AM »

Then it turns out he can't read the charts and just starts banging away (which seemed odd, using charts for the drums).

Nothing much has changed then...  dennis
LOL
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »

The Boys and their so-called legacy were never heard from again after that showing.  Wink

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:39 AM »

Reading this short thread, I gained much respect for John Stamos. Very nice of him to visit Dennis at the hospital. Thanks for cool stories!

Oh my, I haven't laughed so much in a looong time!  hahahah!   Thank you muchly Range Rover Smiley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »

I seem to recall that John Stamos tells the story himself in the Dennis Wilson: Forever DVD. I can't remember the exact details (I haven't watched it since I first got it) so apologies if it's not 100% accurate (I might have to dig it out and watch it again soon) but I seem to remember Stamos seeing Dennis about to leave at the end of a concert and so he ran over and put his hand on his shoulder and Dennis turned and shouted something at him and drove off.

I'm getting a mental image of the scene in Boogie Nights where the young up-and-coming star Johnny Doe eagerly and smilingly meets the busted-out and substance addicted superstar Dirk Diggler, and Dirk coldly gives him the brush-off, perhaps out of a bit of jealousy and just not wanting to be bothered with the young guy. Not that this seems to be how Dennis is typically portrayed, but maybe this was a really bad night for Dennis at a particuarly low ebb for him, and Stamos may have come off as annoying. If only Dennis knew the young, mulleted, soon-to-be superstar he was meeting would be singing Forever on an actual BB album in 10 short years.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 02:53:15 AM »

None of Stamos' scenes was scripted. This is a firsthand account of his first time playing with the band.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »

John Stamos gets a bad wrap from a lot of Beach Boys fans. I will be the first to say, he seems to be a poster child of some of the cheesy things the Beach Boys have done since the 80s. He also may have turned a classic song into a cringe worthy one. Having said that, how many of us wouldn't trade places with him? I bet most of us spare fans would love to be in his shoes! He also seems like a good guy. Perhaps he would be a great guy to meet because he's not my hero Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »

John Stamos gets a bad wrap from a lot of Beach Boys fans. I will be the first to say, he seems to be a poster child of some of the cheesy things the Beach Boys have done since the 80s. He also may have turned a classic song into a cringe worthy one. Having said that, how many of us wouldn't trade places with him? I bet most of us spare fans would love to be in his shoes! He also seems like a good guy. Perhaps he would be a great guy to meet because he's not my hero Smiley

I do wonder how many people became fans of the Boys because of Stamos. Sure, a lot of us balk at the Full House Beach Boys clips, but many were drawn in by them: I have friends who love Stamos' version of Forever, and I'm sure it has made them appreciate the Beach Boys a bit more. I've complained about the guy in the past, but he's probably made many people fans along the way...and that is nothing but commendable.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »

See I'm not sure about fans.  Did he make them like that one song, yes? Go to 1 concert, yes? But actual fans I'm not so sure.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »

See I'm not sure about fans.  Did he make them like that one song, yes? Go to 1 concert, yes? But actual fans I'm not so sure.

I guess it depends on how you define a fan. If they went out and bought a 'Best of' compilation because of what they heard off of 'Full House' or something, it's worth it imo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »

And don't get me wrong, I actually like the kid, (although my wife says he is way too old for me to call him that anymore), and you've got to admire the whole new generation that he has helped turn on to The Beach Boys music.  Jon Stebbins and I have had some really fun times together with him.  Actually, I was very saddened by Dennis' treatment of him that night, and tried to convey that to Dennis, although we probably had a hell of a laugh about how absurdly he had behaved, once we hit the streets...

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »

I like in the "You Again" clip how Carl gets annoyed at Stamos' character that he can't read the arrangement. "Hold it, hold it, who wrote THAT? Matt, try it as written."

Carl the perfectionist on stage, even in faction.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »

If you are not sure if something is distasteful you just have to look at EPE/Graceland. They know how to do that....

Stamos is probably a nice guy. The problem is not him but how everybody else is kissing his a$$. Deservedly or not, he's one of the signboards of the sketchy, meritless parts of showbusiness....and unfortunately so are the Beach Boys since at least after Kokomo. And EPE is doing everything to keep Elvis in that same corner.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:17:04 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx