gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:37:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So...what exactly happened when Dennis met Stamos?  (Read 13073 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »

I've seen allusions to this supposedely fateful encounter on this board, but never any details much less any kind of general picture of what went down. From what little I hear, it's an interesting story, but I can't find any descriptions online. Would anyone wiser than me care to explain? Or point me in the right direction? Or send me a PM letting me know I'm an idiot and nothing noteworthy happened and/or they never actually met?

Just a disclaimer, I'm not a Stamps basher, so if the story makes him look bad I'm not trying to hear about it to laugh at his expense or anything of that nature. I'm just genuinely curious.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »

John was still a regular on "General Hospital" when Dennis died, which was his first big break. I doubt they ever met. But if anyone says otherwise, I'd like to read about it, too.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »

I seem to recall that John Stamos tells the story himself in the Dennis Wilson: Forever DVD. I can't remember the exact details (I haven't watched it since I first got it) so apologies if it's not 100% accurate (I might have to dig it out and watch it again soon) but I seem to remember Stamos seeing Dennis about to leave at the end of a concert and so he ran over and put his hand on his shoulder and Dennis turned and shouted something at him and drove off.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:38:19 PM by mikeyj » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 11:30:18 PM »

I seem to recall that John Stamos tells the story himself in the Dennis Wilson: Forever DVD. I can't remember the exact details (I haven't watched it since I first got it) so apologies if it's not 100% accurate (I might have to dig it out and watch it again soon) but I seem to remember Stamos seeing Dennis about to leave at the end of a concert and so he ran over and put his hand on his shoulder and Dennis turned and shouted something at him and drove off.

don't talk (put your hand off my shoulder)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »

Dennis whispered into his ear:

"If every word I said could make you laugh I'd talk forever."

Then he inherited Dennis's soul.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:50:35 PM by Gabo » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:41:21 AM »

Dennis whispered into his ear:

"If every word I said could make you laugh I'd talk forever."

Then he inherited Dennis's soul.

Priceless!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:43 AM »

From Ed Roach:

Back in the early 80's Stamos was on General Hospital.  He had the same pr firm, Rogers & Cowan, that represented The Boys.  There was a girl that worked there that was close with both Dennis & I, (surprise, surprise!), and she said that all Stamos ever talked about was how much he wanted to meet Dennis.  Well, she threw a party one night, and made me promise that I'd get Dennis there.
Unfortunately, it wasn't one of his better nights...  He had been drinking quite a bit, and was also going through a weird period where he was wearing a knife on his side at all times, which he was constantly practicing throwing.  I knew it wasn't a time for him to attend a party, but heck, I promised...  It wasn't just Stamos that he was rude to that night, either; I don't think anyone was too pleased with him by the time we left.  After that, I think John felt it was safer to gravitate over towards Mike Love.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10725.msg199334.html#msg199334

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:25:10 AM »

From Ed Roach:

Back in the early 80's Stamos was on General Hospital.  He had the same pr firm, Rogers & Cowan, that represented The Boys.  There was a girl that worked there that was close with both Dennis & I, (surprise, surprise!), and she said that all Stamos ever talked about was how much he wanted to meet Dennis.  Well, she threw a party one night, and made me promise that I'd get Dennis there.
Unfortunately, it wasn't one of his better nights...  He had been drinking quite a bit, and was also going through a weird period where he was wearing a knife on his side at all times, which he was constantly practicing throwing.  I knew it wasn't a time for him to attend a party, but heck, I promised...  It wasn't just Stamos that he was rude to that night, either; I don't think anyone was too pleased with him by the time we left.  After that, I think John felt it was safer to gravitate over towards Mike Love.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10725.msg199334.html#msg199334

Well...At least no one was stabbed.

Thanks for that info, I had not seen the other thread you referenced.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:37:30 AM »

Sweet Jesus, Ghost of Dennis! Why did you have to be a prick to the young soap star?  Could have saved us a lot of  misery and bandwidth!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:09 AM »

He had been drinking quite a bit, and was also going through a weird period where he was wearing a knife on his side at all times, which he was constantly practicing throwing. 

Even more creepy when you consider this is what Manson used to do.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »

He had been drinking quite a bit, and was also going through a weird period where he was wearing a knife on his side at all times, which he was constantly practicing throwing. 

Exactly!  It was a very bizarre time he was going through, when I think those days came back to haunt him.  He spent quite a bit of time throwing this buck knife at this wooden packing crate in Christine McVie's garage, only to find out later that he damaged a priceless work of art inside the crate!  It was awfully dangerous to be around, too.  At least half the times he threw it, the damn thing would come flying back, endangering anyone nearby
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

Things like this is why sometimes it's better to never meet your heroes.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »

On the other hand when I met Dennis in '78, and I'd certainly count him as a hero to me at that stage in my life, he was very kind, very engaging, even interested. I came away thinking he was truly human and caring, considering i was just some nobody long haired scruff he met out of the blue. But I guess Ed will attest it would totally depend on what day, or hour, you caught him on.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »

Exactly!  It was a very bizarre time he was going through, when I think those days came back to haunt him.  He spent quite a bit of time throwing this buck knife at this wooden packing crate in Christine McVie's garage, only to find out later that he damaged a priceless work of art inside the crate!  It was awfully dangerous to be around, too.  At least half the times he threw it, the damn thing would come flying back, endangering anyone nearby

But when you go back and read The Lost Beach Boy, for instance ..... equating the knife tossing Dennis with the reckless, much younger guy in the book isn't such a leap.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »

Ed, it's always great to hear first hand accounts (and honest ones) from you about Dennis and his antics.  I can imagine if he was still here he'd post on this board and have a chuckle when thinking back to some of the 'crazy' stuff.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 05:23:44 PM »

Ed, it's always great to hear first hand accounts (and honest ones) from you about Dennis and his antics.  I can imagine if he was still here he'd post on this board and have a chuckle when thinking back to some of the 'crazy' stuff.

Thanks so much.  Think that this was the same party, (definitely the same friend's house), where Peter Yarrow was the first one we encountered, standing by the door drinking a white wine in a plastic cup.  We'd barely entered the room when Dennis asked him, "Wait, which one are you?  Mary???"  I knew right then that we were off to the races that night!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »

(giggle)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »

I just got the dvd in the mail today and your memory is correct  Smiley.  Dennis yelled "Get your hand off my shoulder!" ah Dennis  LOL

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »

On the other hand when I met Dennis in '78, and I'd certainly count him as a hero to me at that stage in my life, he was very kind, very engaging, even interested. I came away thinking he was truly human and caring, considering i was just some nobody long haired scruff he met out of the blue. But I guess Ed will attest it would totally depend on what day, or hour, you caught him on.

Ya, I guess "Your results may vary." is the important phrase here.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 03:37:41 AM »

Thanks so much.  Think that this was the same party, (definitely the same friend's house), where Peter Yarrow was the first one we encountered, standing by the door drinking a white wine in a plastic cup.  We'd barely entered the room when Dennis asked him, "Wait, which one are you?  Mary???"  I knew right then that we were off to the races that night!
Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »

Reading this short thread, I gained much respect for John Stamos. Very nice of him to visit Dennis at the hospital. Thanks for cool stories!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:44 PM »

Reading this short thread, I gained much respect for John Stamos. Very nice of him to visit Dennis at the hospital. Thanks for cool stories!

RR, "General Hospital" is the name of the TV soap opera John Stamos was on. He met Dennis at a party. Unless you were being ironic. In which case, LOL!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:36:54 PM by Cyncie » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »

RR, "General Hospital" is the name of the TV soap opera John Stamos was on. He met Dennis at a party. Unless you were being ironic. In which case, LOL!

I think the fact that Dennis turned up at the hospital drunk and with a knife, looking for Stamos, says a lot… am I following this right?

LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »

yea he was on that show before Full House

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »

Stamos got the Beach Boys on his previous sitcom, the short-lived "You Again", circa 1986, and there the group actually had probably a more prominent "acting" part and plot involvement than they did on most of the "Full House" episodes.

Ironically, my recollection of the plot is that Stamos' character gets a chance to do a gig with the BB's, but can't read the sheet music or something.

I believe this pic is from that 1986 sitcom shoot; several years before their "debut" on "Full House."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx