gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:54:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ariel Pink  (Read 4706 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

One of the GREATEST musicians of all time. DIY to the core -- hardcore.

I can relate to the beautiful paean "Can't Hear My Eyes." I want a lady as beautiful as a sunset on a strip, it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJzE4Uw89s
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:40:17 PM by Gabo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »

Ariel Pink is cool, dunno about GREATEST, but I like him.
I really like his newest record Mature Themes and am patiently waiting for some new music.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »

I bought Mature Themes a week ago. Before Today is the true CLASSIC.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:16:50 AM »

Listened to a lot of his stuff a couple of years ago. Lost interest, somehow. Any worthy new releases by the Haunted Graffiti genius?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:04:19 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »

I remember getting an Ariel Pink album to review in the mid-00s and being wholly underwhelmed, probably mostly because the press kit was annoying, as I recall it. (Not a fair reason, just being honest...) Since then I haven't really given him the time of day. I probably ought to peruse his material a bit more thoroughly.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »

I saw Ariel Pink supporting Animal Collective at the Middle East club in Cambridge, MA, back in about 2004/5 and he was awful. Crappy music and he spent most of his set having a go at the poor soundman who had no idea what he was on about. A rude and unpleasant person with no discernable musical talent. I listened to a couple of tracks from Haunted Graffiti when people were praising it but it didn't do anything for me.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »

his songs are great and his voice is amazing
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »

I've given a little listen--but by no means a statistically viable sample--since posting earlier. Specifically, I listened to some of Mature Themes and what I assumed I had listened to before, The Doldrums. I'd disagree with both Gabo and Loaf: I think it's way off to say the guy has "no discernible musical talent" (though to be fair, his post was in reference to a live show, and not a recording), but probably similarly far off to say he's one of the greatest of all time or that his songs and voice are amazing.

I think he's got a gift for melody and a habit of undermining it for effect, with an overload of irony. So anyway, my only barely informed opinion is that he's not someone I care to listen to much. So I'll exit the thread gracefully.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Little Pad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »

I love The Doldrums. It sounds like David Bowie, Scott Walker, Barry Gibb, and Brian Wilson (for "Among Dreams" anyways) made a really cool collaborative album, then accidentally left the masters in the sun for like a week. The other Paw Tracks stuff is neat but not as special as that record. Before Today's cool. Mature Themes is baaad ("Only In My Dreams" aside).
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »

I've given a little listen--but by no means a statistically viable sample--since posting earlier. Specifically, I listened to some of Mature Themes and what I assumed I had listened to before, The Doldrums. I'd disagree with both Gabo and Loaf: I think it's way off to say the guy has "no discernible musical talent" (though to be fair, his post was in reference to a live show, and not a recording), but probably similarly far off to say he's one of the greatest of all time or that his songs and voice are amazing.

I think he's got a gift for melody and a habit of undermining it for effect, with an overload of irony. So anyway, my only barely informed opinion is that he's not someone I care to listen to much. So I'll exit the thread gracefully.

His voice is amazing.  Listen to Round and Round, how he croons "it's always the same, as always, scared and tongue tied..." makes my jitter. Intoxicating...

My first post was of course a hyperbolic joke but I really think he's one of the coolest musicians working today. An absolute original.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:37:27 PM by Gabo » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »

His voice is amazing. 
We certainly have differing ears. While I'm all for original, weird music, this case isn't one of 'em. I don't like the arrangements on some songs, if ignore the (dire) vocals. So obviously, it's not my cup of OJ.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »

Saw him open for Os Mutantes back in 2010 in Philly. Awesome show.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
mysticmoon1993
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

I haven't heard too much by him but what I have heard, I enjoy a lot. Reminds me of really obscure 60s psychedelic pop. I think of him as a modern R Stevie Moore. My favourite song is probably Round and Round-- there's something so joyous and ecstatic about it. It's infectious. Here it is, if anyone wants to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLqAu4s-_s
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:15:24 PM by mysticmoon1993 » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »

I've only listened to his latest, pom pom, and it's decent if completely twisted in many spots. "Put Your Number in My Phone" is the obvious highlight for me, although all of the first half is very good.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »

I registered on this board just so I could reply to this thread.  Grin

I have been a big fan of both Ariel Pink and the Beach Boys for years so I was very happy to see this thread on here.
I have seen both Ariel Pink and Brian Wilson perform live. I listen to their music on a regular basis, especially lately.  On a recent trip to Los Angeles, they provided the soundtrack of me driving between taco shops and cups of coffee.

There are some major generational, stylistic, and conceptual differences between these artists, but I make a direct connection between the two and like them for a lot of the same reasons.

There is a direct lineage of a certain type of California creative rock-n-roll songwriting musician that Starts with Brian Wilson and goes through people like Beck and bands like Pavement, but more specifically to what Jason Lytle was trying to do with Grandaddy and what Ariel Pink has been doing more recently.

Ariel Pink is more shocking pop-culture focused, and overtly borrows sounds and musical passages from the works of others. He gets compared to Frank Zappa for his humor and wacky songs. In his early lo-fi bedroom recording days, there wasn't much of a comparison between him and Brian Wilson. However, he has evolved. He's been doing this for 20 years and a few albums ago, when he made the leap from cassette four-track to studio recordings, his production skyrocketed.

There is more to Ariel Pink than gets conveyed by the pitchfork articles that focus on his controversial twitter posts mocking madonna. He's a pop savant with an amazing ear for melody and arrangement. His work continues to get richer with each release. It's rare for someone in the indie rock world to keep putting out such vital music without leaning on their own cliches.
I was a huge fan of Grandaddy since before they ever put out an album. Jason Lytle fancied himself a Jeff Lynne/Brian Wilson type creator of studio albums. He tried his best with The Sophtware Slump, but ran out of steam. Since then, he's unfortunately recycled the same harmonies, stock chord changes, and synth sound effects.
Luckily, down in LA, some obsessive force has driven a trashy art dude with a very different image to continue on this tradition with unyielding focus and drive.

If you can look past the schtick, his instinct for composition, arrangement, and melody shows a level of brilliance that very few people in the modern rock-n-roll world can touch. Ariel Pink has a huge pop music vocabulary at his command and somehow uses it in ways that are always distinctly his own, no matter who he is stealing from. 

Picture Me Gone off PomPom has a distinctly later Brian Wilson vocal melody.
My favorite Ariel Pink Beach Boys reference is the ultra lo-fi absurd track Schnitzel Boogie off Mature Themes. The long outro which hauntingly repeats "schnitzel!" over and over bothered a friend of mine for being obnoxious, but I heard it as a direct nod to the beach boys. He just managed to absurdly squeeze it in there in a most unexpected way that would obviously not appeal to a traditional/conventional beach boys fan.  It's like Brian Wilson's never ending Shortnin' Bread. He lets the unhinged madness have it's own moment.

To paraphrase something a good friend of mine recently said, Brian Wilson and Ariel Pink are both brilliant, emotionally unstable, introverted California guys who spend a lot of time in the recording studio to make really great albums.
What they have in common with me is that I never get tired of listening to their albums. They put me in a good mood. They are dreamers and they share the ability to transmit a sense of wonder in the musical universe they create in their songs and on their albums.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx