gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:40:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Most Forgotten Beach Boy: Ricky Fataar  (Read 5276 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »

Of all the official members of the Beach Boys, Ricky has got to be the most forgotten. Both he and Blondie were in the Beach Boys during an era of great live shows, but relatively low key popularity. And it was only like two years. But because Blondie was more upfront in the band (physically as a guitarist) and because he sang lead on the hit "Sail On, Sailor," he is better remembered than Ricky.

People tend to dub David Marks with this distinction, but Ricky is clearly more forgotten in Beach Boy history.  I hardly ever even see a quote from him.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »

Of all the official members of the Beach Boys, Ricky has got to be the most forgotten. Both he and Blondie were in the Beach Boys during an era of great live shows, but relatively low key popularity. And it was only like two years. But because Blondie was more upfront in the band (physically as a guitarist) and because he sang lead on the hit "Sail On, Sailor," he is better remembered than Ricky.

People tend to dub David Marks with this distinction, but Ricky is clearly more forgotten in Beach Boy history.  I hardly ever even see a quote from him.
Ricky was still in the Beach Boys when the Endless Summer LP was #1 on the national charts. So he was there when the band was "back on top" so to speak. But other than your "low key popularity" comment, i agree with everything else you said. As you said quotes are rare... he doesn't talk about the Beach Boys much because it would seem he doesn't really care much. He did say some very nice things about Dennis when I met him about a decade ago, but other than that he was very "no comment" about the Beach Boys in general.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »

Ricky was still in the Beach Boys when the Endless Summer LP was #1 on the national charts. So he was there when the band was "back on top" so to speak. But other than your "low key popularity" comment, i agree with everything else you said. As you said quotes are rare... he doesn't talk about the Beach Boys much because it would seem he doesn't really care much. He did say some very nice things about Dennis when I met him about a decade ago, but other than that he was very "no comment" about the Beach Boys in general.

Hi Jon. I agree. Also, I really generalized Ricky's time period in the band. I know he was around during the initial craze for Endless Summer. And categorizing the entire period of Blondie/Ricky as "low key popularity" was not fair either, as I know they had quite an audience then too. But I guess I meant their mainstream popularity in 1972 was not at quite the level it was in 1966, or 1975 for that matter. But thanks for commenting, Jon.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »

I'd love to see Ricky in the next possible Beach Boys reunion (and Blondie) behind the drumkit again. Wish they both participated in the C50 reunion, that would have been awesome   Smokin
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »

Yes, it'd be nice to see Stig turn up at some kind of reunion.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »

I'd love to see Ricky in the next possible Beach Boys reunion (and Blondie) behind the drumkit again. Wish they both participated in the C50 reunion, that would have been awesome   Smokin

I'd love to hear Ricky on the drums live, but for my money, John Cowsill kicked all sorts of ass on that c50 tour.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

Yeah, he is the most forgotten Rutle, too. Barry has kept a high profile with his endless All-Womm tours, and of course Dirk still fills stadiums around the globe, playing old Rutles and Punk Floyd songs.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »

As you said quotes are rare... he doesn't talk about the Beach Boys much because it would seem he doesn't really care much. He did say some very nice things about Dennis when I met him about a decade ago, but other than that he was very "no comment" about the Beach Boys in general.

Blondie and Ricky downplay the Beach Boys in a lot of their interviews. They didn't really consider themselves members of the band, more as hired hands.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:24:38 AM »

Didn't he play with Brian a few years back - like a guest spot with Jackson Browne, maybe? Wasn't he at one of the Carl charity walks (or was that just Blondie)?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:46 AM »

It's currently highly probable that the next full-on "reunion" will be a non-musical occasion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »

Didn't he play with Brian a few years back - like a guest spot with Jackson Browne, maybe? Wasn't he at one of the Carl charity walks (or was that just Blondie)?

Both Ricky and Blondie were at the Carl Wilson Walk in 2000 and they performed SOS and sounded great. Brian stood on the sidelines and seemed to be really into their performance. I have it on video. Maybe I'll upload it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:56:50 AM »

It's currently highly probable that the next full-on "reunion" will be a non-musical occasion.

I vote for a pie fight. Including alcohol and the respective backing bands. Let's work through some things!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »

Didn't he play with Brian a few years back

Yeah, he played with Brian and Al in 2007 IIRC for the encore (Surfin' USA). He's playing with Bonnie Raitt or was back then.

Carl cited Ricky as his favorite musician in at least one but I believe even two interviews. Didn't he also play flute for "Sloop John B.", steel guitar and a few other instruments?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »

I would definitely read a Beach Boys Anthology book! Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »

Yeah, he played with Brian and Al in 2007 IIRC for the encore (Surfin' USA).

Where was this?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »

Yeah, he played with Brian and Al in 2007 IIRC for the encore (Surfin' USA).

Where was this?

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/1-28-07.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »

That's funny. I was at that show - Pet Sounds was played in its entirety along with other songs. I took my cousin and we had unobstructed views near the end of the aisle. I remember when Ricky was introduced. He had a 40's style hat on and a long coat as I recall. Or long shirt. Anyway, I remember after he was introduced he kind of stood in the back near the drummer. I don't ever remember him sitting down and playing the drums on any of the songs.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »

How's that, then?

I don't know about anybody else, but my idea of the afterlife includes musical instruments, concerts, the whole ball of wax.

Argal, I'm quite certain the next reunion will be a most musical occasion.

angel
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »

I have heard, from someone who met him in a studio, that Ricky doesn't exactly exude happy memories/reactions when asked about his association with the BBs. There was some verbal grumbling about bad deals/financial treatment.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

Court?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:37:25 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:37:04 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 12:48:48 AM »

....and Beach Boys funerals more so I would hope.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »

Ricky was awesome.  He really brought the Boys up to date with his terrific drumming, both live and on record.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »

That's funny. I was at that show - Pet Sounds was played in its entirety along with other songs. I took my cousin and we had unobstructed views near the end of the aisle. I remember when Ricky was introduced. He had a 40's style hat on and a long coat as I recall. Or long shirt. Anyway, I remember after he was introduced he kind of stood in the back near the drummer. I don't ever remember him sitting down and playing the drums on any of the songs.

Hm... Obviously I wasn't there. But since the day the show was reported on this message board I heard Ricky played and I had no reason to not believe it. But as said, I wasn't there, you was.

There was a backstage picture of Brian, Al and Ricky online but I couldn't find it again.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx