gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:12:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine's Mystery Gibson Guitar, 1966: Solved! Photos/info/neat connection  (Read 5046 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »

Background: Photos were posted here last week from the Bill Yerkes book showing Al Jardine onstage with the Beach Boys at Ithaca College, 11/22/1966. Al was playing a guitar which wasn't one of his usual stage guitars, what appeared to be a Gibson J-160E, sometimes known as the "John Lennon" model because he was seen with one throughout the 60's, but the model itself was a somewhat regular presence on stage in the wake of Beatlemania.

Here is the link to that original thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=7a0306feb64a09a3be964f32918dacdf&topic=15162.0

At first glance I thought it was a Gibson J-160E, which in itself was unusual because Al was not known to have owned one, nor did he play one on stage based on the more common photos. THEN, looking closer, it wasn't even a "standard" J-160E. There were two pickups where the stock model only had one, there were four knobs where the stock model had two, and there was a selector switch under the pickguard which the stock model did not have at all.

I went fishing for info, guitar sites and forums and the like, and found nothing. So I ran a theory I had hinted at in the original thread: Perhaps Al had borrowed it from another act they were touring with at the time.

That nailed it.

The guitar belonged to Chad And Jeremy, who were on tour with the Beach Boys in November and December 1966, and if the Nov. 22 date is correct this Ithaca show was during a one-show-per-night run on the tour that week.

Here are the cool trivia and connection parts of the story.

Chad And Jeremy at that time were touring behind a few folky-acoustic hits, but were also part of the so-called British Invasion bands, so the folk side was also complimented by a pretty flashy stage setup with custom guitars, and soon Fender "Dual Showman" amps with a Union Jack graphic on the speaker cabinets.

Among their guitars was a Gibson doubleneck electric, the kind made most famous by Jimmy Page playing live with Led Zep throughout the 70's and also by the Eagles when they'd play Hotel California on stage and Don Felder would be seen playing one as well.

In 1966, these Gibson doublenecks were very, very expensive for the time and were only available by custom order, which means unless someone traded one in or the shop owner ordered one, you could not walk into a random music shop and buy one. Chad And Jeremy were one of the only live acts in 1966 to be seen playing one of these Gibsons regularly.

So we know they had dealt with Gibson with custom orders, and other photos show both the J-160E with the unusual features AND another J-160E style guitar with even more radical features and a Western-style cutaway...more on that to come.

***I'm convinced my theory was correct on both counts. First, Al Jardine was simply playing one of Chad And Jeremy's guitars in the photo. Second, the guitar itself was most likely a custom order from Gibson, because as photos will soon show, the band had at least *three* rare Gibsons on stage in 1966 which would only have been available through custom order.

Now here is the interesting connection that extends this into the 1970's. Probably common knowledge for some, but the photos bring it home even more.

One of the musicians playing with Chad And Jeremy on that 1966 tour with the BB's, and it seems he was also acting in something of a bandleader/musical director kind of role too, was James Guercio, also known as Jim or Jimmy Guercio.

Yes, that same Jim Guercio who would find success producing the Buckinghams, then Chicago, then eventually getting the whole Caribou operation up and running and working with the Beach Boys in the mid 70's.

So on this 1966 tour, notice in the photos that Guercio is seen playing a Hofner violin bass (the McCartney bass), as well as a really unique Gibson acoustic-electric with features similar to several of their famous guitars, again what looks like a custom order from Gibson.

It's always neat to see these photos from when Guercio was just working his way up, touring with an opening act for the Beach Boys, and still actively playing on stage. Then he goes on to work with the Beach Boys directly a decade later.

Notice on these photos as well the backline of amps. It's the same line of Fender Showman amps that are seen behind the Beach Boys in the Ithaca photo.

First photos are of Al and the Boys, next Chad And Jeremy shown playing the guitar Al borrowed and the doubleneck Gibson, and then Guercio on bass and guitar on stage.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »

That guitar is almost as big as Al is.  And Guercio doesn't look much different than his days on stage with The Boys, circa 1974.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »

Guitarfool2002, great investigative work as always!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »

Guitarfool2002, great investigative work as always!

Thank you! I get really psyched when this kind of thing comes together. It started out wondering what Al was doing with a guitar he wasn't known to have owned, and outside those photos one which I had never seen him play live or in-studio. Then the guitar's oddities and unusual features became an issue...asked around a bit, got nothing substantial back (so far) . Then just this morning I thought of that theory I had, what if he had borrowed it from someone else on the tour? Who was on the tour...Chad And Jeremy. Check a few of their websites...within a few seconds there was the mysterious Al Jardine Gibson guitar...owned and played by Chad And Jeremy in the 60's.

Bingo!  Grin

From the photos of both Chad And Jeremy and their then-backing musician Jim Guercio, it looks safe to assume they ordered "matching" custom Gibson acoustic-electrics for their stage shows. Those were custom guitars with custom features, yet they both "match" each other for the most part. It had to have been a custom order, i wouldn't doubt the order was placed and the guitars made as a pair on the same production run rather than bought as individual models. But that's pure speculation.

The bonus for me was finding those great candid shots of Jim Guercio. I had never seen them until today, and I can pretty much say I always knew him most as a producer even in the 60's going back to his amazing work with The Buckinghams, but had never seen or noticed a photo of him actually performing with a group from this era (66-67). That was a really neat find, totally accidental and a cool surprise.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Both of those J160e's are cool but I really like the one with the single cutaway best

Chad and Jeremy were on a Patty Duke Show Episode I dont know if they were playing these guitars...but I can check
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:47:19 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

nope, Gibsons but just one neck pickup not these customized guitars.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »

Thanks for the info about C&J appearing on Patty Duke's show! What year was that appearance? These custom guitars were an odd case to begin with - I knew the duo were kind of known for playing these J-160E guitars in the 60's, of course after the Beatles made popular and very visible this guitar model which really wasn't very highly regarded or even popular among players until Beatlemania, yet until the Al Jardine connection I never took notice they even had these customized versions. Even on some album covers and other notable appearances, you'd see the standard J-160E with C&J.

That one with the cutaway is a freakin' awesome looking guitar, isn't it? It has the more ornate bridge like the jumbo SJ-200 acoustics, it has that great cutaway which looks like the same pattern and cut as the 175, the standard Gibson jazzbox of the era, and it's just a really cool design. There were some early precursors of the J-160E that were supposedly trying for the "acoustic Les Paul" vibe with the shape and concept, but they never took off, and then the more workable J-160E wasn't a smashing commercial success at all until Lennon and Harrison made them iconic. And some even said the way John and George came to order and own those guitars may have been an accident, or a case of getting something close to the models they actually had in mind when they ordered them. I'll have to confirm that, perhaps it's another myth that has since been busted.  Smiley

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »

Chad and Jeremy were on a Patty Duke Show Episode I dont know if they were playing these guitars...but I can check

I remember (cough) when Chad & Jeremy appeared on Batman with The Catwoman, Julie Newmar! Shocked http://youtu.be/biH_oM4v-D0
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

I remember (cough) when Chad & Jeremy appeared on Batman with The Catwoman, Julie Newmar! Shocked http://youtu.be/biH_oM4v-D0

Oh, hell yeah!  Cheesy Thanks for posting that clip - and notice he's playing the "Al Jardine" guitar too! Not to mention they have the same backline of Fender Showman amps as in the '66 photos. Cool stuff.

The question "Ginger or Maryann?" is a valid one. For me, maybe "Cinnamon, Dana, or Casey?" For others, "Marcia or Jan?", "Jill or Kelly?", etc.

But the ultimate one is "Eartha Kitt or Julie Newmar?"  Cool

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »

Oh, hell yeah!  Cheesy Thanks for posting that clip - and notice he's playing the "Al Jardine" guitar too! Not to mention they have the same backline of Fender Showman amps as in the '66 photos. Cool stuff.

The question "Ginger or Maryann?" is a valid one. For me, maybe "Cinnamon, Dana, or Casey?" For others, "Marcia or Jan?", "Jill or Kelly?", etc.

But the ultimate one is "Eartha Kitt or Julie Newmar?"  Cool

Nah....  the Ultimate one is " Marilyn, Diane or Barbara?"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:56:25 AM »

Thanks for that cool info!!

Among their guitars was a Gibson doubleneck electric, the kind made most famous by Jimmy Page playing live with Led Zep throughout the 70's and also by the Eagles when they'd play Hotel California on stage and Don Felder would be seen playing one as well.

In 1966, these Gibson doublenecks were very, very expensive for the time and were only available by custom order, which means unless someone traded one in or the shop owner ordered one, you could not walk into a random music shop and buy one. Chad And Jeremy were one of the only live acts in 1966 to be seen playing one of these Gibsons regularly.

There also was a version that had a bass (6-string) instead of a second guitar, the Gibson EBS-1250 Double Bass. Presley used one of them in his '66 movie "Spinout" and various publicity pics.
Find out more about the guitar and it's history here:

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep65EBS1250.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »

A side question to the guitar itself, but were either Chad or Jeremy known as accomplished guitarists, or mostly rhythm strummers relying on back-up musicians for the more complex parts (assuming there were any)? I listened to them a lot back in the 60's but wasn't paying attention to that kind of thing then.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »

Thanks for the info about C&J appearing on Patty Duke's show! What year was that appearance? These custom guitars were an odd case to begin with - I knew the duo were kind of known for playing these J-160E guitars in the 60's, of course after the Beatles made popular and very visible this guitar model which really wasn't very highly regarded or even popular among players until Beatlemania, yet until the Al Jardine connection I never took notice they even had these customized versions. Even on some album covers and other notable appearances, you'd see the standard J-160E with C&J.

That one with the cutaway is a freakin' awesome looking guitar, isn't it? It has the more ornate bridge like the jumbo SJ-200 acoustics, it has that great cutaway which looks like the same pattern and cut as the 175, the standard Gibson jazzbox of the era, and it's just a really cool design. There were some early precursors of the J-160E that were supposedly trying for the "acoustic Les Paul" vibe with the shape and concept, but they never took off, and then the more workable J-160E wasn't a smashing commercial success at all until Lennon and Harrison made them iconic. And some even said the way John and George came to order and own those guitars may have been an accident, or a case of getting something close to the models they actually had in mind when they ordered them. I'll have to confirm that, perhaps it's another myth that has since been busted.  Smiley

This is the Air Date.

The Patty Duke Show #59     2-23      1059      17/Feb/65   Patty Pits Wits -- Two Brits Hits

ALSO - Looks like C&J made it on two Batman episodes The Cats Meow / Bat's Kow Tow.

63     2-29      9737-1    14/Dec/66   The Cat's Meow (1)
64     2-30      9737-2    15/Dec/66   The Bat's Kow Tow (2)

See here at 0:17 for a still of the double neck and J-160 (headstock in the way hard to indentify the acoustic)  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XKOLvYOHs

Necessity knows no law
Chalk n Numbers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »

Great info, great detective work. Fascinating stuff!

Just a quick side note: as you're probably aware, Guercio also penned an original (and very good) song for Chad & Jeremy's Of Cabbages & Kings LP: "I'll Get Around to It When and If I Can." So that's another dimension of his relationship with C&J.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx