gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:36:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate What I Really Want From Christmas
5 - 12 (17.1%)
4 - 24 (34.3%)
3 - 23 (32.9%)
2 - 4 (5.7%)
1 - 6 (8.6%)
0 - 1 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I Really Want For Christmas  (Read 66163 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 03:38:23 AM »

Have to say AGD -- I love ya, but your affection for the JT-helmed JTTW always bemuses me. It's just so -- eh. A bland synth wash backing, slurry autotuned Brian vocals, and a general air of slapped-together-in-an-afternoon laziness. I mean, no one could bother to look up the second verse of the song? Really?

Hey... what can I say ? I can picture Brian singing it to his kids when they were babies. I can't visualise him shouting the 2005 tag at them (OK, actually I can, but you get my point). World would be very boring iffn we agreed on everything.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »

Actually, that's pretty sweet AGD. Maybe I had ya all wrong ...  Grin

I will say, I dig the little wordless vocal part in it (which subsequently popped up as a new flute part in the remade DLHKSAA), and the couple of times the song transitions to that are cool.

But I always find myself trying to correct Brian on the second verse -- "He rules the world / with truth and grace" Come on! Doesn't everyone know that? Actually, it just strikes me -- maybe JT just pasted the first-verse vocals on a second time to make the song longer ... ?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 02:58:40 AM »

But I always find myself trying to correct Brian on the second verse -- "He rules the world / with truth and grace" Come on! Doesn't everyone know that? Actually, it just strikes me -- maybe JT just pasted the first-verse vocals on a second time to make the song longer ... ?

Have to say, they sound pretty identical to me. Wouldn't be the first time, nor the last. Intro to "HCWSBD" is nothing more than the vocal tracks from the middle of the song isolated out and stitched on the front of the song. And, of course, Wild HoneyGrin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »

I finally bought this album in October. The new originals are pretty good-even very good, and yes, The Man with all the toys is better than the undercooked original. That said, it does not bring the X-mas spirit to me, overall. the song that moves me the most is, well, JTTW. I simply LOVE Brian's vocal on that, I think it is by far his best(on this album). It's not shouty, it sounds natural and tender, like he was really trying.

I know it's a commonly voiced sentiment, but hearing Brian's band harmonizing...it's just not a particularly nice sound compared to the Beach Boys. I was sort of shocked. I think they did a pretty good job on SMiLE and TLOS, on this one there's something very brash and messy about the harmonies. Still prefer it to Wall of Brian treatment ala GIOMH.

Overall a bit disappointing. I give it a 3, but if I weren't a fan it would have had to have been a 2.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:27:45 PM by lance » Logged
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

Hi all,

I have What I Really Want For Christmas.  It is magnificent!!!  What talent Brian has!!1  It wouldn't be Christmas without listening to this CD. 
KDS
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2015, 05:49:48 AM »

Listening to this album a few more times this Christmas season, it has really grown on me. 

I rated the album a four.  To me, it's not quite the Christmas classic that is TBB Christmas Album, but it's got some great moments. 

I like the extended Man With All the Toys.  But, the new version of Little Saint Nick seemed a little unnecessary.  Same with Auld Lang Syne. 

Much like TBB Christmas, I like the originals the best - the title track, Christmasy, and On Christmas Day are my favorites. 

I also like the arrangement of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.  A lot of the standards are pleasant, but this one really stands out to me. 

KDS
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »

I give it 5 because it deserves 5 & no less. I advise my friends to hear this album on New Year's eve. They said they liked it few tracks in. Well, at least they're honest.

KDS, are you familiar with Carnie & Wendy's Christmas album? Whose voice do you like the best? What favorite song?

I'm not really familiar with Carnie and Wendy's Christmas album.  I've only heard Dear Santa, and while the song isn't bad, it just doesn't do a lot for me. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

I've heard Carnie and Wendy's album, it's pretty nice. Carnie has a nice, warm, lower voice, Wendy has the more girly voice - I think they sound great together. Haven't listened to either album in awhile, though. The title cut of WIRWFC is one of my favorite BW tracks, though - if I was to make a CDR of his best solo stuff, that would be on it.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »

I give it a four. I get a warm feeling whenever I listen to it and when it comes (unexpectedly) on the radio it makes whatever preceded it sound crap and phony.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »

It's 97 degrees outside, so I put this album on. No, it didn't cool me down. The 2 original songs standout for me. I would put them both on a solo best of BW comp.
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »

I really love the remakes of Little Saint Nick and The Man With All The Toys. Even though, they sound a bit different from the original.

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx