gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:31:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963  (Read 8880 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »

LEE
Thanks for the kind words and support. I think the book will share much new information and photographs.  And some really cool early memorabilia.  And yes, as a veterinarian, you really can teach an old dog new tricks  Grin

DON
Thanks so much for reaching out -- I got your message and will be calling you very soon. It would be great to get together. I read and re-read every Add Some Music cover-to-cover while researching the book. Great timeless stuff. Still a joy to read today.  Thanks for all your pioneering work.

TIA (RangeRoverA1)
Thanks for your interest and for mentioning one of my favorite topics to discuss about the book -- the Morgans.

Yes, I am very happy to report that Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 will include professional portrait photographs of Hite and Dorinda Morgan. Beautiful quality.  Some of the many, many questions that motivated me to begin researching and writing the book was, "Who were Hite and Dorinda Morgan?  Where did they come from?  What were they like?  How did they meet Murry? What was the true story?  What happened to them after the Boys signed with Capitol?  What did they look like?"  Well, now we'll know.  I cannot post the photos here until the book is published.  But, soon. Thanks again for your interest and support! 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »

TIA (RangeRoverA1)
Thanks for your interest and for mentioning one of my favorite topics to discuss about the book -- the Morgans.

Yes, I am very happy to report that Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 will include professional portrait photographs of Hite and Dorinda Morgan. Beautiful quality.  Some of the many, many questions that motivated me to begin researching and writing the book was, "Who were Hite and Dorinda Morgan?  Where did they come from?  What were they like?  How did they meet Murry? What was the true story?  What happened to them after the Boys signed with Capitol?  What did they look like?"  Well, now we'll know.  I cannot post the photos here until the book is published.  But, soon. Thanks again for your interest and support! 
Ha, that was funny - my name isn't Tia, that's short for "Thanks in advance". Call me Mari 3D. Anyway, thanks for your answer, that's good news, I look forward to seeing their photos. And yes, this chapter in the BBs 'story is a curio, it was lost but now found with your help. Hopefully, the book is gonna come out soon.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:58 AM »

The Ritchie Valens Memorial Dance and Show on December 31, 1961, at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium is really a puzzle. I also was unable to find any promotional items or news coverage of this event.  Valens had passed away less than three years earlier and was still quite a legendary figure in the Chicano community in Los Angeles. So, why no publicity for a memorial show?  I began to wonder if it even took place, but it is mentioned in an early Beach Boys' concert program, Dorinda Morgan apparently mentioned it to Byron Preiss, and Mike has mentioned it in several interviews. Maybe it was organized quickly and relied on radio publicity only. 

Really looking forward to your book, Jim. 

Concerning the Ritchie Valens Memorial Dance and Show on Dec 31, 1961, Mike also mentioned it at the Dec. 3, 1971 Beach Boys concert at the Long Beach Arena, saying that the very first time the Beach Boys had appeared in concert happened right next door at the Long Beach Auditorium almost ten years earlier at a Ritchie Valens Memorial Concert on New Years Eve 1961.  I would agree that radio spots may well have been the main means of publicity.  Don't know if KFWB and/or KRLA surveys of the era featured ads, but if so it's possible an ad for the show may have appeared on one for more of those surveys.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

The more I read about it, the harder it is to wait to read it! Love the cover and (though this is clearly an egregrious crossing of historical eras...) I hope that you sell a million units...in January!!!  Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »

I'm excited about reading about the formation of the band. Read several different stories but now with so many of the old myths dispelled, it'll be nice to read the story with more correct information.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »

Just in from amazon:

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on July 30 2014 (Order# 026-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxx).

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

Murphy, James B. "Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963"
   Previous estimated arrival date: February 25 2015 - February 27 2015
   New estimated arrival date: February 24 2015 - February 26 2015

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »

Just in from amazon:

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on July 30 2014 (Order# 026-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxx).

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

OH, MY, GAWD. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »

Just in from amazon:

Hello,

OH, MY, GAWD. 
Time to break open the '58 Dom Perignon!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

I get very excitable.

You should have seen the mess.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print