gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:47:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963  (Read 8956 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »

I am happy to share the news that McFarland Book Publishers of Jefferson, North Carolina, has just announced my book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, in their Fall 2014 catalog of upcoming titles. McFarland is an independent publisher of academic and non-fiction books and its founder, Robert McFarland Franklin, enthusiastically embraced my proposal for a book examining the Beach Boys' origin story and early history.

Here is a link to the book and front cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Beach-1961-1963-James-Murphy/dp/0786473657/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406737810&sr=8-2&keywords=becoming+the+beach+boys

Let me know what you think of the cover!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:26:18 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, this is most excellent news !  Grin

Ordered. Cover is cool. Can't wait to pick holes in it.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:32:32 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »

So you're now a Paperback Writer, Jim?  Wouldn't mind a hard cover or even a soft cover, but an autographed paperback will do. Looking forward to it! Congrats!

By the way, I have that Pendleton shirt on the cover. I wear it proudly where ever I go.  Al Jardine told me a couple of years ago that he loaned David Marks his shirt for the Surfer Girl album cover photo shoot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:43:23 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

Looking forward to the book!

I've always wondered about those Pendleton shirts.  Do we know what happened to them all?  I saw an update of the Beach Boys Pendleton last month at a Pendleton outlet store and thought about buying it until I saw the price tag.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »

I am happy to share the news that McFarland Book Publishers of Jefferson, North Carolina, has just announced my book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, in their Fall 2014 catalog of upcoming titles. McFarland is an independent publisher of academic and non-fiction books and its founder, Robert McFarland Franklin, enthusiastically embraced my proposal for a book examining the Beach Boys' origin story and early history.

Here is a link to the book and front cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Beach-1961-1963-James-Murphy/dp/0786473657/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406737810&sr=8-2&keywords=becoming+the+beach+boys

Let me know what you think of the cover!

A perfect BBs Scenario!  A summer announcement of the Fall Catalog, not to be released until the Winter( and who knows how many delays in the meantime) 

Is $39.63 the price for an autogaphed copy?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »

Chris

For $39.63 you also get a mint promo and stock copy of "The Surfer Moon" by Bob & Sheri . . . signed by Brian.  And for an extra buck, I'll add a Murry signature under the Wilson's home address.  Grin

Andrew

I believe yours may be copy #001 -- thanks for the support!  As for poking holes, oh, I hope not . . . but, as with all things in Beach Boys Land, never say never. Tongue

Mikie

"Paperback Writer"  is still one of my favorite songs by that other group . . . although as a kid growing up with my transistor radio I swore they were singing "Piggyback Rider."  McFarland publishes very few hardcover books -- has to do with costs, paper stock, and photo image quality, but mainly cost.  McFarland is  a wonderful, eclectic independent publisher, and they have been great to work with . Check out their website. 

Bonnevillemariner

Yeah, a new Beach Boys' plaid Pendleton shirt can be a bit pricey.  They appear routinely on eBay usually in very "gently used" condition and you can snag them for a good price.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »

Congrats! Don't be surprised if I hit you up soon for a radio interview.  Smiley
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »

If the book's as good as the cover . . . . and I suspect it is . . . . it's a winner.

My sister and I had a little record player kind of like that during that same time. Played 78s, 45s, 33/13s and 16 (and a half?).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »

*In my best Cliff Clavin imitation*

Norm!  How ya been?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »

Sounds awesome...I'll be picking up a copy when it's out!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »

Ordered… looking forward. And congrats!

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:06 AM »

There can never be enough BBs books (or academic interest in them). Looking forward to it.

I am happy to share the news that McFarland Book Publishers of Jefferson, North Carolina, has just announced my book, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, in their Fall 2014 catalog of upcoming titles. [...]
What can you tell us about your writing process and research for this project? (Cover image looks good.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:33:54 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »

*In my best Cliff Clavin imitation*

Norm!  How ya been?

Keeping out of the line of fire, but I couldn't stay away forever!
JerseyGirl
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »

Looking forward to reading Becoming the Beach Boys.  I am also interested in reading about your writing process.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »

Congratulations Jim......

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind words and interest in Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, my forthcoming book about the band's origin story and early history to be published by McFarland Book Publishers.

Here's a link to McFarland's website page on the book with some additional information.

http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-7365-6

I hope folks enjoy the book, that it sheds some new light on the band's early history, and stirs some spirited discussion.   

And, like every new book about the band, a very big THANK YOU to every author, journalist, archivist, and film maker who has contributed to our understanding and appreciation of the Beach Boys.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:25 PM »

The book should be great!  It certainly remains the most mysterious period in the BBs career.  It really is amazing that not a single poster, flyer or mention in a local newspaper has ever turned up for the Dec 61 Long Beach show! (Except for the shoddy reproduction posters-that often have a picture of the BBs in 1964 on them). Or that no photo of the BBs MARK 1 (with Al before DM replaced him) has ever turned up.  As I've said many times-it is amazing how every minute of the Beatles lives is documented so well today.  We can precisely date every Beatles photo session to the day but documents on the early BBs movements are sparse.  Hopefully Jim's research uncovers more that Jon and I were unable to find (though we sure tried our best).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

Hmmmm...

That flyer needs some work: they never called themselves The Beach Boys (that was a big surprise), and I do believe one of them came from Ohio... but, as Jim had nothing to do with it, I'll pass.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

The book should be great!  It certainly remains the most mysterious period in the BBs career.  It really is amazing that not a single poster, flyer or mention in a local newspaper has ever turned up for the Dec 61 Long Beach show! (Except for the shoddy reproduction posters-that often have a picture of the BBs in 1964 on them). Or that no photo of the BBs MARK 1 (with Al before DM replaced him) has ever turned up.  As I've said many times-it is amazing how every minute of the Beatles lives is documented so well today.  We can precisely date every Beatles photo session to the day but documents on the early BBs movements are sparse.  Hopefully Jim's research uncovers more that Jon and I were unable to find (though we sure tried our best).

I recall seeing in an interview - with Alan's mom, I believe - that some were taken. Where are they now ? Some LA landfill, probably...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »

I recall seeing in an interview - with Alan's mom, I believe - that some were taken. Where are they now ? Some LA landfill, probably...

After all the time Jim physically spent on research in CA (some of it must have been in different landfills ) the pics are probably in Jim's book.

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »

Ian, thanks for the kind words and support. If folks enjoy my book half as much as I continue to enjoy your excellent, and still mind blowing, achievement, I will be very, very happy.     

The Ritchie Valens Memorial Dance and Show on December 31, 1961, at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium is really a puzzle. I also was unable to find any promotional items or news coverage of this event.  Valens had passed away less than three years earlier and was still quite a legendary figure in the Chicano community in Los Angeles. So, why no publicity for a memorial show?  I began to wonder if it even took place, but it is mentioned in an early Beach Boys' concert program, Dorinda Morgan apparently mentioned it to Byron Preiss, and Mike has mentioned it in several interviews. Maybe it was organized quickly and relied on radio publicity only.  [I respectfully contacted Preiss's widow in the hope Byron had some raw research material from the late 1970s that did not find a home in his book and might shed some new light on the early days].

I can't begin to tell you how hard I tried to find an early photograph of the original line-up with Al.  Hite Morgan reportedly had a photograph of them with Al, but it appears to have been lost to time.  I would imagine if any copies survived, one would have been in Audree's personal collection and unearthed during the 50th anniversary celebration.  Negatives were seldom kept in good condition back then and reprints were uncommon.  So, who knows, there may have been just one single print.  It seems unlikely it will ever surface. A fan photo of the original line-up performing has also never surfaced. The photograph of the band with David on the front cover of my book is from an event they played at a local high school in March 1962, just a few days after the Mardi Gras Costume Ball at the Bel-Air Bay Club in Pacific Palisades.  It's a cool posed photograph and when you see it up close you cannot help but think, "My God, they're so young!"

Yeah, I am in the process of having McFarland revise that marketing blurb about the band naming themselves the "Beach Boys."  Ouch!  After nearly a decade of research and writing, while keeping the lights on as a companion animal veterinarian, that kind of hurt my ears.  But, it's correct in the book  Grin

Chris, thanks for posting that IN CONCERT acetate. Cool piece. Would love to someday hear a better quality version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash." Probably not in my lifetime. They should have played a tape of that song at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony  LOL  Oh, by the way, while I was digging into some landfill in Scranton, PA, I came across a few dozen unusual booklets.  They're a little smudged, but would you be interested in one?  Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »

Oh, by the way, while I was digging into some landfill in Scranton, PA, I came across a few dozen unusual booklets.  They're a little smudged, but would you be interested in one?  Wink

Thanxx, but I have one without the smudges!   Grin

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 06:59:25 AM »

Congratulations Jim!  Looking forward to seeing what heretofore unknown / unpublished information you were able to dig up.  Sometimes you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Lee
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

Jim:  Super cool.  Love the cover, love the book idea.  I look forward to the recollections from that
school crossing guard I told you about--the one that junior-high Dennis was always hitting up.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »

This is great news indeed, I only want to specify - is there any photo of Hite+-Dorinda Morgan in your upcoming book? If so, will you post it here sometime, Mr. Murphy? Tia.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx