gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:12:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview...  (Read 44067 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

Good questions.  He has really not talked about his relationship with Mike, but rather talks about what he considers to be Mike's best vocals.......If I recall it was "That's Not Me" that was probably his favorite.

I don't know what would happen if Mike called him up for dinner; if he feels like going he does, and if not , he doesn't.....but having said that; all the negativity in these interviews is probably not helping the situation....this is my opinion only , not based on talking to Brian about it, because I haven't

Thanks for your always interesting comments Ray.

Can you comment on the current situation with VDP and Brian regarding VDP`s `release Brian!` tweet?

Nicko;

I have no freaking idea what VDP means in that message .
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »

Good questions.  He has really not talked about his relationship with Mike, but rather talks about what he considers to be Mike's best vocals.......If I recall it was "That's Not Me" that was probably his favorite.

I don't know what would happen if Mike called him up for dinner; if he feels like going he does, and if not , he doesn't.....but having said that; all the negativity in these interviews is probably not helping the situation....this is my opinion only , not based on talking to Brian about it, because I haven't

Can you comment on the current situation with VDP and Brian regarding VDP`s `release Brian!` tweet?

Nicko;

Van Dyke Parks
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »

Nicko;

Van Dyke Parks

I know who VDP is
Nicko1234
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »

Nicko;

Van Dyke Parks

Smiley

Sorry but I love this post.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

Van Dyke has tweeted that he and Brian don't talk anymore and he doesn't seem to know why. He has said other things, sometimes deleting them later. But the release Brian thing has been tweeted a couple of times.

There was a point where All said he was unable to contact Brian for many years. He also was not allowed to speak to Brian at the Hawthorne monument dedication. Of course , it could be Brian is the one not wanting contact, but maybe he does it in such a way that it looks like someone else is the one making him do it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »

Van Dyke and Brian's relationship has been fraught for decades, and I'm not sure they ever spent a lot of time together after the '60s. And Van Dyke is very aware of the business side of things. Just for example, before he agreed to help BW finish Smile, he insisted that Melinda fix his credits and publishing on the original Smile tunes. Now, this might just be a shrewd business move, but it's certainly not the action of someone who's solely interested in being Brian's friend.

Likewise, Orange Crate Art was great, but it wasn't a purely disinterested move on Van Dyke's part -- he knew he would get far more attention with a collaborative album that something he did on his own. And he didn't credit Brian for vocal arranging, which Brain did for most of the tunes on the record. He was then irked that TLOS didn't become a full-on collaboration between him and Brian.

I like Van Dyke and I sympathize with him in many respects. But he's clearly conflicted about his relationship with Brian -- and the money that could be involved -- and I'm assuming he doesn't like dealing with Melinda. And if he puts off a vibe like that, I suspect Brian is more than happy to keep his distance.

As for Al's comments, he may well have been talking about Brian's years with Landy. Or perhaps, as you say, Brian may have preferred to keep his distance and blame others. The Carlin book has plenty of examples of this from throughout Brian's career and life.
Nicko1234
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »

Van Dyke and Brian's relationship has been fraught for decades, and I'm not sure they ever spent a lot of time together after the '60s. And Van Dyke is very aware of the business side of things. Just for example, before he agreed to help BW finish Smile, he insisted that Melinda fix his credits and publishing on the original Smile tunes. Now, this might just be a shrewd business move, but it's certainly not the action of someone who's solely interested in being Brian's friend.

Likewise, Orange Crate Art was great, but it wasn't a purely disinterested move on Van Dyke's part -- he knew he would get far more attention with a collaborative album that something he did on his own. And he didn't credit Brian for vocal arranging, which Brain did for most of the tunes on the record. He was then irked that TLOS didn't become a full-on collaboration between him and Brian.

I like Van Dyke and I sympathize with him in many respects. But he's clearly conflicted about his relationship with Brian -- and the money that could be involved -- and I'm assuming he doesn't like dealing with Melinda. And if he puts off a vibe like that, I suspect Brian is more than happy to keep his distance.

As for Al's comments, he may well have been talking about Brian's years with Landy. Or perhaps, as you say, Brian may have preferred to keep his distance and blame others. The Carlin book has plenty of examples of this from throughout Brian's career and life.

This was a long time after the Landy years.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

Mike had a problem with the grammys, he had a problem with the shows, the dates, he had a problems with TWGMTR, He had problems with Brian's people, the list goes on.

I remember the picture of the thank you dinner with Mike and Bruce absent. Mike can get teary eyed and thank his "Cousin Brian" all he wants, at the end of the day he is almost certainly the one creating problems, at the end of the day he always is.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »

Brian and Van Dyke were friends in the 1970's. They hung out together and partied. He has said he asked Brian to be on OCA to help Brian to do music again. Van was in Brian's wedding party when he married Melinda (best man?). Van Dyke seems hurt about their recent falling out. I doubt it has anything to do with money. He had been very complimentary towards Melinda in the past.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »

Mike had a problem with the grammys, he had a problem with the shows, the dates, he had a problems with TWGMTR, He had problems with Brian's people, the list goes on.

I remember the picture of the thank you dinner with Mike and Bruce absent. Mike can get teary eyed and thank his "Cousin Brian" all he wants, at the end of the day he is almost certainly the one creating problems, at the end of the day he always is.

How on Earth could Mike have faced the people at that dinner, knowing that there was so much unresolved stuff that was surely in the air? Where his motives could be questioned, where he'd have to face the music in some respect? There's no way Mike Love could have attended. These guys don't have communication skills.

To put himself in a position where he could be on the spot like that, it would have been the most awkward dinner ever for him. I cannot even imagine the mixed emotions and bittersweet ambiance must have been in the air for everyone who was at that dinner, especially knowing Mike's stunt absence doubtlessly had to be for this very reason.  Is it any wonder that Brian wasn't at the Ella Awards?  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:22:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »

You might be right but let's beware of making Mike the go-to bad guy for "creating problems" anytime he takes issue with ....... other problems that aren't his doing .

We've kind of been doing this for how many decades now?

At some point we have to dig a little deeper.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »

Brian and Van Dyke were friends in the 1970's. They hung out together and partied.

Those two sentences don't have much to do with each other.

He has said he asked Brian to be on OCA to help Brian to do music again.

He might have said that, and yet Brian had recorded one album a year or two before (Sweet Insanity) and was in the middle of writing and recording dozens of tracks with Andy Paley. Doesn't withstand the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Van was in Brian's wedding party when he married Melinda (best man?).

Best man was Carl, I'm fairly certain. Don't recall reading that VDP was there.

Van Dyke seems hurt about their recent falling out. I doubt it has anything to do with money.

He seems bitter. And how would you know?

He had been very complimentary towards Melinda in the past.

When she agreed to change the royalty rates and credits to Smile songs.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:35 PM »

You might be right but let's beware of making Mike the go-to bad guy for "creating problems" anytime he takes issue with ....... other problems that aren't his doing .

So, what ... other problems are we talking about, Pinder?

I don't have any problems digging deeper, so let's say what those problems are and who might be causing them.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »

So, what ... other problems are we talking about, Pinder?

I don't have any problems digging deeper, so let's say what those problems are and who might be causing them.

I'll stick with vague, Manson-like hints and riddles for the moment....

Whenever someone does attempt to speak of these "other problems" around here, it's bloodshed.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »

Any comments about `Brian` always seem to be more about his people than the man himself. And I guess there have been numerous others over the past several years who have had issues working with them and have moved in and out of favour.

Brian uses the people around him to control who he interacts with. It is his choice.

He has a complicated life, but he's no vegetable, and when he wants stuff he generally makes it known.

And as for "his people" -- once again, who are they? You have Melinda, who is his wife and who might be expected to take an interest (and is far from the only rock star spouse to manage her husband's career). And then you have ... hmm ...

Well, there's Jean Seivers, who is his publicist.

David Leaf isn't there.

Joe Thomas is there, but I doubt he wants to stick around for years and years. He's also not working in the studio with Brian these days, either.

So, Nicko, who are the people? Are we talking about Melinda? And if that's the case, let's just say that Brian's wife rubs some people the wrong way. It would probably be more accurate, and sound less conspiratorial.

yes he is

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »

Whatever happened to the follow-up question? Like this last interview, the statement is made that Brian is being "controlled"...then you ask a follow-up: "Who is controlling him?"...or "What exactly are they controlling?"...

And much like happened here a lot in the past months, someone makes that charge of Brian being controlled, or of Brian's people doing this or that...the simple question is asked: "Who are these people?"...and no one seems to know.

Everyone knows Brian is under control...yet the people controlling him cannot be ID'ed. But there are managers, agents, PR staff, travel staff...the same business structure a touring musician or artist has making certain decisions and handling business the artist doesn't do, including Mike.

Another follow up:

The statement is made that "Brian's people" or a variation thereof are somehow tearing Mike down.

Simple follow-up: "Who is doing this, and where is it being done?"

***Someone please find me an interview or a public statement of recent years where Brian has spoken negatively about Mike.***

And the ultimate follow-up: "Who are your people, Mike?"

This is getting so g******n tedious. I finally caved in and read this interview, as I was avoiding it, figuring it was more of the same that we keep getting.  But then I read this nugget ; that Brian is controlled; this time by being given prescribed medication . So apparently some of the better doctors on the planet are in on this shadow conspiracy And that Brian's people are tearing down Mike. I will paraphrase Guitarfool....show me the recent interview or statement from Brian saying anything negative about Mike .

I believe the Beach Boys C50 played 73 dates; I went to 20-25 of them ; I cant remember all of them; all US , except the final two shows in London. Melinda Wilson attended the first 3 , I am certain; she was at the Beacon in NY for two shows there , the Hollywood Bowl and the next night; then she attended the last two nights in London.  So she attended roughly a little over 10 per cent of the C50 shows; so the other 88% or so of the C50 tour , who was "controlling" Brian and keeping him from Mike ?  Can anybody identify the "controllers" ? There was all sorts of opportunity , every night of that tour for Mike and Brian to get together ; how about at catering , every night...as I said I was at 20-25 of the C50 shows; I was in catering at all of them....so was everyone else in the band and crew....not once did I see Mike and Brian sit together , or for either of them to initiate a dialogue with each other.  Their respective dressing rooms were usually adjacent; within 15-20 feet of each other......Melinda Wilson wasn't there , so she wasn't keeping them apart; Jeff Foskett sure as hell wasn't keeping them apart....There was certainly no animosity between them , and ample opportunity to have time together, but it didn't ever happen ; at least not that I saw when I was there. There was even one last opportunity at the end of C50 in London.  Brian and Melinda held a thank you dinner for all the band and crew at an Italian restaurant in Knightsbridge. There would have been one final opportunity for Brian and Mike to sit down  and talk things out over a bowl of pasta , but unfortunately Mike and Bruce had a prior commitment and couldn't attend.....no "controllers " kept them apart there either.

I don't know what the end game is here for Mike in all these interviews with the constant rehash of Brian's long ago excessive recreational drug use ;   is it the interviewer asking the "same old" questions or is it Mike wanting to rehash it ?

If I am in Brian Wilson's chair, I am fed up hearing about my past drug issues, especially as I have not touched a recreational drug in over 35 years;

I am fed up with hearing about how my dead brothers, whom I think about every day, made poor lifestyle choices (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes)which lead to their early deaths ;

I am fed up with hearing about how controlled I am ; first by non existent handlers , and now by medicine prescribed by ,arguably some of the best doctors in the world.  

Here is how controlled Brian is.

I had dinner last Wed night with Brian and Melinda up in Beverly Glen. I called Brian and it went something like this: Me : " Hi Brian , how are you ?  Brian: "doing ok , how about you ? " Me : "Great ; I am in town , do you want to have dinner tonight ?" Brian:" yeah , great. Where do you want to go ? " Me: " You pick "  Brian:" ok , meet me at my house at 5:30 ". The three of us went to dinner in Beverly Glen; nice time. Brian was in good spirits ; we talked about the new album and upcoming tour.  All was good. They played me the final mix of "Last Song"; all in all the same kind of evening I have had with him for the last almost 20 years.  

My point ?  I find it difficult ,if not impossible, to believe that it is easier for me to see Brian Wilson than it is for Mike Love to see him . Mike has the number; 9 times out of 10 , Brian will usually answer. It's just not that complicated.

Bravo Ray!

All the world's a stage and we are just merely players.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2014, 11:01:26 PM »

Brian and Van Dyke were friends in the 1970's. They hung out together and partied.

Those two sentences don't have much to do with each other.

He has said he asked Brian to be on OCA to help Brian to do music again.

He might have said that, and yet Brian had recorded one album a year or two before (Sweet Insanity) and was in the middle of writing and recording dozens of tracks with Andy Paley. Doesn't withstand the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Van was in Brian's wedding party when he married Melinda (best man?).

Best man was Carl, I'm fairly certain. Don't recall reading that VDP was there.

Van Dyke seems hurt about their recent falling out. I doubt it has anything to do with money.

He seems bitter. And how would you know?

He had been very complimentary towards Melinda in the past.

When she agreed to change the royalty rates and credits to Smile songs.

Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson opportunist? Okay.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2014, 02:09:12 AM »

Brian's just like any other married man - doing what the wife tells him to do.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »

Which, like most men, is probably what he wanted.

Under the thumb and over the moon.  Wink
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:58 AM »

Which, like most men, is probably what he wanted.

Under the thumb and over the moon.  Wink

42 years, 2 months and 5 days in, I AWAYS pay heed to my wife. Especially when she bought me a ticket to the C50 concert for my birthday.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »

One day I read this sentence, and I finally GOT Brian Wilson. Paraphrasing:

"When Brian tired of the Vosse Posse, he used Mike Love to move on".

What's amazing is that Vosse never got that in the 60s, or Mike in the last 30 or 20 years. Brian is a manipulator, but folks want to be in his sphere SO MUCH that they convince themselves that Brian is being manipulated by Murry/Mike/Marilyn/Rieley/Carolyn/Landy/Leaf/Melinda.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »

I don't know what is going on but sometimes family finds it easier to be with and be more responsive to friends than their family that comes with baggage and history of injuring and being injured.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »

we talked about the new album and upcoming tour.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet.  Ray, if you're at liberty to say anything, is there a tour in the works beyond the three shows that have been announced so far?  And, I'd also like to say how great it is to read your 'insiders' perspective.  You've got me very excited for the new tunes.  Cheers!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »

I want to know more about Last Song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »

we talked about the new album and upcoming tour.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet.  Ray, if you're at liberty to say anything, is there a tour in the works beyond the three shows that have been announced so far?  And, I'd also like to say how great it is to read your 'insiders' perspective.  You've got me very excited for the new tunes.  Cheers!

I know Brian has done very short spurts of shows sometimes. But I still would guess that the three dates announced so far are not the only dates. It seems odd to do one show at the end of August, take a five week break, and do two more shows. I dunno if they'll precisely fill in the gap between the end of August and October, but I would imagine we'll see at least a hand full of additional shows announced at some point, perhaps in conjunction with an announcement of the album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx