gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:58:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 133244 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: August 03, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

I don't want to speak for Jason but I have a feeling if you asked him, there might be other reasons why he left the board. Dozens of them. Do you remember all the great posters who USED TO frequent the board?

Anyway, back to John Stamos. Up to 20 pages now. Who's winning, Mike or Brian?

Who were the posters that left who you'd want to see back, and what if anything that made them leave could be addressed?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 03, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »

I don't want to speak for Jason but I have a feeling if you asked him, there might be other reasons why he left the board. Dozens of them. Do you remember all the great posters who USED TO frequent the board?

Who were the posters that left who you'd want to see back, and what if anything that made them leave could be addressed?

Have no fear guitarfool, I have returned to the fold.
Nicko1234
« Reply #502 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »

I just saw Mike, Bruce, Jeff & Co with STAMOS at the Ohio State Fair last Tuesday. My first encounter with Mike's Beach Boys. It was a fine show, albeit far more meat & potatoes than what we witnessed in 2012. (Of course the reunion tour was another realm from what we are going to see from the various configurations from here on out. Let's enjoy what we have.)

Stamos came across as a nice dude who was genuinely honored to be playing with his heroes. My only complaint was that the Stamos-centric evening likely pushed "Disney Girls" out for the night. Bruce sounded damn good doing the lead for "Do You Wanna Dance?"

Mike Love was in fine form...I found myself laughing out loud at his corny jokes. Vocally he was as good, maybe better, than the C50 show I saw in June 2012.

Curve balls - for me anyway - included "Goin to the Beach", "Pisces Brothers", and "Summertime Blues."

America - the band that is - ably opened the proceedings. They did all the hits with the merciful exception of "Muskrat Love." Dewey's voice has aged better than Gerry's.

All in all, a pleasant nostalgic evening of California Rock sounds. Kudos to Mike Love for his 50 plus years bringing the Endless Summer to all the people far and wide.

They regularly omit Disney Girls from the fair shows anyway even if Stamos isn`t present.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »

Mike Eder left the board because he had some personal issues going on, and wasn't online that much since. I talk to him offline on occasion,  and it had nothing to do with what you're saying. He's not that kind of guy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »

I just saw Mike, Bruce, Jeff & Co with STAMOS at the Ohio State Fair last Tuesday. My first encounter with Mike's Beach Boys. It was a fine show, albeit far more meat & potatoes than what we witnessed in 2012. (Of course the reunion tour was another realm from what we are going to see from the various configurations from here on out. Let's enjoy what we have.)

Stamos came across as a nice dude who was genuinely honored to be playing with his heroes. My only complaint was that the Stamos-centric evening likely pushed "Disney Girls" out for the night. Bruce sounded damn good doing the lead for "Do You Wanna Dance?"

Mike Love was in fine form...I found myself laughing out loud at his corny jokes. Vocally he was as good, maybe better, than the C50 show I saw in June 2012.

Curve balls - for me anyway - included "Goin to the Beach", "Pisces Brothers", and "Summertime Blues."

America - the band that is - ably opened the proceedings. They did all the hits with the merciful exception of "Muskrat Love." Dewey's voice has aged better than Gerry's.

All in all, a pleasant nostalgic evening of California Rock sounds. Kudos to Mike Love for his 50 plus years bringing the Endless Summer to all the people far and wide.

They regularly omit Disney Girls from the fair shows anyway even if Stamos isn`t present.

That's a shame - Bruce did "Disney Girls" AND "I Write the Songs" at the Ohio State Fair back in 1983!
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

Stamos accused of being an outlaw in a huge summer movie out at the moment!  Cheesy
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 03, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »

Mike Eder left the board because he had some personal issues going on, and wasn't online that much since. I talk to him offline on occasion,  and it had nothing to do with what you're saying. He's not that kind of guy.

I was following him on Facebook, and at one point he did say something like "maybe I'll go back if they make me and honored guest or something", which seemed very much out of character for him. But even after his weird issues settled down, it still seems he feels this way, which is a shame, because I thought he was a great and well informed poster. I'll still buy his Beach Boys if/when it comes out, but I'm still bummed that even after all the mess he went through, it kinda feels like he feels "above" this place now. Saddening.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:10:52 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 03, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »

Here's a question (please don't answer AGD):
Which member of The Beach Boys is primarily responsible for initiating the group's changing back to oldies act in 1974?

Don't guess… Oh, and it wasn't John Stamos.

Carl?

Not Carl…not Mike…not Brian…not Bruce…not Al.

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

Didn't see that coming. Shouldn't be by now but  always surprising how wrong we have it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 03, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »

Which member of The Beach Boys is primarily responsible for initiating the group's changing back to oldies act in 1974?

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

Didn't see that coming. Shouldn't be by now but  always surprising how wrong we have it.

I'm not disputing David's assertion about Dennis and reverting to play a lot more of the older music live, but I do think it'd be good if he expounded upon this a little. Because I don't think any of us have really heard anything about this before.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: August 03, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

Yeah...I want to hear this story!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 03, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

First time I ever heard that. I always thought it was Mike, especially since he gave Endless Summer its title. And wasn't he involved with the track selections? Really surprising that Dennis gave up on the artsy fartsy stuff he'd been working on, even after his hand injury. What did he (and Carl) have in the can at that point? River Song. And the stuff they cut at Caribou. And the songs that have eventually been released after he died. This is a very surprising revelation. I always thought Carl bowed to Mike after the success of Endless Summer and Spirit Of America and that was it.

So they listened to Dennis......
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:25:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 03, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »

Wow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:25:36 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

I'm not disputing David's assertion about Dennis and reverting to play a lot more of the older music live, but I do think it'd be good if he expounded upon this a little. Because I don't think any of us have really heard anything about this before.

this is news  Shocked

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »

That's a shame - Bruce did "Disney Girls" AND "I Write the Songs" at the Ohio State Fair back in 1983!
Oh geez, I was at that show with my family. Wasn't that the Sunkist tour? If so, I have the sunglasses that came with the early admission. Yes, actual Beach Boy engraved sunglasses.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 03, 2014, 05:51:23 PM »

Just off the top of my head, and I apologize if they've recently posted, but the names Surfer Joe, Old Rake, Jeff Mason, Chris Moise, Susan, The Song Of The Grange, Monkey Knutz, Glen Greenberg, TdHabib, Fishmonk, Mark Linett, and others come to mind. I noticed that Andrew Hickey and rockandroll recently posted after a long absence. Maybe they would shed some light on the subject.

In my opinion, there are three issues that I think causes people to maybe not leave, but probably influences them to NOT post:

1. Almost every thread turns into a Mike Love vs. Brian Wilson debate. It takes the fun out of the discussions. We cover the same old ground over and over. Some people get tired of it.

2. The attitude on the board seems to be turning too aggressive, to defeat the other poster, to win the argument, and not just win but to beat them into submission. You can almost feel the anger in the posts. People are walking a fine line between namecalling and using adjectives to describe the post. Negative adjectives and phrases are used to inflame. There's just an increasing lack of respect for each other. We don't recognize that everybody is entitled to their opinion. Then we tell them that their OPINION is wrong!

3. This is related to Point 1. There is too much hypocrisy on this board. In some ways, Mike Love and Brian Wilson are completely different individuals, but in many ways IN THEIR CAREERS, they have thought the same AND acted the same. I am constantly asking myself about a poster, "How can they say that about Mike (or Brian) when Brian (or Mike) has done or is doing the same thing." I know it will never happen, but I wish people would stop taking sides (Mike's or Brian's) and look at the issues from both sides. You might find a lot of similarities, and realize that what you are criticizing Mike or Brian for, well, Mike or Brian did or is doing the same things.

And I include myself in those above three posts. The reason we participate on this board is because it is supposed to FUN. When it stops being fun, people withdraw, maybe they leave. And I'm sure there are other more normal reasons. Yes, I realize that we are passionate people when it comes to the world of The Beach Boys, but remember that we are all here because we share a common bond. And that's enough pompous windbaggery from me...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:03:00 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: August 03, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »

Just off the top of my head, and I apologize if they've recently posted, but the names Surfer Joe, Old Rake, Jeff Mason, Chris Moise, Susan, The Song Of The Grange, Monkey Knutz, Glen Greenberg, TdHabib, Fishmonk, Mark Linett, and others come to mind. I noticed that Andrew Hickey and rockandroll recently posted after a long absence. Maybe they would shed some light on the subject.

In my opinion, there are three issues that I think causes people to maybe not leave, but probably influences them to NOT post:

1. Almost every thread turns into a Mike Love vs. Brian Wilson debate. It takes the fun out of the discussions. We cover the same old ground over and over. Some people get tired of it.

2. The attitude on the board seems to be turning too aggressive, to defeat the other poster, to win the argument, and not just win but to beat them into submission. You can almost feel the anger in the posts. People are walking a fine line between namecalling and using adjectives to describe the post. Negative adjectives and phrases are used to inflame. There's just an increasing lack of respect for each other. We don't recognize that everybody is entitled to their opinion. Then we tell them that their OPINION is wrong!

3. This is related to Point 1. There is too much hypocrisy on this board. In some ways, Mike Love and Brian Wilson are completely different individuals, but in many ways IN THEIR CAREERS, they have thought the same AND acted the same. I am constantly asking myself about a poster, "How can they say that about Mike (or Brian) when Brian (or Mike) has done or is doing the same thing" I know it will never happen, but I wish people would stop taking sides (Mike's or Brian's) and look at the issues from both sides. You might find a lot of similarities, and realize that what you are criticizing Mike or Brian for, well, Mike or Brian did or is doing the same things.

And I include myself in those above three posts. The reason we participate on this board is because it is supposed to FUN. When it stops being fun, people withdraw, maybe they leave. And I'm sure there are other more normal reasons. Yes, I realize that we are passionate people when it comes to the world of The Beach Boys, but remember that we are all here because we share a common bond. And that's enough pompous windbaggery from me...

Sheriff, at least four of the names listed there don't post regularly if at all for reasons different from what you're suggesting, which you didn't even mention. Just for the record. One of them sadly left and is sorely missed because he got offended by what was intended as a joke but didn't read that way in print.

I'll just say there is more to the stories than you're suggesting or might think, and some goes back perhaps 9-10 years. I'll say not much more, I don't want to say anymore, but if it comes up again it will be addressed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 03, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »

3. This is related to Point 1. There is too much hypocrisy on this board. In some ways, Mike Love and Brian Wilson are completely different individuals, but in many ways IN THEIR CAREERS, they have thought the same AND acted the same. I am constantly asking myself about a poster, "How can they say that about Mike (or Brian) when Brian (or Mike) has done or is doing the same thing" I know it will never happen, but I wish people would stop taking sides (Mike's or Brian's) and look at the issues from both sides. You might find a lot of similarities, and realize that what you are criticizing Mike or Brian for, well, Mike or Brian did or is doing the same things.

Sheriff, at least four of the names listed there don't post regularly if at all for reasons different from what you're suggesting, which you didn't even mention. Just for the record. One of them sadly left and is sorely missed because he got offended by what was intended as a joke but didn't read that way in print.

I'll just say there is more to the stories than you're suggesting or might think, and some goes back perhaps 9-10 years. I'll say not much more, I don't want to say anymore, but if it comes up again it will be addressed.

The three reasons that I listed were simply my personal thoughts and opinions. I wasn't trying to specifically attach them (my opinions) to the names I mentioned. Yes, there are obviously additional/different reasons for people leaving, and I'm certainly open to hearing them.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

He sure does, because after talking to Carl and Mike Dennis went up to Caribou to see Guercio.

David, didn't Jim Guercio also have a pretty big hand in it, as well?

Yes, he did.  Dennis was responsible for visiting Guercio and asking him to come see their shows to see what they were doing wrong (as their audiences were declining).  This was after a vote was taken with Carl, Mike and Al present. 

Guercio told me this firsthand back in 2008 when I interviewed him for the Dennis Wilson Legacy edition notes that I co-authored with Jon Stebbins.  We used some of this in the liner notes, but the interview appears in its original unabridged form in the Summer 2008 edition of ESQ.  Stebbins and I had the good fortune of spending some time with Jim at the Wilson release Party @ Dennis' son Michael's "Wilson" restaurant in '08.  It was a very memorable night.

Here's the link:  http://www.esquarterly.com/merchandise.html#summer2008

The best thing that I had back when I discovered the Beach Boys in 1979-80 was books, cassettes and LPs.  Nothing better.  There is far too much reliance on everything being on the Internet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:00:49 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 03, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »

Well I'll be damned.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 03, 2014, 07:16:39 PM »

So what? They bailed for various reasons. People come, people go. That's the nature of the board.

"Can't please everyone so ya got to.......please yourself".

- Rick Nelson

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 03, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

He sure does, because after talking to Carl and Mike Dennis went up to Caribou to see Guercio.

Yes, he did.  Dennis was responsible for visiting Guercio and asking him to come see their shows to see what they were doing wrong (as their audiences were declining).  This was after a vote was taken with Carl, Mike and Al present. 

Guercio told me this firsthand back in 2008 when I interviewed him for the Dennis Wilson Legacy edition notes that I co-authored with Jon Stebbins.  We used some of this in the liner notes, but the interview appears in its original unabridged form in the Summer 2008 edition of ESQ.  Stebbins and I had the good fortune of spending some time with Jim at the Wilson release Party @ Dennis' son Michael's "Wilson" restaurant in '08.  It was a very memorable night.

And that right there is one of the reasons why it's worth being an ESQ subscriber!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 03, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

First time I ever heard that. I always thought it was Mike, especially since he gave Endless Summer its title. And wasn't he involved with the track selections? Really surprising that Dennis gave up on the artsy fartsy stuff he'd been working on, even after his hand injury. What did he (and Carl) have in the can at that point? River Song. And the stuff they cut at Caribou. And the songs that have eventually been released after he died. This is a very surprising revelation. I always thought Carl bowed to Mike after the success of Endless Summer and Spirit Of America and that was it.

So they listened to Dennis......

The group agreed with Dennis.  They all wanted to fill the seats.  Without a fan base you're nothing.  Your statement about the rest of the stuff involving Dennis is a different subject (studio recordings, etc.) and should not be confused with the group agreeing to have Dennis approach Jim Guercio about helping them out with their live performances.  There is an awful lot of uninformed hypothesis being thrown around on this board.  A LOT of broad stroke statements.  You are aware that Dennis released the best of ALL the solo albums in 1977?  Why would you ask this question?

I have no problem saying if you want to learn more about The Beach Boys, then subscribe to ESQ.  Or, at the very least, order back issues that cover topics that interest you.  It is not up to those "in the know" or "on the inside" (or whatever term you want to use here) to spend our time here giving you inside scoops or explaining the group's history.  Back in the day before message boards, we didn't call everyone we knew after an interview and tell them everything.  They got the information when the issue was mailed.  Before ESQ (and other BB fanzines) you had to drive to a record  and book store (sometimes the same place).  

The only reason I became involved in this thread was to share a firsthand example of a group of guys (Mike Love & company) who treated my son Ethan like he was one of the gang.  I don't appreciate ANYONE taking a shot at my relationship with the band members and how that is why they were kind to my son (who has special needs).  That's not asking too much is it?  <— I am not asking this in a sarcastic tone.  I mean it.  

I care deeply about the group's legacy and every member knows that I love them.  I have been involved with ESQ for 21 years, but that does not entitle me to anything.  It does afford me the opportunity to provide a service to the fans of the music of The Beach Boys.  Because I oversee the content for each edition of ESQ, it is my intent to supply the reader with content about Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and everlasting musical imprints left behind by Dennis and Carl Wilson.  I am proud to say, for the most part, ESQ is successful in this endeavor.  

I got involved with ESQ because I was FASCINATED with Smile…could not get enough.  I traveled to a record convention, met Lee Dempsey…and the rest they say is history.  After that I watched the An American Band video…now I was REALLY going nuts.  MORE!!  Then came Pet Sounds., and books by David Leaf, Byron Preiss and John Milward.  

For me, the best part about being a Beach Boys fan is the music…not how many silly pictures of Mike Love there are…not whether or not beach balls at a concert made an appearance, etc.

Stop for just a second…

Isn't there a song by the group that just turns you on your head?  Get your foot tapping?  Gives you goose bumps?  Moves you to a deeply emotional place (even though you've heard it countless times)?  Versatility.  

For me, music is color, and the music of The Beach Boys is as vivid as any painting I've ever seen hanging in a museum.  

Fact, Brian is a world class studio GENIUS.
Fact, Mike is a world class entertainer (and pretty damn good lyricist).
Fact, Al's voice is the best in the business (in any group that has been around for five generations)
Fact, Bruce is a the only classically trained musician (and has compositional and arranging skills that deserve deeper inspection).
Fact, David is a living example of the authentic surf guitar sound.
Fact, Dennis and Carl will NEVER be replaced…there is no debate.  *No one is trying to replace them.

I invite all of you to subscribe to ESQ, or buy one issue.  See what you think.  The only thing that I can guarantee is — like you — I love the music, and it shows in every quarterly issue.  Once you have it start a thread here about the mag.  Post your thoughts.  I'll listen.
http://www.esquarterly.com/order.html

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:19:03 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

And that right there is one of the reasons why it's worth being an ESQ subscriber!

Cheers!!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

Cheers!!

I know you've sold me.  I'll be paying through paypal, so all I have to do is send the money and I'll see an issue in the mail in a few weeks?
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 03, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »

Carl?

Wait for it…  DENNIS!

Cheers!!

I know you've sold me.  I'll be paying through paypal, so all I have to do is send the money and I'll see an issue in the mail in a few weeks?

Yep.  Sometimes, depending on schedules, it can take up to four weeks, but it is seldom that it takes that long.     

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx