gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:15:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 133362 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »

Mikie:  I feel so discredited  (post #3)

But nonetheless, a constructive post with good observations. Kinda supports my initial thoughts about Stamos, and after 8 pages of reading posts that started to sway me in the other direction and give him the benefit of the doubt, after reading your post I'm now back to square one with it. He is a hamburger (and hot dog) on stage. But seriously, I really don't think he did anything wrong here as Nelson Bragg suggests. I might go to the Mike & Bruce show at the Saratoga Winery concert in a few days just to see what Stamos does (if he shows up). I'm gonna find Jude in the crowd and compare notes with him.

Bummer. Wish I could say I was going to be there. Probably would have gone if Jardine was there.

I considered trying Mike's show after seeing how good Totten and Cowsill were. But between finances and knowing how less of an article it is when it isn't C50, I'm still passing.

Would like to see the Brian/Al Modesto show, but it's just too freaking far. Hopefully they'll be together hitting the Bay Area.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »

I hope this post doesn't get buried, but I have a thought on the whole Stamos thing.

I know people get on Mike about making a mockery of The Beach Boys by including Stamos and whatnot. But I think really what it is, is that Mike, as much as he loves The Beach Boys, thinks that they are anachronistic and uncool. And I'm pretty sure that he might truly believe in his heart that mentioning John Stamos' name makes people think of The Beach Boys as more "hip" and "current". Now, obviously he's totally misguided in this belief, just as he was misguided into thinking that we needed a holiday themed "Kokomo" sequel in the first decade of this century.

But anyways, I think that the Stamos thing plays into the same element that makes Mike mention all the songs he co-wrote all the time. He, for some reason, needs to re-validate his accomplishments and re-prove his relevancy to today's times. And because of his insecurities, we get interviews constantly repeating what he co-wrote, and shows filled with more mentions of John Stamos than Dennis Wilson.

But yeah, basically to sum it up, I think Mike unfortunately doesn't give The Beach Boys enough credit. Because something like "Surfin' Safari" is 1000 times cooler than John Stamos, despite Mike's feeling that it's dorky.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Nelson and John Cowsill have made up via Facebook. That's good. They also took shots at the Smiley Smile board. They seem to both think that this board is populated by drama queens that are looking for a soap opera. For some reason. 

Hands up who on here posted a drunken rant about a nothing incident from over two years ago?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »

Nelson and John Cowsill have made up via Facebook. That's good. They also took shots at the Smiley Smile board. They seem to both think that this board is populated by drama queens that are looking for a soap opera. For some reason. 

This saddens me, and if word gets back to either musician I hope my comments here make the trip too.

Drama and other assorted nonsense does happen, as it does on any fan community that's an open forum and has daily posts by several hundred members. It also happens in nearly every aspect of life where interaction between different personalities takes place. It happens in nearly every workplace or office where politics, in-fighting, and backstabbing are supposedly frowned upon yet flourish as a daily part of these operations. Someone gets a raise, someone asks for and gets a personal day off that others don't like, someone gets credit for a big deal that others worked harder for, word gets out...watch the feathers fly, and the nonsense makes this place mild in comparison. It happens in bands with three members who don't agree on what the name should be before the band even books a gig or plays an open mic set! I don't see where the expectation is different at a forum which is populated by opinionated musicians, collectors, fans, and any number of people from around the world.

But underneath all the "drama" is probably the most passionate and knowledgeable group of fans you'll find online. Collectors, writers, researchers, musicians, historians...people who get consulted for or even work directly on the "official" projects that come out around this band. Some people who have been involved in the things being discussed or have been there firsthand who can shed light on these topics. People who genuinely listen and enjoy when the band, its members, or even musicians who have worked with them release new music or even give an interview.

Don't discredit the whole thing, and suggest it's all drama and nonsense all the time. Because it's not. It's also not a place where flippant remarks, undue criticism, and a general level of hatred or whatever else rules the day. Again, it's an open forum with open discussions. Things happen. And also what happens is you get a lot of information here which appears nowhere else. You get some pretty deep discussions and analysis of the music and the people making it. You also get more potential audience members for upcoming gigs, albums, books, etc. so it might not be advisable to alienate the group here by suggesting it's all drama. These people are a core audience too.

There are forums, boards, and fan communities where the content is controlled and heavily moderated. If folks want that, there is the Mike Love Facebook page, the Brian Wilson Facebook page, other Beach Boys boards, and the like. Maybe they're not quite the drama and criticism that can happen here, but they're also pretty weak on content, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, those kinds of places aren't there for open-forum type discussion, that's not their purpose. At the same time they could use some of us who are labeled the drama queens and soap opera actors to make sure photos get labeled correctly, so a backstage photo from 1965 isn't tagged as 1967, and all kinds of little bits of info that a lot of us here could fix before it even gets sent out or published.

But if a place where reading a few hundred fans posting messages like "Happy Birthday" or "I can't wait to see the band next week!" is a better option than real people and passionate fans discussing things with each other...replete with some blasts of pure crap, drama, and nonsense on occasion...there are other places to connect with those kinds of fans.

But I wouldn't write this place off, especially how great it can it be when it is at its best. It's one of the best around as far as a community dedicated to a musical artist. My 2 cents.  Smiley

I hope the drama queens labelling us "drama queens" appreciate we're also "drama queens who buy music and keep the drama queens in work".  Hey ho…

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:19 AM »

Seriously, anyone who called for Jason's resignation should all consider taking the job. I always loved that saying by Jesus, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

There's never been anybody named jesus that ever said anything like that

For the record I would love to see a (civilized) Sandbox thread about Biblical historicity / Christian history / Biblical criticism.

You know, that would be interesting. I'm studying that stuff. But I fear my english isn't good enough for scholarly discussions...  Undecided

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »

Seriously, anyone who called for Jason's resignation should all consider taking the job. I always loved that saying by Jesus, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

There's never been anybody named jesus that ever said anything like that

For the record I would love to see a (civilized) Sandbox thread about Biblical historicity / Christian history / Biblical criticism.

Something I'd love to see as well, but any initial civility would likely soon evaporate. Religious debate has a habit of doing that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »

Great post, Guitarfool
+2
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »

This saddens me, and if word gets back to either musician I hope my comments here make the trip too.

Drama and other assorted nonsense does happen, as it does on any fan community that's an open forum and has daily posts by several hundred members. It also happens in nearly every aspect of life where interaction between different personalities takes place. It happens in nearly every workplace or office where politics, in-fighting, and backstabbing are supposedly frowned upon yet flourish as a daily part of these operations. Someone gets a raise, someone asks for and gets a personal day off that others don't like, someone gets credit for a big deal that others worked harder for, word gets out...watch the feathers fly, and the nonsense makes this place mild in comparison. It happens in bands with three members who don't agree on what the name should be before the band even books a gig or plays an open mic set! I don't see where the expectation is different at a forum which is populated by opinionated musicians, collectors, fans, and any number of people from around the world.

But underneath all the "drama" is probably the most passionate and knowledgeable group of fans you'll find online. Collectors, writers, researchers, musicians, historians...people who get consulted for or even work directly on the "official" projects that come out around this band. Some people who have been involved in the things being discussed or have been there firsthand who can shed light on these topics. People who genuinely listen and enjoy when the band, its members, or even musicians who have worked with them release new music or even give an interview.

Don't discredit the whole thing, and suggest it's all drama and nonsense all the time. Because it's not. It's also not a place where flippant remarks, undue criticism, and a general level of hatred or whatever else rules the day. Again, it's an open forum with open discussions. Things happen. And also what happens is you get a lot of information here which appears nowhere else. You get some pretty deep discussions and analysis of the music and the people making it. You also get more potential audience members for upcoming gigs, albums, books, etc. so it might not be advisable to alienate the group here by suggesting it's all drama. These people are a core audience too.

There are forums, boards, and fan communities where the content is controlled and heavily moderated. If folks want that, there is the Mike Love Facebook page, the Brian Wilson Facebook page, other Beach Boys boards, and the like. Maybe they're not quite the drama and criticism that can happen here, but they're also pretty weak on content, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, those kinds of places aren't there for open-forum type discussion, that's not their purpose. At the same time they could use some of us who are labeled the drama queens and soap opera actors to make sure photos get labeled correctly, so a backstage photo from 1965 isn't tagged as 1967, and all kinds of little bits of info that a lot of us here could fix before it even gets sent out or published.

But if a place where reading a few hundred fans posting messages like "Happy Birthday" or "I can't wait to see the band next week!" is a better option than real people and passionate fans discussing things with each other...replete with some blasts of pure crap, drama, and nonsense on occasion...there are other places to connect with those kinds of fans.

But I wouldn't write this place off, especially how great it can it be when it is at its best. It's one of the best around as far as a community dedicated to a musical artist. My 2 cents.  Smiley

I hope the drama queens labelling us "drama queens" appreciate we're also "drama queens who buy music and keep the drama queens in work".  Hey ho…

Yes, I agree but Stamos net worth is 40 million. I seriously doubt hes worried over the possibility fans stop buying product.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »

Latest member: nelson

Who could that be  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:11 AM »

Yes, I agree but Stamos net worth is 40 million. I seriously doubt hes worried over the possibility fans stop buying product.

Andrew Hickey and John Cowsill are the only ones responsible for the `drama queen` stuff though...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »

Who could that be  LOL
I hope it isn't a poseur.  

Only among, the most gifted percussionists on the planet.   Wink

And despite this foolish dust-up, he and Cowsill (equally gifted) worked with incredible synergy during C50!  

IMHO there is always room for someone who enhanced the timeliness of the music for a new generation, controversial or not. (Stamos) Anyone who promotes BB/BB work is A-OK in my book. It was a long climb back from the mid to late 1960's. Anyone and everyone who helped in any way re-gain appreciation for the musical talent that was rejected for a while, gets an A from me!

If it is really Mr. Bragg (not a poseur) many welcomes to this forum.  

Love your work!  w00t!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:28:34 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »

The new member of this forum - 'Nelson'  - could be Stamos using an alias.

But if it is the Nelson - I love your work too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:21:08 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »

Who could that be  LOL

Nelson Muntz. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »

Who could that be  LOL

Nelson Muntz. Smiley

Nelson Wilbury?  Grin

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »

Willie Nelson?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »

Nelson Mandela!
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »

Just a note...yes WE ALL, that means SS boarders and US the guys who play the music we all love, are ALL drama contenders... But I didn't post my stuff here. Someone else did...and yes if ya don't want it to be seen don't write it. So Nicko1234 no fair pointing the finger Wink...there are always three pointing back at you...I love reading the board here and yeah some of it gets blown over board...just like real life...And I only meant a handful of posters who can't wait to stir things up...sh*t there are some very cool people here, and we all take turns in that handful of culprits... me included! hahahaha so lets just all get along... Love the passion...and Stamos is my friend and all those who don't like him are entitled to that view...But There's not many people I don't like who I don't know on a personal level...just saying...anyway I do love coming here for good or bad...it's like a continuous soap opera..What will happen tomorrow when Joan says to John....
 Evil
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »

Just a note...yes WE ALL, that means SS boarders and US the guys who play the music we all love, are ALL drama contenders... But I didn't post my stuff here. Someone else did...and yes if ya don't want it to be seen don't write it. So Nicko1234 no fair pointing the finger Wink...there are always three pointing back at you...I love reading the board here and yeah some of it gets blown over board...just like real life...And I only meant a handful of posters who can't wait to stir things up...sh*t there are some very cool people here, and we all take turns in that handful of culprits... me included! hahahaha so lets just all get along... Love the passion...and Stamos is my friend and all those who don't like him are entitled to that view...But There's not many people I don't like who I don't know on a personal level...just saying...anyway I do love coming here for good or bad...it's like a continuous soap opera..What will happen tomorrow when Joan says to John....
 Evil
Thanks for chiming in on this here platform. We respect (if not love) all you guys in the extended BBs family/apparatus and are thankful for the music being kept alive. Dito to what you said about soap operas. What would life be without them.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »

I hope this post doesn't get buried, but I have a thought on the whole Stamos thing.

I know people get on Mike about making a mockery of The Beach Boys by including Stamos and whatnot. But I think really what it is, is that Mike, as much as he loves The Beach Boys, thinks that they are anachronistic and uncool. And I'm pretty sure that he might truly believe in his heart that mentioning John Stamos' name makes people think of The Beach Boys as more "hip" and "current". Now, obviously he's totally misguided in this belief, just as he was misguided into thinking that we needed a holiday themed "Kokomo" sequel in the first decade of this century.

But anyways, I think that the Stamos thing plays into the same element that makes Mike mention all the songs he co-wrote all the time. He, for some reason, needs to re-validate his accomplishments and re-prove his relevancy to today's times. And because of his insecurities, we get interviews constantly repeating what he co-wrote, and shows filled with more mentions of John Stamos than Dennis Wilson.

But yeah, basically to sum it up, I think Mike unfortunately doesn't give The Beach Boys enough credit. Because something like "Surfin' Safari" is 1000 times cooler than John Stamos, despite Mike's feeling that it's dorky.

Interesting points---I think there is some of that involved.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »

Right there is why mainstream 80's rock sucked a fat one.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

there are some very cool people here

My ears are burning.....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »

Evil

Please make another reunion happen  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »

Evil

Hi John - I still Groove to "The Rain the Park and Other Things"  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx