gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:51:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 132666 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »

Yes, it appears that the video failed. I know little about the technical aspect of this business but I do know from setting up TV's, VCR's, cable boxes, sling boxes, and media streamers that the audio is separate, generally, from video, and they can perform or fail, independent of one another.  It seems as though this is what happened. 

The only thing particularly apparent is that we don’t know what happened on that stage precisely, let alone how it happened. By many accounts, the band didn’t know there was a problem for much of the song. That suggests the Dennis vocal track was making it from its source (presumably at the main/house mixing board area) to the mixing board handling the band’s on-stage monitors (which is usually handled separately, often to the side of the stage or somehow nearer the stage) and out into the band’s monitors (most of the band used in-ear monitors, but I believe Al still uses floor monitors “old school” style).

Somehow, that vocal feed was apparently making it to the band’s monitors but not back out into the PA. That would suggest the *source* of the audio feed for Dennis’ vocal was not compromised. It was when it was fed into the house PA that things went awry apparently.

As Howie has mentioned, it’s pretty far-fetched that there was a vast conspiracy to cut the audio, while simultaneously making it look like an accidental malfunction. If one wanted to do it, though, it would simply require either a really keen eye and familiarity with the audio setup at the show, and/or the assistance of someone else with that familiarity and access. Pretty far-fetched.

Problem is, even with it clearly being a pure accidental malfunction, Stamos clearly rubbed band members, audience members, and fans the wrong way. Not all of them, or even the majority of them, I don’t know. But some. Even some fans who don’t really care one way or the other might say that objectively Stamos’ move was tacky.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »

Anyone else notice that Bruce was waving him on for like 10 seconds before he actually showed up on stage?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »

Yes, it appears that the video failed. I know little about the technical aspect of this business but I do know from setting up TV's, VCR's, cable boxes, sling boxes, and media streamers that the audio is separate, generally, from video, and they can perform or fail, independent of one another.  It seems as though this is what happened. 

The only thing particularly apparent is that we don’t know what happened on that stage precisely, let alone how it happened. By many accounts, the band didn’t know there was a problem for much of the song. That suggests the Dennis vocal track was making it from its source (presumably at the main/house mixing board area) to the mixing board handling the band’s on-stage monitors (which is usually handled separately, often to the side of the stage or somehow nearer the stage) and out into the band’s monitors (most of the band used in-ear monitors, but I believe Al still uses floor monitors “old school” style).

Somehow, that vocal feed was apparently making it to the band’s monitors but not back out into the PA. That would suggest the *source* of the audio feed for Dennis’ vocal was not compromised. It was when it was fed into the house PA that things went awry apparently.

As Howie has mentioned, it’s pretty far-fetched that there was a vast conspiracy to cut the audio, while simultaneously making it look like an accidental malfunction. If one wanted to do it, though, it would simply require either a really keen eye and familiarity with the audio setup at the show, and/or the assistance of someone else with that familiarity and access. Pretty far-fetched.

Problem is, even with it clearly being a pure accidental malfunction, Stamos clearly rubbed band members, audience members, and fans the wrong way. Not all of them, or even the majority of them, I don’t know. But some. Even some fans who don’t really care one way or the other might say that objectively Stamos’ move was tacky.  

I would agree with Howie - Watergate, it ain't. And, not for nothing, but Stamos did popularize the song. There are well over a million hits on YouTube. Carl sang it from time to time, but Stamos gave it mass media attention.  He has had an undeniably huge role in memorializing Dennis.  If people don't like him, it is their problem. He gets a ton of applause and he does not dominate the stage.  Really, no one does, and they give each other room to shine.

There are a lot of haters out there who should just get over it.  Stamos intro'd them a month after the purported "incident."  It's a "slow news day" to dredge this up.  It is old.  
Jason
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »

The Stamos hatred is centered around a bunch of sociopaths in the pro-Brian camp who think Stamos is little more than a cheerleader. However, unlike many of the myriad guests who randomly show up on both Beach Boys and Brian solo recordings, Stamos actually IS a fan of the group and a huge one at that. I'll take him over the Johnny-come-lately poseurs.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »

An over-explanation isn't really necessary here. All I'm saying is when the GOK video failed at another show, Carl's audio still made it through. When the Forever video failed, Dennis' audio did not. Trying to guess what the musicians may or may not have been hearing in their monitors really doesn't apply.

It's usually the same audio source going into both the house mix and the monitor mix on something like this, whatever gets done to that source for each musician is done to the same audio that's being fed to the house mix. So you wouldn't have a case where the musicians' monitor mix would still have something like this Dennis vocal going through if the source for that vocal failed. They don't run two "sources", they could simply mix them differently for house and monitors but it's still the same source being mixed.

And...let's assume what "HeyJude" suggests was possible...when they knew there was a failure, and Denny's voice wasn't getting out, it would have taken a matter of seconds to re-route the vocal the band was hearing in-ear so it goes out to the house, effectively "saving" the performance with Denny's vocal.

That's pure speculation, but if it's that scenario, and some in the band were still hearing Dennis (which I doubt is the case), the house could have still heard Dennis too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »

The Stamos hatred is centered around a bunch of sociopaths in the pro-Brian camp who think Stamos is little more than a cheerleader. However, unlike many of the myriad guests who randomly show up on both Beach Boys and Brian solo recordings, Stamos actually IS a fan of the group and a huge one at that. I'll take him over the Johnny-come-lately poseurs.
I can speak only for myself, but "hatred" is hardly the right term. Roll Eyes Calling fellow fans "sociopaths" ain't the gentlemanliest way to do business, either. WTF...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »

It was a malfunction of technology. Whether some band members may not care when this happens, others may care a lot. Whether considered tacky or not, someone (Mike, Bruce, whoever) thought it best to have John come out and finish the song. Man, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Eight pages of discussion isn't going to change what happened.  Two plus years of talking about it hasn't brought us any further along as to exactly what happened and who made the call to have Stamos come out. I'll bet many in the band still don't know. Even Nelson in his apology says it was only his opinion, not fact.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:03:54 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:03 AM »

Separate the fans who may have issues with Stamos from those you call "sociopaths" and even the word "hatred". Whatever baggage you have against certain fans shouldn't be used to write everyone off as sociopaths who didn't agree with having him onstage at a 50th concert or anything else. My issue was the TV movie, plain and simple. Whatever he did or does with the Beach Boys after that I really don't care.

And nice dig at Brian where it doesn't even apply. Stamos is a true fan, OK. What does that have to do with the myriad guests who I assume you think aren't as big fans as Stamos "randomly" showing up on Brian's recordings?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »

I can speak only for myself, but "hatred" is hardly the right term. Roll Eyes Calling fellow fans "sociopaths" ain't the gentlemanliest way to do business, either. WTF...

Maybe not the most gentlemanly way to do business, but as the good Doctor said, what's eight pages of bitching about it going to change? None of us were there except those who were in the audience at said show.

I sometimes think the anti-Stamos people would be livid if Stamos was banned from future concerts - only because they'd have nothing to bitch ad nauseam about on the internet.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »

I have to laugh. We accuse and call band members all kinds of stuff without them being here to defend themselves, but boy, have someone do the same against board members and wow, does the fur stand on end. We need to take what we dish out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:09:41 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »

Separate the fans who may have issues with Stamos from those you call "sociopaths" and even the word "hatred". Whatever baggage you have against certain fans shouldn't be used to write everyone off as sociopaths who didn't agree with having him onstage at a 50th concert or anything else. My issue was the TV movie, plain and simple. Whatever he did or does with the Beach Boys after that I really don't care.

And nice dig at Brian where it doesn't even apply. Stamos is a true fan, OK. What does that have to do with the myriad guests who I assume you think aren't as big fans as Stamos "randomly" showing up on Brian's recordings?

That wasn't a dig at Brian and I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
Jason
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »

I have to laugh. We accuse and call band members all kinds of stuff without them being here to defend themselves, but boy, have someone do the same against board members and wow, does the fur stand on end. We need to take what we dish out.

You said it. The internet is serious business.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »

I have to laugh. We accuse and call band members all kinds of stuff without them being here to defend themselves, but boy, have someone do the same against board members and wow, does the fur stand on end.
What the..? I'd frown on band members being called "sociopaths" as much as I do when such terms are applied to board members. Who wouldn't? Do you read that stuff before you post it? Wink

We need to take what we dish out.
Exactly. But I didn't call anyone a *sigh* sociopath. Neither do the majority of people who post here. That argument just collapsed in itself.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2014, 08:19:49 AM »

I have to laugh. We accuse and call band members all kinds of stuff without them being here to defend themselves, but boy, have someone do the same against board members and wow, does the fur stand on end.
What the..? I'd frown on band members being called "sociopaths" as much as I do when such terms are applied to board members. Who wouldn't? Do you read that stuff before you post it? Wink

Exactly. But I didn't call anyone a *sigh* sociopath. Neither do the majority of people who post here. That argument just collapsed in itself.
You are too touchy. See, I know he wasn't speaking to or about me. To me, only sociopaths would have a problem with it. I will say this, there must be something wrong with all of us to go over all the stuff that we do here constantly. We beat a dead horse on every topic. We all have to throw our opinion out there whether it is thoughtful or pure bullshit. Just my opinion. Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:20:50 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

Okay, that's just wrong. I've always been one of the least inflammatory members here. To be called a "sociopath" just because I don't think Stamos makes a positive contribution to the band is crossing the line. It's my opinion, and I'm neither a "sociopath" nor a "Brianista." What Brian does on a solo project is is own business. If Mike want to make a solo album with John Stamos, more power to him. But, Stamos is not a Beach Boy, no matter how hard he pretends to be Dennis.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »

You are too touchy. See, I know he wasn't speaking to or about me. To me, only sociopaths would have a problem with it. I will say this, there must be something wrong with all of us to go over all the stuff that we do here constantly. We beat a dead horse on every topic. We all have to throw our opinion out there whether it is thoughtful or pure bullshit. Just my opinion. Wink
Fair enough. I don't agree with that at all. Especially that last part. But I do accept it. Like the agreeable sociopath I am. Cheesy
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »

it's funny how technology is supposed to make life easier but in fact makes it more difficult..
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:56 AM »

That wasn't a dig at Brian and I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

I read what was written.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »

To call fellow board members who disagree with you about John Stamos (of all things) sociopaths is outrageous. Please apologize now.
Jason
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »

Okay, that's just wrong. I've always been one of the least inflammatory members here. To be called a "sociopath" just because I don't think Stamos makes a positive contribution to the band is crossing the line. It's my opinion, and I'm neither a "sociopath" nor a "Brianista." What Brian does on a solo project is is own business. If Mike want to make a solo album with John Stamos, more power to him. But, Stamos is not a Beach Boy, no matter how hard he pretends to be Dennis.

I accept that. You have your own opinion. I have mine. No one is going to change anyone's mind here.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »

I accept that. You have your own opinion. I have mine. No one is going to change anyone's mind here.

If your opinion is really that your fellow board members are sociopaths, I recommend that you resign your position as a moderator immediately.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:31:47 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Jason
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »

To call fellow board members who disagree with you about John Stamos (of all things) sociopaths is outrageous. Please apologize now.

I apologize for voicing it on the forum.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »

If your opinion is really that your fellow board members are sociopaths, I recommend that you resign your position as a moderator immediately.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »

For the record --

Sociopath: someone who behaves in a dangerous or violent way towards other people and does not feel guilty about such behavior.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sociopath
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »

Wow. What a joke that this guy is a moderator. I agree that he should resign. He obviously has no place to judge anybody with this sh*t he's throwing out there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:32:04 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx