gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:44:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 132650 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:27 PM »

I’ve said before in other threads, while Stamos himself and “Stamos Incident” from 2012 had no particular actual impact on the band or its legacy, that Stamos situation is a good representation of the dissonance between the ideological/musical/cultural/personality differences between the two main “camps.”

Stamos serves a very good purpose as a sort of litmus test. Whether you like him or loathe him and/or his presence on stage, if you told me that there are two people, two “camps”, one of which *loves* everything about Stamos and his being in the band while the other finds it all annoying and inappropriate, I’d tell you those are two people and two camps that are probably very different from each other in many ways.

As for the “Forever” incident, I won’t reiterate in detail my thoughts on that from my posts back in 2012. Regardless of how the “malfunction” happened, I think it could have been handled differently. Stamos did not *have* to get up there at all. The performance was already a shambles, at least from a technical/logistical standpoint. That he sang the lead vocal for the latter portion of the song did not erase the malfunction from the minds of the audience. He could have let them finish the song as an instrumental, or I can’t imagine he couldn’t have gone back on stage and screamed into one of the band members’ ears that no lead was going out to the audience, and tell them to pick the lead vocal up, and if that didn’t work, then just ride the song out as an instrumental. I know it’s loud and confusing on stage, but it could have been attempted. Frankly, as a “guest” that night, Stamos should have let Foskett or Totten take the lead before he did.

The band and the show in general would not have been measurably worse if they had just done the song as an instrumental, and/or stopped cold and restarted it later. Taking the lead did not “save” the show; it only drew more attention to the malfunction and more attention to Stamos.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »

I'm guessing if anymore reunions should take place Bragg won't be invited.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure he would be part of that "too many musicians and singers competing for parts" that was cited in an interview. I can't imagine some of the guys in the band wouldn't be perhaps a bit put off by being lamented in interviews a bit, even if no particular member was particularly targeted.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »

I hope you're wrong. He brings a dynamism to the show that few others ever do. He's versatile, talented and creative, good with the fans and seems to live for the music.

I'd've thought the solution would be "no Stamos, no problem".

While Bragg's comment is surprising, I doubt he'd be daft enough to post it without reason and without validity.

“We live in divisive times.”
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »

If only OSD was here for this madness!!!!!! Evil

Or even Vintage Music.....

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkxNVV-QJI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »

It is a little silly from the standpoint that not only is it two years old "news" (if it is news at all), but that he posted it where very few people could see it, including John himself. Maybe Nelson was hoping the post would leak into other parts of the Internet.  Nelson needs to learn to spell (douche without the e at the end, your instead of you're).   

Putting something on your public Facebook page is the very opposite of posting something where very few people can see it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:21 PM »

I hope you're wrong. He brings a dynamism to the show that few others ever do. He's versatile, talented and creative, good with the fans and seems to live for the music.

And one more thing that Nelson can Bragg about:  His girlfriend ain't bad looking.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

I'm guessing that Stamos wouldn't have been involved at all regardless of the backing bands opinions without the consent of the principal Beach Boys.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

I'm guessing that Stamos wouldn't have been involved at all regardless of the backing bands opinions without the consent of the principal Beach Boys.

Which principal Beach Boy(s) would be the question to ask?
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

A real technical problem, or sabotage, whatever. John Stamos didn't belong there and should've stayed in the backstage. Hell, you got at least 15 extremely capable singers on the stage, what do you do when a problem comes up with the video? Call John Stamos to the rescue, of course!

And after watching the video, how convenient that Dennis' voice disappears in between the lines and not abrubtly.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »

The whole event reads like a Full House storyboard, does it not?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »

A real technical problem, or sabotage, whatever. John Stamos didn't belong there and should've stayed in the backstage. Hell, you got at least 15 extremely capable singers on the stage, what do you do when a problem comes up with the video? Call John Stamos to the rescue, of course!

And after watching the video, how convenient that Dennis' voice disappears in between the lines and not abrubtly.

Not exactly a smoking gun.

Just because there are 15 other people on stage--it is presumptuous to assume that each one of them knows the lyrics to "Forever" well enough to step in.  Remember there are no teleprompters available--the only person who had one was Brian.  JS has sung the song countless times and felt comfortable enough to step in.  Plus, I'm not sure any of the back band would have felt comfortable jumping in without the ok from one of the principle members. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:06:08 PM by Justin » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »

you know I've always hated the way he sings the word "forever" it feels so rushed  Tongue

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »

Just because there are 15 other people on stage--it is presumptuous to assume that each one of them knows the lyrics to "Forever" well enough to step in.  Remember there are no teleprompters available--the only person who had one was Brian.  JS has sung the song countless times and felt comfortable enough to step in.  Plus, I'm not sure any of the back band would have felt comfortable jumping in without the ok from one of the principle members.  
Agree, but still... Something still smells here, and it's not me.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »

I’ve said before in other threads, while Stamos himself and “Stamos Incident” from 2012 had no particular actual impact on the band or its legacy, that Stamos situation is a good representation of the dissonance between the ideological/musical/cultural/personality differences between the two main “camps.”

Stamos serves a very good purpose as a sort of litmus test. Whether you like him or loathe him and/or his presence on stage, if you told me that there are two people, two “camps”, one of which *loves* everything about Stamos and his being in the band while the other finds it all annoying and inappropriate, I’d tell you those are two people and two camps that are probably very different from each other in many ways.

As for the “Forever” incident, I won’t reiterate in detail my thoughts on that from my posts back in 2012. Regardless of how the “malfunction” happened, I think it could have been handled differently. Stamos did not *have* to get up there at all. The performance was already a shambles, at least from a technical/logistical standpoint. That he sang the lead vocal for the latter portion of the song did not erase the malfunction from the minds of the audience. He could have let them finish the song as an instrumental, or I can’t imagine he couldn’t have gone back on stage and screamed into one of the band members’ ears that no lead was going out to the audience, and tell them to pick the lead vocal up, and if that didn’t work, then just ride the song out as an instrumental. I know it’s loud and confusing on stage, but it could have been attempted. Frankly, as a “guest” that night, Stamos should have let Foskett or Totten take the lead before he did.

The band and the show in general would not have been measurably worse if they had just done the song as an instrumental, and/or stopped cold and restarted it later. Taking the lead did not “save” the show; it only drew more attention to the malfunction and more attention to Stamos.

It was a split second decision.  And I don't think an instrumental version would have been any better.  The video failed and either scenario wasn't going to improve the situation, the audio dropped and the video continued to flicker on and off even as John began to sing.  There was no way around it.  The line "the show must go on" applies here and while the principles were guilty of being caught in the headlights, they decided to push forward and Stamos thought it'd be best to at least salvage the situation as best as he thought.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »

Which principal Beach Boy(s) would be the question to ask?

My guess would be BRI: Brian, Al, Mike, and Carl's Estate's attorney.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »

You know, it's true. Stamos had recorded a version of the song - there was even a video of it repeatedly shown on TV years earlier and he even did it in an episode of Full House. So who best to step up here? Second best would've been Brian, only if the lyrics were being displayed on his teleprompter. Only question is if this was staged. By Justin's first hand account, it sounds like it wasn't.

Bragg has a bug up his ass about something.....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:17:55 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »

was it a full house that night at The Beacon?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »

Just because there are 15 other people on stage--it is presumptuous to assume that each one of them knows the lyrics to "Forever" well enough to step in.  Remember there are no teleprompters available--the only person who had one was Brian.  JS has sung the song countless times and felt comfortable enough to step in.  Plus, I'm not sure any of the back band would have felt comfortable jumping in without the ok from one of the principle members.  

Yeah but isn't it a coincidence that most fans who believe something stinks here are the ones who genuinely dislike Stamos?  Honestly, if it were anyone else--literally anyone else--running from backstage to sing the song...no one would have brought this up.  But because it's Stamos (and Stamos is apparently the kiss of death) conspiracy theories like this one come up.  

I personally think people's personal vendetta against the guy has clouded their rational judgement.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

Anyone read John Cowsill's responses?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:34:31 PM by Mayoman » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »

I don't really have anything against the guy, other than he's a big hamburger on stage.  Maybe I'm a little jealous because he gets a lot more p*ssy than I do, but other than that he's OK.

P.S. Guess Cowsill just told it like it is. Kinda embarrassing, ain't it?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:31:29 PM by Mikie » Logged

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »

Yeah but isn't it a coincidence that most fans who believe something stinks here are the ones who genuinely dislike Stamos?  Honestly, if it were anyone else--literally anyone else--running from backstage to sing the song...no one would have brought this up.  But because it's Stamos (and Stamos is apparently the kiss of death) conspiracy theories like this one come up.  

I personally think people's personal vendetta against the guy has clouded their rational judgement.
That may be true on some level. I don't personally have anything against him. If he wants to play guitar here and there and the "true members" are cool with that, that's great. But he raping a classic in front of a paying audience... Sorry. I would've been really pissed off if I was there. And seriously, uhmmm, are you people trying to say that no one from the C50 band knew the words to Forever? I'm sure Brian knew the words, Jeff knew the words, even Mike. Even I know the words, they're not that hard to remember. And you'd think they'd prepared for a situation like that. Anyway, good for Stamos, he definetely got some ladies that night!  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:30:14 PM by RiC » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »

I don't really have anything against the guy, other than he's a big hamburger on stage.  Maybe I'm a little jealous because he gets a lot more p*ssy than I do, but other than that he's OK.
This!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx