gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:53:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's funny, Mike Love has often completley reinvented himself on stage  (Read 5114 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

I usually think of Mike Love's image and demeanor as being pretty much the same on stage. Since the 1980s, I'd say his approach has been similar. Weird dancing, Hawaiian shirts, etc. But over the entire history of the band, he has gone through several different "stage transformations."

In the earliest days of the Beach Boys, like the first half of the 1960s, it seemed that Mike played up a typical "jock" image. Think of him as an early 60s "meathead" who wore his letter jacket to school. As the 60s went on, his image became perhaps slightly more subdued to fit in with the times. Then he went into his TM phase and was dressed in white robes like a philosopher. He had a huge beard. Around that time or after, he seemed to play up to the serious album rock audiences of the time too, and kept his personality on stage tame (though perhaps due management's suggestions too). In the mid-to-late 1970s he was wearing all kind of flashy clothes, and dancing around boisterously in an effeminate manner akin to Mick Jagger. By the 1980s he became more "macho" again. Which is kind of where he has stayed.

Anyone else want to expound on these descriptions, or add more eras than I've thought of? It seems that Mike Love's stage act is more multifaceted (though still often cringe worthy) than I normally give credit for.  And which of these images/styles do you prefer/abhor?
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »

I don't have any styles to add but you have to give Mike credit for being one hell of a front man. As much as Brian was the genius behind the music it was Mike making sure that fans got involved, that the band got good (and bad!) press and that they didn't just stand there playing their instruments. That wouldn't have been entertaining at all. I can imagine that it also took a lot of the attention away from Brian in the early days which was a good thing.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »

My favorite version of Mike Love is the hippie/TM/long-bearded one. Not sayin' that anybody would ever want to produce any, but imagine a series of McFarlane Rock Figures of Mike Love? It sure would be funny to swap the clothing on them. I don't see too many guys with ZZ Top beards wearing loud Hawaiian shirts. Hahaha....I need to get out more...

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

My favorite version of Mike Love is the hippie/TM/long-bearded one. Not sayin' that anybody would ever want to produce any, but imagine a series of McFarlane Rock Figures of Mike Love? It sure would be funny to swap the clothing on them. I don't see too many guys with ZZ Top beards wearing loud Hawaiian shirts. Hahaha....I need to get out more...

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »

Well I'll be gosh darned.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »

I was thinking about this earlier.  I'm a big fan of Mike's.  I wish he would wear more of the goofy sh*t like he used to.  He's a little too serious now, which I think has hurt his image and made him look like more of an asshole than he actually is.  Turban-wearing Mike Love is much harder to view as an asshole. 

I wish everybody could get the enjoyment I get out of this guy.  He's hilarious, down to his "Beach Boys" hat with a logo from 1983... or how he shoehorns song titles into every interview "A Surfin' Safari, if you will" ... a lot of people see that stuff as infuriating but I choose to see it as hilarious.  His ridiculous lawsuits.  His backhanded compliments.  His backhanded insults.  His irrational love of John Stamos.  His complete unwillingness to grow old or die.  He's literally been touring longer than anybody, and with HIS FIRST FUCKING BAND.  Maybe B. B. King's been out there longer than him, but that's about it.  He's not even slowing down! 

Mike Love is the definition of a Rock Star. 

This guy is BY FAR the most interesting beach boy.  He has more charisma, more life blood than all the other Beach Boys combined.  He's no Mick Jagger but he's damn close. 

You cannot argue against this by saying he has no talent, because that only reinforces the point: He's been touring, with his FIRST band, for 52 years.  You can't say he's an asshole, because, again, it doesn't matter since he's still kicking ass.  Who cares if he's an asshole?  He's winning like Charlie Sheen would need to do for another 25 years to even come close.  Sheen won't make it that long! 

THIS MOTHERFUCKER'S BEEN MARRIED 5 TIMES

1. He's a vegetarian
2. He's got 9 kids
3. he claims he meditates
4. he wears gold rings all over the place
5. nobody claims to like him, but yet he's been touring, successfully, for 52 years with 1 band.

There has never been a greater Rock Star than Mike Love. 

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »

I hope that was a joke, but you wrote some excellent points. I agree about the current day Mike, he would seem a lot cooler if he wouldn't play that safe. Looks like to me that he's been doing the same thing and dressed the same style for at least 25 years. I've always loved he's onstage jokes. Especially in the late 60's live recordings. He's funny as a great comedian. Plus I think Mick Jagger looks much more stupid with his moves than Mike.
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »

You cannot argue against this by saying he has no talent, because that only reinforces the point: He's been touring, with his FIRST band, for 52 years.  You can't say he's an asshole, because, again, it doesn't matter since he's still kicking ass.  Who cares if he's an asshole?  He's winning like Charlie Sheen would need to do for another 25 years to even come close.  Sheen won't make it that long! 

LOL
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »

I was thinking about this earlier.  I'm a big fan of Mike's.  I wish he would wear more of the goofy sh*t like he used to.  He's a little too serious now, which I think has hurt his image and made him look like more of an asshole than he actually is.  Turban-wearing Mike Love is much harder to view as an asshole. 

I wish everybody could get the enjoyment I get out of this guy.  He's hilarious, down to his "Beach Boys" hat with a logo from 1983... or how he shoehorns song titles into every interview "A Surfin' Safari, if you will" ... a lot of people see that stuff as infuriating but I choose to see it as hilarious.  His ridiculous lawsuits.  His backhanded compliments.  His backhanded insults.  His irrational love of John Stamos.  His complete unwillingness to grow old or die.  He's literally been touring longer than anybody, and with HIS FIRST FUCKING BAND.  Maybe B. B. King's been out there longer than him, but that's about it.  He's not even slowing down! 

This guy is BY FAR the most interesting beach boy.  He has more charisma, more life blood than all the other Beach Boys combined.  He's no Mick Jagger but he's damn close. 

1. He's a vegetarian
2. He's got 9 kids
5. nobody claims to like him, but yet he's been touring, successfully, for 52 years with 1 band.

This was one of the best (AND most historically accurate) posts I've read on this board in some time.  I've never been a huge fan of Love, but I do recognize what the man – his many faults and eccentricities notwithstanding – has meant to the success of the Beach Boys.  I even agree with the final sentence of your post, though it was mildly ridiculed by another poster.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »

According to Peter Carlin, while Bruce got worked up about Billboard Magazine and Al offered soda and chips to guests, Mike liked downing his Heinekens.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »

According to Peter Carlin, while Bruce got worked up about Billboard Magazine and Al offered soda and chips to guests, Mike liked downing his Heinekens.
Meditating and drinking beer, and living in pebble beach and Tahoe.   I can dig it!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »

Come on, Bray's beard isn't that long!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »

1. He's a vegetarian
2. He's got 9 kids

Here here!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

Come on, Bray's beard isn't that long!

It's getting pretty long!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

And which of these images/styles do you prefer/abhor?
Prefer: country rock star style, when he wore jeans & long dark-blue shirt. If talk about current time - see the California Girls FB videomessage to Howard Stern (HB).
Dislike: striped shirt, white slacks. He didn't look cool with those imo. It fits Dennis & Al (esp. non-tucked-in).

Additionally, I actually liked the golden glossy phase of Mike. That jacket is beautiful. Can't say the same about his clownade on stage, though. Mick Jagger won't be surpassed by other similar move dancers.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx