gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:00:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 133299 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »

Another rocket attack between camps?

From Nelson's Facebook page:

….a shame John sabotaged the Dennis Wilson video at The Beacon In NYC at the 2012 Beach Boys big 50th show …fake malfunction??...(towel around neck..waiting in the wing) to "save the day" as it were, in order to "show respect" and basically reinvent the word DOUCH?? John Stamos? We saw what you did…I was there…I saw the whole charade go down. Dennis Wilson would have punched your fucking lights out. no respect. Beach Boy fan? You? Are you fucking high??? Your the worst. Enjoy your golf buddies in Mike's band. - Nelson Bragg

From the couple of times I've met him, I rate Nelson as a hugely talented genuinely nice guy so this kind of severity is surprising. Or is it a wind up?

Btw if you've not heard his solo albums, your pace needs quickening! Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »

Oh my.  Shocked

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »

I already posted it in the "Beacon" reviews thread earlier today. I hope a thread in the main section doesn't get out of hand. Lips Sealed

But yes, I must say, this is a surprise coming from Bragg. Especially in that 'tone'. Guess we have confirmation now for what many of us had already suspected.

Btw if you've not heard his solo albums, your pace needs quickening! Grin
Yap! I really liked his latest:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »

If only OSD was here for this madness!!!!!! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »

When Stamos joined them for the JB show that year, he played drums on a few more songs than usual, and screwed up the verse part of "I Get Around". Nelson was visibly agitated at the time as I recall.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »

Maybe Stamos stole his chick.

Why would he lash out so long after the fact?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »

Maybe Stamos stole his chick.

Why would he lash out so long after the fact?

Maybe he just read the (relatively) recent profile of Stamos in Guitar Aficionado? Or saw the TMZ coverage about the Manson claim?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »

I already posted it in the "Beacon" reviews thread earlier today. I hope a thread in the main section doesn't get out of hand.

That was my fear but figured it's too out-there to slip on the end if a 2 year old review thread! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

It doesn't appear as if the post if still on Nelson's FB page--unless I am missing it somehow. It does say the last post, dated 6/12, was edited--was that where it appeared?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »

Still up there. Posted eight hours ago ...

www.facebook.com/nelson.bragg
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »

Where is the smoking unplugged guitar? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

The epitome of classless.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:32:42 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

When it happened I figured it was just a fake because of how seriously angry the band members were (see the Rolling Stone article) but then I was told by others that they really had problems with the video so I didn't think much more about it.
What can I say? I wasn't there, I don't have any insight or information. I think it it could've been just a way to get Stamos on stage; it wouldn't be the first time the Beach Boys did something in bad taste. But I don't have much reason to really assert it was just a "hoax"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »

Well, I figure if Stamos really really wanted to be on stage and sing one lead he'd just ask his pal Mike and the Lovester would arrange it. Even if it happened just like Bragg is saying, what good will it bring to spill teh beans after two years? It's like Jeff Beck describing in interviews how comatose Brian was in the studio. I guess the Beach Boys' trademark classless is contagious.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »

Being a fan of this band has really become something of a nightmare.....

Jason
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »

My fandom of the band is not based on what associates think. It's based on the music. I couldn't care less what a member of Brian's band (or any of the other bands) thinks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »

This kinda ties in with what I, and I'm presuming several others here, was told at the time, that the band were very unhappy with JS being there and doing what he did.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »

My fandom of the band is not based on what associates think. It's based on the music. I couldn't care less what a member of Brian's band (or any of the other bands) thinks.

+1
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

Slightly off track: From what two of the principles told me that night after the show, unlike the Carl vocal track on GOK being locked to the picture, the Dennis vocal was not (or vice versa?) For whatever reason, the musicians couldn’t hear that the Dennis vocal was not playing and were carrying on obliviously to a vocal-less performance. Personally, I was disappointed because “Forever” wasn’t played in New Orleans and this would be my first shot at seeing the new “production.” There were audible groans when Stamos “saved the day" -- along with the 19 other times during the show that he appeared doing schtick and bringing the musicianship of the band down.

My wife said the perfect line: "So, does he just get to come out on stage and do whatever her wants?"

Yep.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

I understood at the time that there was a legitimate malfunction. At the time, there didn't seem to be a big controversy about it and many thought that Stamos indeed "saved the day". It would be interesting to find out if it was a set-up, but it's a little hard to believe if it's true. Like the previous poster said, all he'd have to do is ask Mike to get up there and sing. Guess you really had to be there to see what really went down.

Something musta happened recently to piss Nelson off. Why would he wait this long to voice his displeasure over this issue? Is Stamos getting more gigs than Nelson these days?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »

I was front row at that gig and there was definite confusion on stage between the principle band members.  When it was clear DW's vocal was not going to be heard, Jeff motioned to Brian to jump in and start singing.  Brian did not seem to understand him.  Mike and Al looked at each other wondering what to do.  Stamos eventually did walk out and sing the lead.  If it was all planned then it was something planned privately between John and the sound guys (and maybe Mike) because it appeared no one on stage knew what was going on.  I do recall JS saying at the end of the performance that it was a good thing he was backstage and was able to save the song.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was not planned.  From the get-go, he had always been respectful of the C50 tour and giving the band enough space and attention without him.  It doesn't seem to be in his character to plan something underhanded like this.  Nelson's comments come off as very surprising and I'd guess something recently happened for him to bring to light a 2 year old incident like this. 
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »

The epitome of classless.

so it's classless to call out someone else's classlessness? hm.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »

It is a little silly from the standpoint that not only is it two years old "news" (if it is news at all), but that he posted it where very few people could see it, including John himself. Maybe Nelson was hoping the post would leak into other parts of the Internet.  Nelson needs to learn to spell (douche without the e at the end, your instead of you're).   
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

oh it'll leak alright  Smokin
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »

If planned, it didn't much for Stamos' image, did it? There must be some crap going between Bragg and Stamos. And I kinda like Bragg less after this. It is annoying addressing an imaginary list of people Dennis would punch. Let him RIP and solve your problems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:06:49 PM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx