gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:29:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secret Smile / Get The Boot / Psychedelic Sounds / Smile SOT Source Tape  (Read 7330 times)
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:02:26 AM »

Does anyone have any info on these releases? I have the 1 disc version of 'Get The Boot' (also referred to as the "convention CD" on some sites - what "convention", by the way?) and the 'Secret Smile' set as mp3's. I did a quick check of my 'Get The Boot' CD and it turned out that only 3 or 4 tracks out of 25 were lossless. Are all circulating copies of this material in lossy format? Are these all fan created CDR's? What about the 'Smile - SOT Source Tape'? Is this a fan release?

Lots of questions, I know, but I'd love to know more about these discs...

Pim_Derks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:19:28 AM »

I just got the SOT source tape last week (as FLAC files). The package includes scans of the artwork and it looks like a release and not a fan-made item. I believe Secret Smile is a mp3-only 'release'.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:09:30 AM »

I just got the SOT source tape last week (as FLAC files). The package includes scans of the artwork and it looks like a release and not a fan-made item. I believe Secret Smile is a mp3-only 'release'.

Yeah, I got the SOT Source Tape about a week ago as well, and the catalogue number ('CMYK'-something) is in the same style as the double CD version of 'Get The Boot', meaning both of these releases should exist as "real" releases.
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:11:52 AM »

Full reviews of "Get The Boot" can be found here:
http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/04/getting-boots.html
http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/04/get-boot-disc-two.html

Information on "Psychedelic Sounds" boot can be found here:
http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/04/shades-of-blue-and-purple-haunt-me.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 05:21:30 AM by DJ M » Logged
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 06:05:30 AM »

So what tunes from this set of boots are available in lossless quality?
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »

What's on the SOT Source Tape?  Anything that didn't make the box?
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:23:59 AM »

So what tunes from this set of boots are available in lossless quality?

That pretty much sums up my question. I mean, all this stuff must have come from somewhere...

Oh, and thanks for the link DJ M. Lots of great stuff to read! *bookmark*
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »

What's on the SOT Source Tape?  Anything that didn't make the box?

I haven't listened to the entire disc yet, but here are the liner notes for the SOT Source Tape.

The Sea Of Tunes  series of Beach Boys bootleg CD's hit the collectors market by storm in the late 1990s. Never before had the casual fan had such an inside perspective on the process that built the Beach Boys biggest hits. These landmark releases allowed fans to be flies on the wall of the studios where Brian Wilson called the shots. No title was more anticipated than the legendary SMiLE sessions; whereas other Sea Of Tunes  releases gave fans a different perspective on an already fully realised album, the SMiLE box set did more: it offered clues and tantalising keys to the ultimate puzzle that is the Beach Boys' most ambitious and elusive work. Today, oddities such as the "Rock Me, Henry" version of Wonderful recorded in January, the early versions of Wind Chimes and Child Is Father Of The Man, and the mysterious Vega Tables  argument session are firmly etched in the SMiLE legend, but before 1999, no one could have imagined their existence. No one, that is, except the lucky few who happened to score a copy of one of the exclusive tapes that made the rounds prior to the bootleg release. The music on this CD is taken from one of those tapes. Most of it has now been made obsolete by the cleaner, more comprehensive Sea Of Tunes box set, but nevertheless it is interesting to hear it in this context. And, if you listen closely, you just might hear a few things you've never heard before; for example, takes 8 - 10 of Fire, extra takes of Child Is Father Of The Man  and Wonderful, a session excerpt from Friday Night / I Wanna Be Around, and the complete backing track to Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine.
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »

I am extremely interested in getting that Psychadelic sounds album.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »

Thank Him (For Our Love?) off of Get the Boot is amazing.  Top song. I managed to get that one. There is alot off of those boots I don't have.  I am dying to hear the alternative "Oh! Darling!.

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »

All the CMYK albums are fan releases ( .. the artwork is exceptional). I've got 13 of their releases. They were a fan-made effort and a labour of love. From what I can honestly remember, the 2 people who made these fan discs got threatened with legal action several years ago and did indeed .. cease and decist (spl). That's all I'm going to say on it ( .. as my memory can get a little cloudy), but just to let you know .. these discs weren't anything that I had a hand in whatsoever.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »

I am dying to hear the alternative "Oh! Darling!.

Not very good. Brian's in poor voice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

Maybe, but for some reason I think he sounds better than Carl on that despite Carl's voice being better. Call me crazy but Brian's voice, shredded as it was, fit the song better. It sounds more, I dunno, passionate than Carl, who sounds sleepy (or drunk).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »

All the CMYK albums are fan releases ( .. the artwork is exceptional). I've got 13 of their releases. They were a fan-made effort and a labour of love. From what I can honestly remember, the 2 people who made these fan discs got threatened with legal action several years ago and did indeed .. cease and decist (spl). That's all I'm going to say on it ( .. as my memory can get a little cloudy), but just to let you know .. these discs weren't anything that I had a hand in whatsoever.

Were there 13 (!) CMYK releases made? Any chance of getting a complete discography of those titles? And were they all CDR's or factory made silver discs?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »

Maybe, but for some reason I think he sounds better than Carl on that despite Carl's voice being better. Call me crazy but Brian's voice, shredded as it was, fit the song better. It sounds more, I dunno, passionate than Carl, who sounds sleepy (or drunk).

I agree, I think the song is as dull as can be, and Carl (great singer that he was) sometimes put in really boring vocals (controversial!) - Full sail, Goin South, Oh Darling etc..
Brians vocal on Oh Darling sounds like he's in pain, but it fits the song better, though it's still turgid.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 07:28:06 AM »

I agree, I think the song is as dull as can be, and Carl (great singer that he was) sometimes put in really boring vocals (controversial!) - Full sail, Goin South, Oh Darling etc..
Brians vocal on Oh Darling sounds like he's in pain, but it fits the song better, though it's still turgid.

I LOVE Carl's vocals on Full Sail and Goin' South! Controversial, indeed!
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

Were there 13 (!) CMYK releases made? Any chance of getting a complete discography of those titles? And were they all CDR's or factory made silver discs?

All the discs were cd-r's, no factory made silver discs.

The titles are:

Smiley Smile Sessions CMYK1971-84 (2 Disc set)
High On Hawaii CMYK1971-78 (2 Disc set)
Heroes And Villains Vol.1 CMYK1971-89
Heroes And Villains Vol.2 CMYK1971-101
The Secret SMiLE CMYK1971-104 (2 Disc set)
It's Not Easy Bein' Green CMYK1971-58
Get The Boot CMYK1971-94 (1 Disc) *I know there was a later 2 disc version made, btw*
The Ones You Can't Have Disc.1 CMYK1971-06
The Ones You Can't Have Disc.2 CMYK1971-07
The Ones You Can't Have Disc.3 CMYK1971-08
Psychedelic Sounds CMYK1971-100 (2 Disc set)
The Cocaine Sessions CMYK1971-44
Sea Of Tunes Source Tape CMYK1971-103

.. there could be more, but that's all that I acquired.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
MBE
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »

Agreed totally
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »

Smiley Smile Sessions CMYK1971-84 (2 Disc set)
Heroes And Villains Vol.1 CMYK1971-89
Heroes And Villains Vol.2 CMYK1971-101

Anything on these that hasn't appeared on other boots?
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 12:42:14 AM »

At the time they appeared, there were a few things not available on them; but now I've seen those other things appear elsewhere, so .. if you're a collector, you've probably got everything on these discs by now.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx