gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:26:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turntable Setup Advice (preamps, headphone amps etc)  (Read 1284 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:23 AM »

Not sure this is the right section for this but seems the closest..

After using cheap turntables for years Ive decided to splash out and finally get a proper system.

Ive decided after research to buy this Debut Carbon Turntable - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Turntable-Black/dp/B00E9XII9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406626919&sr=8-2&keywords=pro-ject+debut+carbon - The "inclusion of a CARBON TUBE for the tonearm, which increases stiffness and decreases unwanted resonance" seems a big selling point in all the reviews Ive read plus it just about fits into my price range.

Where I get confused is when it comes to preamps and headphone amps. I like to listen to music loud so to spare the neighbours would prefer to listen on headphones for now (got a really good set) and invest in decent speakers hopefully in a few months.

So I think this means I have to buy a preamp and headbox (amp) - I was thinking of sticking with pro-ject and looking at these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Box-MM-Turntable-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B000YEK1AQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F456WWW9GXF0DB42BGD and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Headbox-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B000EAT7FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406627187&sr=1-1&keywords=pro-ject+head+box

Its a good bit of extra cash for the amps, should I look for something cheaper amp-wise or would that be a bad idea?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:22 AM »

Have you been into a HiFi shop to test out a few items in the flesh? 

That's the first thing you need to do now you've done the research; where you eventually buy from is up to you, but if you are interested in getting some good gear, try and get in store and talk it up; and set a budget (per component) so the HiFi guys know what to steer you towards - they will also have a comparable products in stock so you can test some items you may not have considered/heard of.

Take in a CD, favourite album, or hi quality dig files on a usb (not a frickin' iphone) of your fav tracks/something you are familiar with. Oh, and your headphones of course.  If you're worried about getting fleeced, leave your credit card and cash at home, so you have time to collect your thoughts and make you decision.

If you're going to invest in speakers in a couple of months, you may consider getting an integrated amp that has:
- headphone jack
- a built in Phono pre-amp

Here's an example of a good entry level rig:
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,Integrated-Amplifiers,a38.htm

Cambridge Audio and NAD are good buys - again, the amount of bread you want to shell will inform your selection.

Headphone stages/pre's are great if you're listening to music from digital sources (eg laptop) and good with an integrated DAC - but a bit of overkill unless you have some serious audiophile convictions to fulfill (imo). Again, if you've got the bread, go bananas, but I'd get started with the phono/amp/speaker combo and then get the headphone pre as a nice to have down the track.

For speakers, essential you listen first, as per the above - again, depends on your budget - some recommended brands to start with are Monitor Audio, Paradgym.

As far as the turntable goes, compare with the Rega RP3.  Again, if you can get in store, that's the best way to go about it.

I don't blast my speakers; if you have a good set-up you'll likely find you don't need to, as your listening experience will be richer and more balanced and not defiled by lousy gear.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »

Thanks for the help Alan.

I have seen/heard the Debut Carbon Turntable in action and am quite keen having read all the reviews as well. Im not really in a position to visit hi-fi stores at the moment due to location.

My overall budget is small - probably about €500 for turntable plus preamps (not including speakers) so the A38 would unfortunately be way out of range (got a wedding to pay for this year  Smiley  ) -  I can get the Debut Carbon for €299.

A really hi-end system is out for me at the moment but the Debut Carbon is upgradeable so it might be a good place to start climbing the ladder.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx