gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New EP - Day By Day  (Read 5868 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »

Hey folks,

Some of you might remember I was talking about releasing a project of 60's styled music. Well, here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/shuko/sets/henry-hemingway-day-by-day-ep

Check it out & feel free to share it if u like it!

Best,
J
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »

Dooooood, nice Northern Soul-ish vibe to Day By Day.  I love it.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »

Nice.  Keep Your Hands also has a northern soul vibe.  Are you into so-called northern soul?

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

Four great songs, though the first two were my favorites.  I liked the piano "solo" on the last song, Tell Me.  It almost sounded like a harpsichord for a second.

Thanks for sharing, I really liked it.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

Nice.  Keep Your Hands also has a northern soul vibe.  Are you into so-called northern soul?

Thanks, glad u dig it!

So, I figured I'd wait til someone mentioned it! All of the songs are based on old instrumentals (most of them Northern Soul).

I wrote and arranged the songs themselves, and the tracks do have embellishments, but for the most part the backing tracks are just remakes of these old instrumentals.

I remade them all using VSTs (minus guitars and tambourine). Except for "So f***ed Up Without You", which has live drums and a live brass section, courtesy of my co-producer out in Germany.

It was quite a fun project to put together, and there are many more songs done. So expect a part 2 at some point!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:49:08 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »

Hey, all four tracks are stellar. I especially liked "So F....ed Up Without You", it could be a hit, but it could have done with another word in place of the expletive. What was your reasoning for including that word in place of something else? Especially for such a early 60s pop-soul vibe song. I'm not offended, but I just don't really feel it fits.

(pssst - Turn Down Day by The Cyrkle, track #4!!!)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:31:57 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »

Ha, great idea.  I didn't recognize the actual tracks but then I don't know any NS instrumentals, everything I love has vocals.  We should trade notes someday, I've spent days downloading NS and still haven't listened to all of it.  I'd have to dig up my old hard drive where it is all stored.  I'll post some of it if I can find it.  Glad to know someone else on the board is into it.

BTW, a movie about northern soul was supposed to be out this year.  Have you heard anything about it?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:34:47 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »

Hey, all four tracks are stellar. I especially liked "So F....ed Up Without You", it could be a hit, but it could have done with another word in place of the expletive. What was your reasoning for including that word in place of something else? Especially for such a early 60s pop-soul vibe song. I'm not offended, but I just don't really feel it fits.

(pssst - Turn Down Day by The Cyrkle, track #4!!!)

Thanks man, glad u like it! And yeah, good call on "Turn Down Day"!

As far as "So F'd Up". I guess that's just what I was feeling at the time. It's actually the first song I wrote for the project. The whole song is kinda exploring my negative side.. talking about getting high, being anti social, not taking showers, etc lol. When and if that's ever happened in my life, I'd explain it as me feeling "f'd up" over a situation. I guess it could've been "So depressed without you", but I don't know if has the same effectiveness haha.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »

Ha, great idea.  I didn't recognize the actual tracks but then I don't know any NS instrumentals, everything I love has vocals.  We should trade notes someday, I've spent days downloading NS and still haven't listened to all of it.  I'd have to dig up my old hard drive where it is all stored.  I'll post some of it if I can find it.  Glad to know someone else on the board is into it.

BTW, a movie about northern soul was supposed to be out this year.  Have you heard anything about it?

I haven't heard anything about that, but I'd definitely be interested in checking it out! Those tracks are so great. I've also got countless NS songs. Most of the ones I grabbed are instrumental (which some apparently were originally released as instrumentals). In fact, for some of the instrumentals I've tried desperately to find the vocal versions, but haven't had luck in most cases. Seems like some of it is really hard to come by, unless you have the original vinyl releases. Also, the quality varies from release to release for some of the songs. Did a ton of hunting to try to find the cleanest instrumental versions (before I ended up remaking everything!)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:44:43 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »

The production is outstanding! Everything is mixed perfectly, as usual with all your work. And as usual, your vocals are fantastic.

My favorite would have to be "I'm So f***ed Up Without You" - personally, I think the "f***ed" flows really well with what you're singing - so it definitely works to my ears.

Tell Me - that piano is mindblowingly cool.

Excellent work seltaeb!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »

The production is outstanding! Everything is mixed perfectly, as usual with all your work. And as usual, your vocals are fantastic.

My favorite would have to be "I'm So f***ed Up Without You" - personally, I think the "f***ed" flows really well with what you're singing - so it definitely works to my ears.

Tell Me - that piano is mindblowingly cool.

Excellent work seltaeb!

Thanks man, much appreciated!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »

Love it! Sounds totally pristine - excellent production and vocals. Keep Your Hands and So f***ed Up are my faves.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:07 AM »

Love it! Sounds totally pristine - excellent production and vocals. Keep Your Hands and So f***ed Up are my faves.

Thanks a lot, man! As much as I battled my guys in Germany on the mix and master, they did a bang up job.

I appreciate all the feedback. You guys are inspiring me to make more of this stuff!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:48:51 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »

Think I figured out "So F*cked Up"....."Hand It Over" by Chuck Jackson?

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 06:10:34 AM »

Think I figured out "So F*cked Up"....."Hand It Over" by Chuck Jackson?

Whoa! That's it! How'd you figure it out?

This is the first time I'm hearing the original vocal. Wow. Interesting how different writers can come up with entirely different toplines to a track.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:51 AM »

I'm a Chuck Jackson fan and I instinctively knew that melody when I heard your track, it just took me a little bit to figure out where I knew it from Smiley

Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »

I love it man. You have a great voice.  Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:04:50 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »

I love it man. You have a great voice.  Smiley

Really great - production, vocals, and songwriting are top-notch.

Thanks a lot guys!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 05:32:45 AM »

Yes! I've been hoping for something like this from you ever since you posted a soulful cover of Old Man River ages ago.  Smiley I love your vocals Seltaeb!

This is an extremely cool and well-executed project. Great idea behind it. We're you by chance inspired by London-based producer Shawn Lee? He did the same some years ago grabbing a bunch of vintage backing tracks although he kept it straight and just sang the well-known songs under the pseydonym Bobby Valentine. (http://shawnlee.bandcamp.com/album/bobbys-world) Your way of going about this is much cooler & creative.

You should have a go at doing something similar with this unreleaeed and mysterious Gold Star backing track that has only survived as an acetate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf53KTNwCHA&list=PL30230FD400D6EC78

In the Surf School Dropouts camp we're currently working on our own attempt at a Motown-like soul stomper with horns etc. If we manage to get just an inch of your soulfulness in the lead vocal on there I'll be glad!  Grin

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:47 AM »

Yes! I've been hoping for something like this from you ever since you posted a soulful cover of Old Man River ages ago.  Smiley I love your vocals Seltaeb!

This is an extremely cool and well-executed project. Great idea behind it. We're you by chance inspired by London-based producer Shawn Lee? He did the same some years ago grabbing a bunch of vintage backing tracks although he kept it straight and just sang the well-known songs under the pseydonym Bobby Valentine. (http://shawnlee.bandcamp.com/album/bobbys-world) Your way of going about this is much cooler & creative.

You should have a go at doing something similar with this unreleaeed and mysterious Gold Star backing track that has only survived as an acetate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf53KTNwCHA&list=PL30230FD400D6EC78

In the Surf School Dropouts camp we're currently working on our own attempt at a Motown-like soul stomper with horns etc. If we manage to get just an inch of your soulfulness in the lead vocal on there I'll be glad!  Grin

Thank you man! Glad you liked it.

I hadn't heard of Bobby Valentine, but I'm gonna check it out!

I remember when that Wrecking Crew track popped up. That's a great idea, I just might do that!

Looking forward to hearing the new Motown track. I'm sure it'll be great!!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »

I remember when that Wrecking Crew track popped up. That's a great idea, I just might do that!

Go for it! There are a few vintage Gold Star backing tracks to choose from, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJ3TW-CyMU

Could be a fun concept!

Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Man, this is a cool EP!  Thanks for sharing it.  It sounds great!

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »

Go for it! There are a few vintage Gold Star backing tracks to choose from, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJ3TW-CyMU

Could be a fun concept!

Oh man. That track is so good. Might have to mess with it, haha.

Man, this is a cool EP!  Thanks for sharing it.  It sounds great!

Thanks so much, man!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx